Random Randomness.

50 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Nevermind. Missed where you said comedy.

Larry David would be my pick for that probably.

BTW. I Love Lucy has to be one of the worst TV shows ever. Never understood how that was popular.

The importance of it was setting up the 3 camera sitcom, studio audiences, establishing the west coast as a TV industry, and societal things like referencing pregnant women, a hispanic male lead, along with showing repeats, syndication, etc.  

When pitching the show one of the execs said "Ok but lose the Cuban... the country won't believe a woman like that is married to a Cuban", apprantly ignorant of the fact that... she was married to a Cuban.   

• Thanks 2

On 12/6/2023 at 10:01 AM, oblong said:

I'd venture that the most important people in the history of TV comedy are Lucille Ball, Norman Lear, and James Burrows.

I just made this up so I'm open to more suggestions.

On 12/6/2023 at 10:16 AM, Deleterious said:

Aaron Spelling probably has to be on that list.

Garry Marshall maybe?  Carl Reiner?

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 4:16 AM, casimir said:

When referencing the platform X, formally known as Twitter, does anyone ever just call it "X" or does it 100% of the time get referred to as "X which was formally known as Twitter"?  Seems like the shorthand Twitter is the easiest form to use.

first, I think you mean "formerly", not "formally".

second, I still call it Twitter and tweets and such and tend to get confused if someone refers to it as X.

On 12/6/2023 at 11:58 AM, Deleterious said:

I hate her with a passion for some reason and she was not funny to me at all.  But I recognize her importance in TV.  I just think Desi gets the shaft since a lot of what is credited to her was done by him.

Do you hate her personally or do you hate her comic persona? I ask because there was posted last year sometime a podcast consisting of her 15-minute radio talk shows from the 60s, I believe, and she is just brilliant in these.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lets-talk-to-lucy/id1579178174

On 12/6/2023 at 9:01 AM, oblong said:

I'd venture that the most important people in the history of TV comedy are Lucille Ball, Norman Lear, and James Burrows.

I just made this up so I'm open to more suggestions.

On 12/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, Deleterious said:

Nevermind. Missed where you said comedy.

Larry David would be my pick for that probably.

BTW. I Love Lucy has to be one of the worst TV shows ever. Never understood how that was popular.

On 12/7/2023 at 1:32 PM, djhutch said:

Garry Marshall maybe?  Carl Reiner?

Matt Groening. The Simpsons changed the way comedies were written, and not just cartoons.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do you hate her personally or do you hate her comic persona? I ask because there was posted last year sometime a podcast consisting of her 15-minute radio talk shows from the 60s, I believe, and she is just brilliant in these.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/lets-talk-to-lucy/id1579178174

Just her comedy.  I doubt I know much about her off camera personality.  I will try to give that a listen later on.  

22 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Just her comedy.  I doubt I know much about her off camera personality.  I will try to give that a listen later on.  

I was a child of that era's TV but I never cared much for Lucy's personna on the show either, but it worked to set up the other three cast members so the show overall was OK. For me the female archtype she was clowning off of never worked because the women in my family were so decidedly unlike any of that. So as a  child there was no ring of recognition in what she was doing, 

46 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

As I look at the most recent few episodes, they are not interviews with Lucy from the 60s, but modern-day personalities doing "re-imagined interviews" with Lucy, which is self-indulgent and just dumb. Dig a little further back into episodes actually recorded with Lucy at the time and hear her speak with people like Jack Warner, Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Hedda Hopper and the like. Lucy here is nothing like her on-screen persona.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Matt Groening. The Simpsons changed the way comedies were written, and not just cartoons.

Good one.  For some reason that show never got on my radar.  I think it was simply that I had stuff going on Sunday nights.  I’ve seen the show and know it’s funny.  It’s made me laugh obviously. But I just never consistently watched.  Same with The Office and Parks and Rec.