Week Seventeen: Chicago Bears (3-12) @ Detroit Lions (7-8)

MichiganCardinal

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

It’s possible. I don’t think it would be the worst thing in the world if we ran it back with Swift and Jamaal. When fully healthy, this was probably a good enough offense to go 12-5 and win the North with just a league average defense. And that’s without Jamo, who could seriously be one of the most explosive players in the league next season. I can certainly understand the rationale behind saying this draft should be defense, defense, defense.

If they value Bijan Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs highly though, it wouldn’t shock me at all to see them take one in the 1st Round. 

As simplistic as it sounds, I think the front office values talent, wherever they can find it (and they seem to have a good knack for seeing it). It’s why they made the move to go get Jamo, it’s why they took multiple defensive linemen in 2021. If you can find 4+ talented players in any given draft, you’re well on your way to building a talented team within three years.

More importantly than drafting or not drafting a Running Back is that you get an Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffery, or Derrick Henry if you do, instead of Kerryon Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, Mikel Leshore, or Jahvid Best.

They absolutely value talent and have proven to be damn good at it.  They also value position scarcity.   RB has unfortunately become a dime a dozen position.   The shelf life is small and you can find useful players in the later rounds.    They also tend to get hit the most of any other position and are more of an injury risk.   They doubled down on WR and DL because they are just harder players to find and evaluate and you need to play more of them.      If we had a different system like a Pittsburgh or Baltimore, there’s probably more of an interest to think RB earlier but again there are so many options that it’s not necessary.  

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

"In spades"?

That's a gross exaggeration.

I'll put money on the Lions drafting a RB in the top 3 rounds for what it's worth...

Not even a slight exaggeration. 

They still may take RB in the top 3 rounds.  We need to see how they choose to handle their enormous depth of RB talent in the offseason staring with what they do with Williams.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not even a slight exaggeration. 

They still may take RB in the top 3 rounds.  We need to see how they choose to handle their enormous depth of RB talent in the offseason staring with what they do with Williams.  

Doubling down in gross exaggeration does not make it "not even...".

Jamaal is a FA. 

Craig Reynolds is a weak 3rd/4th RB. He's not good.

Justin Jackson has decent skills as a 3rd back but if Swift goes down he would be incapable of replacing even a modicum of what Swift provides. I do not mind him as a 3rd RB. But he's functional depth, not dynamic depth.

Swift is often hurt. Dynamic when healthy... but he hasn't mastered the health aspect of the NFL yet so he is always suspect. One big injury to Swift and our RB depth is down to...

Pretty much nothing.

You're looking at a mirage Hongbit. And think you've found Mecca. It's just a mirage dude.

Again, I'll guarantee that the Lions pick a RB in the top 3 rounds in this draft.

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's an awesome shot!

Hell, I didn't realize he was hiding near the sidelines before breaking in for that INT...

How the heck did Glenn draw that defensive alignment up? Amazing!

"Lion hides in tall grass stalking his prey" is right!

Yeah since the Bears were out of TOs he put a bunch of players on the sideline so they couldnt get a quick pass to the sidelines and step out of bounds and put them in FG range. Basically forced them to have to score on that play. 

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah since the Bears were out of TOs he put a bunch of players on the sideline so they couldnt get a quick pass to the sidelines and step out of bounds and put them in FG range. Basically forced them to have to score on that play. 

Well that passes the logic test. Makes sense to me...!

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Doubling down in gross exaggeration does not make it "not even...".

Jamaal is a FA. 

Craig Reynolds is a weak 3rd/4th RB. He's not good.

Justin Jackson has decent skills as a 3rd back but if Swift goes down he would be incapable of replacing even a modicum of what Swift provides. I do not mind him as a 3rd RB. But he's functional depth, not dynamic depth.

Swift is often hurt. Dynamic when healthy... but he hasn't mastered the health aspect of the NFL yet so he is always suspect. One big injury to Swift and our RB depth is down to...

Pretty much nothing.

You're looking at a mirage Hongbit. And think you've found Mecca. It's just a mirage dude.

Again, I'll guarantee that the Lions pick a RB in the top 3 rounds in this draft.

I think your expectations for 3rd and 4th round RB are very off.   Reynolds when healthy and Jackson have both been fine in that limited role.  It’s not that important of a position to waste early draft capital to fill a 4th string RB.  There are so many capable street free agents that can fill this role.  

I am hoping they will re-sign Williams.  As I said a bunch of times, If they don’t resign him that will change things greatly and it will become a need worth drafting after round 1.

This team still has so many more important needs:

Multiple CB

DT 

LB

G

Backup S

Backup OT

Backup QB

5th string WR

Kicker

4th string RB

21 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's an awesome shot!

Hell, I didn't realize he was hiding near the sidelines before breaking in for that INT...

If the Lions were more of a 3-4 team you wonder if they wouldn't have already thought about having him lose a few pounds and making him rush/WIL

Edited by gehringer_2

They don't need a 4th string RB.

