Week Seventeen: Chicago Bears (3-12) @ Detroit Lions (7-8)

MichiganCardinal

41 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Not an idiot. I get the argument. 

Im just saying its not a clear cut as some fans make it. Sure green bay. But they also aren't that great. It be for a wild card not a division, you have other massive markets in NYC and Miami, the weather is crappy and the league rotuinely screws us. 

Weather doesn't look like a frozen tundra in Green Bay next week;

1602411423_Screenshot_20230101-154844_TheWeatherChannel.thumb.jpg.9eb4083856625234232b0c5d6822c30a.jpg

For some reason I've always had a major hatred for the Jets, like I enjoy watching them lose more than probably any non NFC North team in football so even though I'm rooting for them to win today for the Lions sake if they lose and seeing their hopes get dashed is a nice consolation prize for me. 

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Seattle and Green Bay are both winning big so there very well may be (3) 8-8 teams next week, us included.

How do we get in the playoffs? (A) Beating Green Bay is obvious. (B) We also need Seattle to lose to the Rams to get in, I think. If Seattle wins next week, I think we are shut out of the playoffs...

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Seattle and Green Bay are both winning big so there very well may be (3) 8-8 teams next week, us included.

How do we get in the playoffs? (A) Beating Green Bay is obvious. (B) We also need Seattle to lose to the Rams to get in, I think. If Seattle wins next week, I think we are shut out of the playoffs...

This is correct.  We are all now cheering for the Rams. 

Edited by Hongbit

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This is correct.  We are all now cheering for the Rams. 

PS: If we are dependent on the Rams beating Seattle...

I think those chances are just about zero so we may need to resign ourselves to finishing 9-8 and still losing out on the playoffs this year...

Just sayin'...

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know the odds of this are astronomical but just out of curiosity what if both games next week end up in a tie so us, GB and Seattle all finish 8-8-1, who gets in? Also wouldn't effect the Lions but if GB wins to get 9-8 and Seattle wins who has the tiebreaker there? 

Green Bay is the only team of the three that controls their own destiny, believe it or not. The Lions need a Seahawks loss and the Seahawks need a Packers loss. At the very least, the Lions will have an opportunity to play spoiler.

Edited by NYLion

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: If we are dependent on the Rams beating Seattle...

I think those chances are just about zero so we may need to resign ourselves to finishing 9-8 and still losing out on the playoffs this year...

Just sayin'...

Looks like the Seahawks are up 14 with the ball in Jets territory late in 3rd. Considering the Jets don't exactly have an explosive offense I think that game is just about done so its looking like we are indeed pinning our hopes on the Rams next week.

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Really disappointed to see Minnesota sit the bed today. They haven't given up a 100 yards rushing all year . . . Until today when we needed them to show up.

Yeah it would've made things a little easier next week with a Packers team already eliminated atleast theoretically but either way we still would have to beat them so it doesn't change things too drastically for us.

In his post game presser, Campbell said that he hoped Green Bay won today so that they could have a bigger game next week.

I think if you’re faced with a single game you need to win, Campbell is the perfect coach. May not be able to do that same thing a number of games in a row but you give him one game, he’ll get 1000% effort out of his players for that one game.

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah it would've made things a little easier next week with a Packers team already eliminated atleast theoretically but either way we still would have to beat them so it doesn't change things too drastically for us.

Actually come to think of it even if the Packers lost today they still wouldn't have been completely eliminated from the playoffs right(Unless the Seahawks won today and next week before our game in which case the Lions would be eliminated too anyway)? If so I guess it really didn't matter for the Lions sake what the Packers did today. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Actually come to think of it even if the Packers lost today they still wouldn't have been completely eliminated from the playoffs right(Unless the Seahawks won today and next week before our game in which case the Lions would be eliminated too anyway)? If so I guess it really didn't matter for the Lions sake what the Packers did today. 

I thought the Packers were eliminated with a loss today.  How were you figuring things? 

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I thought the Packers were eliminated with a loss today.  How were you figuring things? 

They may have been, I was just going off the fact that even if they lost they could still finish 8-9 which would tie them with us and the Seahawks(if they lose next week). I wasn't sure about how the tiebreakers worked though which is why I wasn't completely sure.