Random Randomness.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:30 AM, chasfh said:

Remember the Insidious Trend thread I started on the old board, back in, what, 2006 or so? It became a thread about tipping in general, but it started because I was seeing more and more tipping jars at the retail and carryout levels.

Here's what I said back then:

One of the worst trends I have seen in this century is the retail tip jar. I never really saw it much before about seven or eight years ago, but the usage of this device appears to me to have really accelerated in the last couple years.

Tell you what got me thinking about this. I ordered takeout from Maggiano's. I drove downtown to pick it up and parked. I walked in and I was fourth in line. It took them ten minutes to get to me, but they did, and I picked up my food, and paid.

As I was leaving, I noticed it: the tip basket on the counter. There appeared to be fifteen, maybe twenty bucks in it.

OK, so let's see -- I drove to them, I waited in line to get my food, I made all the effort to consummate the transaction ... so, what it is I'm tipping them for, now?

Now? Carryout tipping is no longer a trend. It is now established practice:

1 big thing: Carryout tipping here to stay

fallback.png

Data: Axios poll. Chart: Will Chase/Axios

We recently reported on the changing views around carryout tipping and asked for your opinions. As dine-in restrictions are lifted for local restaurants, should we keep tipping on transactions we may not have before the pandemic?

• Your answer is clear: Carryout tipping is here to stay.

💵 By the numbers: In an informal survey of 460 Axios readers:

• 38% will continue to tip 10-15%.

• 23% will continue to tip a couple of bucks.

• Under 20% will continue to not tip at all.

Why it matters: Restaurants are seeing almost 60% more delivery and carryout business than before the pandemic.

What they're saying: "Restaurant employees strive to ensure customers have a great experience in-person and in the comfort of their homes," Illinois Restaurant Association president Sam Toia tells Axios.

• "We encourage all patrons to continue to support restaurant team members."

Yes, but: "Pre-pandemic tipping on carryout wasn't expected, but it quickly shifted as we were all trying to help restaurant's frontline essential workers," Beyond Etiquette founder Bonnie Tsai tells Axios.

• "However, if you are unable to tip 10-15% due to your own financial situation, there's no need to overextend yourself."

💭 Justin's thought bubble: I'll continue to tip, but you can't make me stop trying to get the worker's attention so they see that I did. Classic Dad move.

💭 Monica's thought bubble: I'm grateful to anyone dealing with the public these days — especially now that my daughter is a part-time hostess who handles carryout orders.

• She recently called from Urbana to say, "Mom, I had such a good night. I made almost $20 in tips!"

A few of your thoughts:

Carolyn L: "A lot of the apps give you the percentage option, so you're not just tipping on the total of your food, but also their service fees."

Blind L: "I've found that some restaurants won’t take my tip on carryout."

Eileen M: "We don't tip for takeout orders. When we dine in we always do since you receive service from waitstaff."

51 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I love to see how things were filmed and CHiPs was one of my favorite childhood shows.  But what got me here is the smog.

1JFXViL.jpg

First time I went to CA was in 1972. The didn't yet have jetways at the gates at LAX, you still came down the stairs from the plane to the tarmac. That was exactly what the sky looked like when the door of the plane opened and it stung your eyes as soon as it hit them the first time.

It's easy to forget that air and water quality improvements in the US have been huge - it's something to keep in mind because it proves we can change the way we do things once we decide to.

54 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

First time I went to CA was in 1972. The didn't yet have jetways at the gates at LAX, you still came down the stairs from the plane to the tarmac. That was exactly what the sky looked like when the door of the plane opened and it stung your eyes as soon as it hit them the first time.

It's easy to forget that air and water quality improvements in the US have been huge - it's something to keep in mind because it proves we can change the way we do things once we decide to.

Here’s some interesting background on the creation of the EPA (note that the website of a party with interest):

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/why-we-need-epa

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2023 at 3:48 PM, Deleterious said:

I love to see how things were filmed and CHiPs was one of my favorite childhood shows.  But what got me here is the smog.

1JFXViL.jpg

Oh, yeah, CHiPS was must see TV as a kid.  And by must see, it was you had to be in front of the TV at the time of the show and somebody had to actually turn the dial to the right channel (1 of the only 4 or 5 channels that you could get) in order to watch it.

10 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I saw this.  My oldest loves giraffes, so I sent it to the family text.  My wife said it looked like a deer.  Now, I frequently see deer when I bicycle.  I stop and take pictures and send them to the family text.  But if I see a 7 foot tall deer, I am turning the bike around and pedaling as fast as I've ever pedaled (well, for that day anyway).

• Haha 1

BSM: Mike Stone Leaving Morning Show on 97.1 The Ticket After Super Bowl

Sad to see Stoney leaving, but at 65 years old I can understand why he'd want to take a step back from full time, morning radio. I loved Stoney and Wojo back in the day on WDFN and all the bits and segments they used to have together. As for his replacement, I'd like to see either Jim Costa bumped up to the morning show or Sean Baligian brought in as the new co-host.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Sad to see Stoney leaving, but at 65 years old I can understand why he'd want to take a step back from full time, morning radio. I loved Stoney and Wojo back in the day on WDFN and all the bits and segments they used to have together. As for his replacement, I'd like to see either Jim Costa bumped up to the morning show or Sean Baligian brought in as the new co-host.

Yeah - I could imagine Costa working OK with Jansen. The should get him and Valenti apart  - they are a little too much together - of course Valenti can be too much even without any help.

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Leaving radio on your own terms is a rarity.    I loved how honest he was about his weirdness. 

But maybe he's not your cup of tea, but let me tell you a Stoney story. 

When WDFN update person Sabrina Black, who was a friend of mine, got really sick, with leukemia, the fine folks at Clear Channel decided to fire her for missing so much time.   Chemo and hospital stays will do that.   Steve Black's (St. Steven of Clawson) insurance was already maxed out.     Stoney and Wojo went to management and told them whatever her salary was, take it equally out of their pay to cover it so she can keep her job and her insurance.   So if you don't like him on the air - always remember that about him.  She passed away with one less worry.   Talk about a Mensch

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Thanks 5