Random Randomness.

16 minutes ago, oblong said:

The instructions have me taking some laxatives and mixing a 238g bottle of powder with 64 ounces of gataorade.  Looks like I can have coffee, tea, soda (Which I don't really drink), popsicles... just as long as nothing is red.  

I'm not worried about the laxative piece of it, we have bidets in the house and I have an area of privacy in my basement office so can do what's needed without bothering anybody.  I say that now, ha ha.

It's the fasting that I won't like.  

But it's important to do.  

This is very different than my prep. I had my second one last month. Setting aside the diet changes which I assume yours is the same as mine, my diarrhea prep was to drink Suprep. It comes in two bottles becasue it’s a two-step treatment. The night before I had to mix one 6-oz bottle with 16 oz of water, and then chase it with another 16 ounces of water, all of which I had to finish within an hour. Then, the morning of, I had to repeat that.

Suprep smells and tastes like NyQuil. I never minded the taste of NyQuil until this process. It is just as difficult to drink 22 ounces of it twice in 12 hours as it sounds. One of the things they recommend is drink it through a straw, but really, that just sounded to me like prolonging the agony, so I slammed it down in maybe three minutes. Wow, is it so gross. It’s actually worse than Malort.

Last week I got a bad cold and I took a swig of NyQuil to help me sleep. Wow, did the bad Suprep memory come flooding back.

It sounds like you might be getting off a little easier than I did. Let us know how it went.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I just scheduled my first colonoscopy.

Obviously I've heard the worst part is the prep with fasting and drinking the stuff... I'm just letting y'all know in case it prompts someone to get off their ass and schedule theirs if eligible.

Had my first one last year.  Nothing about it was bad at all IMO.  Not that I want to party with laxatives and gallons of gatorade, but it was not bad at all.

• Like 1

Very difficult decisions will have to be made soon. Is it safer to stay here and wait for rescue or should I go out and pursue rescue? Who knows how far I'll have to go to find any evidence of life. We have enough supplies to last until mid-April, but if recuse doesn't happen by then some very drastic decision might have to be made, like, do I actually eat that $1 frozen Michelina pasta primavera that has been in my freezer since 2018? I will do my best to keep you posted on our plight. My dog Lucy is staying as upbeat as she can. She's playing it off like she doesn't care. Her bravery knows no bounds (except when there's thunder). I need to save my strength for the desperate, dangerous days ahead. Until then, be careful and please let me know if the Tigers release Javy Baez.

May be an image of car and text

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Very difficult decisions will have to be made soon. Is it safer to stay here and wait for rescue or should I go out and pursue rescue? Who knows how far I'll have to go to find any evidence of life. We have enough supplies to last until mid-April, but if recuse doesn't happen by then some very drastic decision might have to be made, like, do I actually eat that $1 frozen Michelina pasta primavera that has been in my freezer since 2018? I will do my best to keep you posted on our plight. My dog Lucy is staying as upbeat as she can. She's playing it off like she doesn't care. Her bravery knows no bounds (except when there's thunder). I need to save my strength for the desperate, dangerous days ahead. Until then, be careful and please let me know if the Tigers release Javy Baez.

Nice area.  Except for the expletive snow.

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It took me 2 hours to get to work today...normally a 30 minute commute, 40 tops.

Not to rub it in, but nearly 60 and overcast. Cooler than earlier this week. The monsoon is expected tomorrow with 2 plus inches of rainfall expected. The good news is the rain should help with the spate of wildfires in the western mountains 

36 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

That's unbelievable.  They mentioned there were vehicles on the bridge.  I didn't see anything about the timing between the ship hitting the bridge and the collapse of the bridge.  It seems like with ample time, the bridge would have been closed out of caution, but maybe there wasn't enough time to do so.  This could have been much worse given the time that it did occur.

I don't know slightest bit about bridge engineering.  I am stunned the entire thing collapsed.  I guess I would have thought the section towards the right hand side of the video might have stayed somewhat in tact, but obviously that wasn't the case.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

That's unbelievable.  They mentioned there were vehicles on the bridge.  I didn't see anything about the timing between the ship hitting the bridge and the collapse of the bridge.  It seems like with ample time, the bridge would have been closed out of caution, but maybe there wasn't enough time to do so.  This could have been much worse given the time that it did occur.

I don't know slightest bit about bridge engineering.  I am stunned the entire thing collapsed.  I guess I would have thought the section towards the right hand side of the video might have stayed somewhat in tact, but obviously that wasn't the case.

