Random Randomness.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

Good one.  For some reason that show never got on my radar.  I think it was simply that I had stuff going on Sunday nights.  I’ve seen the show and know it’s funny.  It’s made me laugh obviously. But I just never consistently watched.  Same with The Office and Parks and Rec. 

I'm one of those rare people who started watching the Simpsons back when they were a Tracey Ullman short who didn't give up on the show in disgust after Season 4. I still watch it every week.

Detroit radio and the local jazz community lost a true character this week. Don Swindell died Monday.

You would probably best know Don as the voices behind the parody songs and skits on WDFN back in the day. Later he became Asst Program Director as well as a production manager at CBS Radio in Detroit. Responsible for a lot of the "bumpers" on the Tigers and Wings broadcast. He was also heard on the Rangers broadcast in Dallas for a while.

His broadcast career included stops at WLS-FM in Chicago and WJZZ in Detroit.

He was extremely active as a musician. He played trumpet and harmonica. For a while he teamed up with saxophonist Larry Nozero before Norzero's death. They were part of the House Band at the Grand Hotel, as well at various venues around Detroit. After Nozero's death in the mid 2000's, Don formed his own groups and played around the area. 

He was one of those guys who could talk your ear off about music, radio or life in general. You'd lose touch with him and 3 or 4 years later he'd call you out of the blue and pick up the conversation. 

If you have an hour or so to spare, here's probably his most recent interview. This is pure Swindell

man that interview was great.  Guys like that are amazing. So talented and hustling to make a living.  I listened to WDFN probably 18 hours a day for years.  That Stoney and Wojo song is so ingrained in my memory as it started every day when I'd leave for work.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, oblong said:

He said they hit his car.  This is quite funny.  It would be hilarious if someone sped it up a little and played the Benny Hill music.

Yeah, then someone could steal it, upload it and take all the credit for it.

#MyRodAllenJapanVideo