Random Randomness.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:46 AM, Deleterious said:

Speaking of bike riding.  This was taken today in the parking lot at the F1 race in the Netherlands.  The Dutch take their bike riding seriously.

j0wnqBr.png

It's the American equivalent of going to a free outdoor blues concert and then trying to find your black Street Glide.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew United when going to Aruba as Newark is a hub for them with direct flights there.  Significant downgrade from what I'm used to on Delta.   The TV controls were on the armrest so anytime you moved it would change the volume or change the channel.  I was used to free alcohol drinks on economy plus.  United didn't have that but the attendant gave me two bottles since I was on vacation, so that's a plus.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

We flew United when going to Aruba as Newark is a hub for them with direct flights there.  Significant downgrade from what I'm used to on Delta.   The TV controls were on the armrest so anytime you moved it would change the volume or change the channel.  I was used to free alcohol drinks on economy plus.  United didn't have that but the attendant gave me two bottles since I was on vacation, so that's a plus.

A couple weeks ago I took Delta to Boston "first class", allegedly. It was terrible. Seat table was broken, magazine pouch ripped out at the bottom, arm rest was coach sized and not first class wide. Drink service was suspended less than halfway to destination, and no meals were served, only UPF snacks. No separating partition, and coach passengers were allowed to wander through and use the facilities. I suspect that Delta's "first class" is just coach with wider seats in the first five rows and that simply costs hundreds more. Live and learn, I guess.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I suspect that Delta's "first class" is just coach with wider seats in the first five rows and that simply costs hundreds more. Live and learn, I guess.

In a 6 across coach std body, Delta 1st class would normally be 4 across? 1st class in a wide body is  variable.

I wonder if It's possible that with air travel picking back up to record levels after the pandemic slowdown, airlines/air leasing companies are having to pull air frames that went into storage in 2019-20 back into service and some airlines are settling for less than what they would have in their new orders.

Air travel today is running just about at Dante's 8th circle of Hell. I spent a few  years flying ~3 x month when it was a relatively civil experience. You couldn't pay me enough to do it now.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In a 6 across coach std body, Delta 1st class would normally be 4 across? 1st class in a wide body is  variable.

I wonder if It's possible that with air travel picking back up to record levels after the pandemic slowdown, airlines/air leasing companies are having to pull air frames that went into storage in 2019-20 back into service and some airlines are settling for less than what they would have in their new orders.

Air travel today is running just about at Dante's 8th circle of Hell. I spent a few  years flying ~3 x month when it was a relatively civil experience. You couldn't pay me enough to do it now.

I have hated flying for a long time, and not because I'm afraid of being up in the air. I hate everything attended to it. I don't have to litanize it for you. You get it.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

A couple weeks ago I took Delta to Boston "first class", allegedly. It was terrible. Seat table was broken, magazine pouch ripped out at the bottom, arm rest was coach sized and not first class wide. Drink service was suspended less than halfway to destination, and no meals were served, only UPF snacks. No separating partition, and coach passengers were allowed to wander through and use the facilities. I suspect that Delta's "first class" is just coach with wider seats in the first five rows and that simply costs hundreds more. Live and learn, I guess.

The last time my wife flew she brought COVID home with her. It was the first day of Spring Break and DTW was an absolute zoo.

She has one of those dreaded trips this week. A last minute invitation to speak at a conference in Boise ID Friday. We’re going to be in Durham Thursday morning for a doctors appointment, I’ll drive home after dropping her off at RDU, then meet her plane in Detroit Saturday before driving to another conference in Grand Rapids that begins Sunday. Back home at the end of the week.

A lot of driving for me, but it beats her trying to rent a car in Detroit and another flight back to Richmond. 

With her luck she’ll catch something on the plane, the dog will come down with Kennel Cough and I’ll work up a nasty case off driver’ toe

Edited by CMRivdogs

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I will never voluntarily pay or use points on first class unless it’s cross country for those reasons.  Preferred is good enough for me.  On one of my recent flights they kept the partition open and we were using that bathroom since it was closer for us. It was right between the two seating areas I was in the second row of preferred.  Nobody told us not to.  
 Usually what happens is I book our flights regular and then a month later I will upgrade. Once I put out $600 originally another $200 the following month, or miles, doesn’t seem like much. I fall for it.  The extra legroom alone is worth it to me. The free drink is a bonus but not a deal breaker usually. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

We haven't had a good Dad Joke in a while

At a funeral a man says to the widow, "Mind if a say a word?"

"Not at all,” she says, “please do."

He stands up, clears his throat, and says, "Comprehensive," then sits down.

She responds in tears, "Thank you. That means everything."

I always say "mucho" to my Spanish speaking friends. It means a lot to them.

Seriously,  there are so many absolutely horrible drivers.    We need to seriously upgrade the driving standards.   

1 - Too many people playing with their phones, not looking up, swerving out of their lanes and not reacting to lights turning green.  

2 - Why don't people seem to understand how the left lane works on a freeway?       This should be on the driving tests.     If you see 3, 4, 5 people passing you on the right, you're doing it all wrong.  When the speed limit is 70, you don't go 65 in the left lane, but I see it every single day

3 - Slow drivers.  Not talkin goin 30 in a 35 - talking about 20 in a 35  or, on Michigan Ave in Canton - going 30 in a 55.   Not paying any attention to any traffic around them either.    

I've noticed a lot of cars with stickers saying "New Driver Please Be Patient".   I just think those are people who know they suck at driving and get honked at all the time.  

If you know you are bad at driving of if texting, to you, is like breathing - you'll die if you can't text for more than 40 seconds, then maybe you should sell your car and just rely on Uber or Lyft from here on out.   Think about it, the cost of it would be offset by no car payment and no (super expensive) car insurance, and you can text your whole life away.   I think man in the future will evolve into a position where the head is tilted downwards because of this absolute addiction to texting.     Yeah, OK Boomer,  sure I'm old, but for ****'s sake YOU'RE MISSING YOUR WHOLE LIFE LOOKING DOWN AT A SCREEN.    Pay $150 for a concert ticket and the whole time you're looking down and texting.  PUT IT AWAY !

Edited by Motor City Sonics

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

cop is lucky he isn't in 100 pieces. Rule one: Don't run toward where the car is going.

Tough to know exactly what he say/thought in the moment.  My thought was why didn't he hurdle the guardrail, but again, its more instinct than thought at the point.  He might have forgotten that there was a guardrail to begin with.

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

Tough to know exactly what he say/thought in the moment.  My thought was why didn't he hurdle the guardrail, but again, its more instinct than thought at the point.  He might have forgotten that there was a guardrail to begin with.

I'm going to guess his first subconscious instinct was that his squad car represented safety - as it would in a shooting situation for instance, so that was the direction his instinct told him to take his first step, but that is just a guess. LOL, I remember when my daughter, who was a big Descent player, kept trying to teach me to dodge missiles by always going toward them as well as to  the side. Not your first impulse!