Random Randomness.

13 hours ago, Screwball said:

Or maybe not; there is only one class act here, and it ain't her.

Remarkable how Dolly has ascended to the level of national treasure, and when I see historical things like this, it’s easy to see her laying groundwork for that.

• Like 1

Nobody is going to care about this.  But it was announced today that Noma is closing at the end of 2024.  Noma is generally considered the best restaurant in the world.

They are going to become a food laboratory for their e-commerce division.  The dinging room will periodically still open, I assume to test products.

On 1/9/2023 at 11:34 AM, Deleterious said:

Nobody is going to care about this.  But it was announced today that Noma is closing at the end of 2024.  Noma is generally considered the best restaurant in the world.

They are going to become a food laboratory for their e-commerce division.  The dinging room will periodically still open, I assume to test products.

I was surprised to see Frank Bruni with a column about this on the NYT Op-Ed page, but I didn't know Frank started out as restuarant reviewer!

I think the long and short of it is that art of all forms thrives under aristocracy because only they have the money to support it. We've been in a very 1%er world in recent decades which is what makes places like NOMA -at a couple of grand billed per table - possible. Maybe there is at the least the beginnings of a reaction toward a period when we will move toward more equitable distributions, or at least reaching a point where to be so conspicuous about wealth starts to become frowned upon, and a place like NOMA may be the coal mine canary for the leading edge of the trend. Or not.....¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by gehringer_2

My buddy has a habit I think is a little strange, although maybe it's more common than I realize.

He goes to a lot of games with me, and we generally arrive 15 to 30 minutes before first pitch, tipoff, puck drop, whatever. Whenever we do, he immediately gets his one hot dog and mows through it, finishing it well before game time. Me, I like to wait until the game starts to get a hot dog so I can enjoy it while the game is in progress. I'm not sure how I came around to that, but that's how I happen to enjoy food at an event. There's something about the experience where I like them to go together. If I was hungry and wanted to eat before the event started, I'd go to dinner before going to the stadium.

This came up again because we went to see a movie recently. I bought a medium popcorn and he bought a small. I nibbled on my popcorn here and there during the previews but saved the vast majority of it for the main feature. He tore through his popcorn during the ads and previews and was done well before the movie started. When I saw what he'd done I chuckled and asked him why he always finishes his food before game or movie time. He shrugged and said it's because he's hungry, but also, he doesn't like to be distracted by eating while the event is in progress. OK, totally valid. You do you.

So that got me wondering how people here enjoy food during a game or movie—is it before the game/movie and you're done, or do you wait until during?

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Someone placed this bet when the Chargers were up 27-0.  I thought it was possibly photoshopped but the book that took the bet confirmed it was real.  

I mean, you kind of deserve it.

Fmg5sPZXkAMvrGA?format=jpg&name=large

So, let’s pretend I’m an idiot.

I don’t know what the -12500 means.  But it appears this individual wagered $1.4M in order to turn that into $1.4…M, a net gain of only $11,200?  So the risk is losing that $1.4M and the reward is recapturing the $1.4M along with the $11.2K?  Seems not worth the effort, but I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know what the -12500 means.  But it appears this individual wagered $1.4M in order to turn that into $1.4…M, a net gain of only $11,200?  So the risk is losing that $1.4M and the reward is recapturing the $1.4M along with the $11.2K?  Seems not worth the effort, but I could be wrong.

That is exactly what he did.  Why someone with over a million dollars would do that for just $11,000 is beyond me.  

The -12500 are the payout odds on the moneyline.  Using a more normal example of Cavs vs Pistons and the Cavs moneyline is say, -200.  The negative means the Cavs are the favorite.  And the -200 means you bet $1 to win 50 cents.

A point spread bet also has odds, normally -110.  So say the Cavs are -5 -110.  If the Cavs win by 6 and you bet $1 you would win 91 cents.

That is how books usually make their money.  I bet a dollar on Detroit and lose the entire dollar.  You bet a dollar on Cleveland and win 91 cents.  The book makes 9 cents.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 9:24 AM, casimir said:

I believe -12500 means you bet $12,500 to win $100.

If the line is +12500, that means you bet $100 to win $12,500.

The favorite is always the minus team.

EDIT: lol all i had to do was scroll down one post ...

Edited by chasfh

So the other day was National DJ Day.    I don't know why we get a day.  We're mostly unstable lunatics that could never get a real job.  But I did - I work at a hospital.  I work in research.........mostly recruiting and scheduling people for allergy and asthma studies and I am doing well there.  I won't say where (because they may not understand my sarcastic humor) but I always get the feeling that they're going to figure me out and send me packing.   I think every *former* radio person feels like that, based on what some of my facebook radio friends say.         I still work at 2 stations (from home).   On the air every day in a city I have not set foot in since the 90's, it's kind of weird.  

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So the other day was National DJ Day.    I don't know why we get a day.  We're mostly unstable lunatics that could never get a real job.  But I did - I work at a hospital.  I work in research.........mostly recruiting and scheduling people for allergy and asthma studies and I am doing well there.  I won't say where (because they may not understand my sarcastic humor) but I always get the feeling that they're going to figure me out and send me packing.   I think every *former* radio person feels like that, based on what some of my facebook radio friends say.         I still work at 2 stations (from home).   On the air every day in a city I have not set foot in since the 90's, it's kind of weird.  

Covid was such a game-changer.  More & more talent are working from home, which I don't mind at all from an on-air standpoint.  Content is content - but I think it takes a really strong leader at the office to make sure they are engaged with their local audience, & with the rest of the staff - unless of course they're just tracking.

22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I was working nights at a machine shop on the 530pm to 6am shift. We had a hot job that required 24/7 and they didn’t want to create a third shift just for that. I woke up at about 1130am to all three networks pre-emptying programming for it. Also, I remember the date because it’s my brother’s birthday.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I was working nights at a machine shop on the 530pm to 6am shift. We had a hot job that required 24/7 and they didn’t want to create a third shift just for that. I woke up at about 1130am to all three networks pre-emptying programming for it. Also, I remember the date because it’s my brother’s birthday.

When I watched the film I said to a buddy that it looked like the cockpit survived the conflagration intact. I don't think NASA admitted that was true till years later.

Edited by gehringer_2

It survived the initial breakup of the orbiter but broke apart on impact.  One of the astronaut bodies, Greg Jarvis, was found quite a bit of ways away.  NASA has been quiet about the locations of recovery because they didnt want "treasure hunters" looking for things.

From reading the books by Fred Haise and John Young I learned how delicate the shuttle was.  It was still a prototype after being launched in terms of how you classify aircraft.  Haise was responsible for the landing process and Young commanded the first mission. When it comes back to Earth its basically a glider.  If you ever watch a video of it's re entry it's remarkable how steep the dive back in was.  It broke apart in the disaster not because of explosion itself but from aerodynamic forces from changing it's position when the giant tank it's attached to broke apart.  The first shuttle launch was far from a sure thing.  Two of the backup air supplies were activated indicating that not everyone died immediately.  There was also some changes to the console of the Pilot showing that he or someone else had a chance to react.

The netflix doc is infuriating.  Managers basically overrode the engineers.

56 minutes ago, oblong said:

it's remarkable how steep the dive back in was.

Yeah -glide angle is a big deal for the pilots. Over the years designers have tended to design planes of all kinds with very similar landing glide angles and when you take an experienced pilot and give him airframe that basically lands like a rock, they really have to fight years of 'muscle' memory to keep their 'experience' from messing them up. When Boeing introduced the 727 tri-jet, it had a slightly steeper landing glide angle and there were several early accidents when experienced pilots put them down short of the runway.