They already have Jefferson, Jackson & Reynolds.

I also want them to resign Jamaal so they have a "Thunder & Lightning" tandem. I consider Jamaal & Swift to be 1A (tough yardage) and 1B RB's (game-breaking yardage).

They need a 2nd string RB to back up Swift, not 4th RB's like the above-mentioned trio.

They DON'T need multiple CB's. Where are you getting that from? Their top 5 needs are: (1) CB, Safety, LB, DT, #2 RB depth. And... we have 5 picks in the top 3 rounds so my money stays on a RB selected in the top 3 rounds of 2023.

Next comes: O-Line depth, backup/ developmental QB, Kicker competition. These are for the later rounds or 2024 (QB) if there's no one they like in 2023. The only one of these needs that could usurp the top 5 needs is QB if they decide on a QB they want to draft high this year. Extra CB's or Safeties or O-Line depth? That's for the 6th round.

Book it.  

Still can't get over the closing speed on that last sack, like he was shot out of a cannon. Also insane how low he can get when rushing, it'll be interesting to see if he can keep this up for a full season or if he is just benefiting from being fresher than the opposition but it's hard not to get excited about his future just based off of the freak athleticism he appears to have. 

33 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

That's an awesome shot!

I don't know if he was "hiding" necessarily. There were seven seconds left and the Bears needed 5-15 yards to setup the field goal without any timeouts, so the alignment was clearly designed to prevent against the quick sideline pass. It's also why we didn't rush them, banking on a quick sideline pass instead of a deep shot. It was a smart defensive play. Clearly Fields didn't see Hutch there, so I guess he was hidden in that regard.

On the subject of Swift.  I think people underrate what he’s been able to accomplish.  I get where it comes from. He shows flashes of talent that could make him one of the top RB in the league but frustratingly lacks consistency which is not uncommon with a 3rd year player.    He also has the tag of a guy that can’t stay healthy because he’s missed time each year.  

The reality is he’s scored 25 TD in under 3 seasons.  He’s also played in at least 13 games every season.   Despite missing time this year, he’s very close again to 1000 AP yards.  He’s lost 3 fumbles in 3 years.  These are great numbers for a young player especially one drafted outside the 1st round.  

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

On the subject of Swift.  I think people underrate what he’s been able to accomplish.  I get where it comes from. He shows flashes of talent that could make him one of the top RB in the league but frustratingly lacks consistency which is not uncommon with a 3rd year player.    He also has the tag of a guy that can’t stay healthy because he’s missed time each year.  

The reality is he’s scored 25 TD in under 3 seasons.  He’s also played in at least 13 games every season.   Despite missing time this year, he’s very close again to 1000 AP yards.  He’s lost 3 fumbles in 3 years.  These are great numbers for a young player especially one drafted outside the 1st round.  

he was hurt in week one and played like he was hurt for multiple weeks.  the last two or three weeks he's been back to being what we thought he was going to be, but for a very large part of the season he was being used very sparingly and was not playing like he is capable of playing.  they basically had him playing less than 1/3 of the snaps for a good portion of the season.

he's the best offensive weapon they have when he is healthy and playing hard.  but he hasnt been that way for most of the season.

contrast him with williams who has been starting and getting the most snaps all season.

they need swift badly, but he wasnt fully there for 2/3 of the season.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't know if he was "hiding" necessarily. There were seven seconds left and the Bears needed 5-15 yards to setup the field goal without any timeouts, so the alignment was clearly designed to prevent against the quick sideline pass. It's also why we didn't rush them, banking on a quick sideline pass instead of a deep shot. It was a smart defensive play. Clearly Fields didn't see Hutch there, so I guess he was hidden in that regard.

fields isnt a very good passing qb if you havent noticed.  he's great at making things happen with his legs, not his head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

fields isnt a very good passing qb if you havent noticed.  he's great at making things happen with his legs, not his head.

One of the things you notice with Fields is that he doesn't seem to be the commander in chief of his offense when he's out there. I don't know if a QB necessarily *has* to be the take charge guy in every offense, but it seems most effective QBs are.

Not a ton of surprises here, some may wonder how Hutch was higher than Houston considering Houston had 3 sacks but Hutch had twice as many pressures as him plus the interception of course. Good to see Melinfonwu and Amani put up strong grades but considering the competition not sure how much it means long term but it beats the alternative. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

One of the things you notice with Fields is that he doesn't seem to be the commander in chief of his offense when he's out there. I don't know if a QB necessarily *has* to be the take charge guy in every offense, but it seems most effective QBs are.

Fields can do a lot of things real well. Just not the main thing, which is play quarterback.

I also think the Bears are destroying him. His first major injury is inevitable with the pounding he's taking. ACL tear, LCL tear, ankle... whatever it ends up being it'll eventually cost him his escapability just like RG3. Without decent protection or receiver help, the guy will never develop and learn to play the position