That was an arched truss. If the ship damaged the left tower enough that the arch form was compromised, all the forces go out of balance and it's all over. Since the elements in the truss have to support both compression and tension, they are tied together tightly enough that they pulled down most of the right side before there was enough xs force to actually break the truss. The point where it finally broke was so near the right tower that the remaining mass on the right tower was too out of balance to stay up - like a teeter-totter,  the torque just rotated it off the right tower to the heavy side. I imagine when this bridge was built they never contemplated the size of the ships that are in service today. Even if they had I don't know how much you can do to protect any structure from an impact by 250,000 tons even at only 5 kt or so.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

From what I'm hearing the vehicles on the bridge were part of a road crew patching potholes. There was a radio message, I believe, to close the bridge. I'm not sure how much time occurred between the message and the collision. 

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

Looking at a local map, I don't even get why that bridge was needed.  There's another freeway 5 miles or so north that can get you anywhere this bridge can, albeit not quite as quickly depending on your destination.  Further making my point, even with this bridge gone and traffic having to reroute, Google maps is showing all surrounding freeways as green for traffic conditions.  

FWIW, The story is the bridge was built to relieve sever traffic congestion on the harbor tunnel. That was 50yrs ago though, so maybe traffic patterns have shifted.

It's actually not an uncommon pattern in the US that by the time a bridge gets built, the need for it goes away. In the local area the I280 bridge in Toledo was built to get around a draw bridge where I believe the river traffic ceased not long or even before the bridge was completed. I'm not sure the same wasn't true of the I-75 Zilwaukee bridge.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why can't posts be built around the actual bridge posts.  Anchored in the water and not connected to the bridge itself?   Seems like it's possible to do that. 

you have to consider how deep the water is where the bridge towers are. If the bottom is a long way down it gets impractical pretty fast to build very large defensive islands.

I was a little surprised at how narrow the span on that bridge was. A ship that size didn't have to miss by that much relatives to it's own size.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That was an arched truss. If the ship damaged the left tower enough that the arch form was compromised, all the forces go out of balance and it's all over. Since the elements in the truss have to support both compression and tension, they are tied together tightly enough that they pulled down most of the right side before there was enough xs force to actually break the truss. The point where it finally broke was so near the right tower that the remaining mass on the right tower was too out of balance to stay up - like a teeter-totter,  the torque just rotated it off the right tower to the heavy side. I imagine when this bridge was built they never contemplated the size of the ships that are in service today. Even if they had I don't know how much you can do to protect any structure from an impact by 250,000 tons even at only 5 kt or so.

Seeing different video and then considering how heavy the ship had to be, I guess I was pretty naive with my thinking.  The force at direct impact and then cascading away along the bridge would certainly put the rest of it under significant shock.

6 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

FWIW, The story is the bridge was built to relieve sever traffic congestion on the harbor tunnel. That was 50yrs ago though, so maybe traffic patterns have shifted.

It's actually not an uncommon pattern in the US that by the time a bridge gets built, the need for it goes away. In the local area the I280 bridge in Toledo was built to get around a draw bridge where I believe the river traffic ceased not long or even before the bridge was completed. I'm not sure the same wasn't true of the I-75 Zilwaukee bridge.

Not sure about river traffic.  But it is silly to see the two bridges (the original I-280 along with the newer version) side by side next to each other.

8 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

From what I'm hearing the vehicles on the bridge were part of a road crew patching potholes. There was a radio message, I believe, to close the bridge. I'm not sure how much time occurred between the message and the collision. 

Sounds like a matter of only a few minutes from the original mayday message to impact.  ABC showed some still shots from video surveillance where you can see lights alternating on and off as it approaches the bridge with traffic on it.

I've seen estimates of 30 thousand vehicles daily across the FSK Bridge. Very fortunate that the accident happened in the middle of the night and not during peak hours. I don't know whether the scheduled roadwork had any impact, but they were given enough notice to be able to stop traffic. From what I've heard only workers were on the bridge.

It could have been much worse

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

you have to consider how deep the water is where the bridge towers are. If the bottom is a long way down it gets impractical pretty fast to build very large defensive islands.

Well if they can build the actual BRIDGE, then I think they can put the "dolphins" in too.    Seems very odd to me that any port that has ships of that size wouldn't have those, by law.  

Here's the one at the Benjamin Franklin Bridge in Philly   (the other post is protected by land)    image.png.e8aa5a02880799119a09990b20d6f373.png

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well if they can build the actual BRIDGE, then I think they can put the "dolphins" in too.    Seems very odd to me that any port that has ships of that size wouldn't have those, by law.  

too many differences between the bridges and the sites to even start listing them. 

An interesting FB comentary from a retired marine engineer, at least from looking at the released footage.

It looks like they set the ship up for a turn after the power came back on after the first blackout, then they lost power for the second time. The rudder was hard down for the turn, maximum power on the prop. The ship was aimed for the middle of the span, when the power went down for the second time, lots of energy in the turn and the rudder was locked hard down from the lack of power....

No way to steer without power. Possibly primary and backup power systems malfunctioned (my thoughts). It was a case of cascading failures.

When was the last time this ship was inspected.