Week Seventeen: Chicago Bears (3-12) @ Detroit Lions (7-8)

MichiganCardinal

Losing by 38 here,  lost 40-3 to the Cowboys and hell even though they came back to win they were down 30+ to the Colts at one point.  All of this in the past 6 weeks, so safe to say the Vikings aren't exactly rolling into the playoffs. Who ever catches them in the 1st round could be in for a relatively easy win. Watch it be the Bucs and Brady. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Losing by 38 here,  lost 40-3 to the Cowboys and hell even though they came back to win they were down 30+ to the Colts at one point.  All of this in the past 6 weeks, so safe to say the Vikings aren't exactly rolling into the playoffs. Who ever catches them in the 1st round could be in for a relatively easy win. Watch it be the Bucs and Brady. 

The Lions and Packers are both objectively superior to them at this point, yet they have 12 wins.

I'm sure there are other examples, but they seem like one of the bigger high-seed frauds of the past decade at least.

• Like 1

How the hell are the Vikings 12-3 (about to be 12-4).   Losing by 31 right now, so their point diff, at 12-4 would be -26, and that's if they hold Green Bay to the current score with 6 minutes left.  

Worst 12-4 team ever. 

The Lions will play their final game with a shot of making the playoffs.  That's a great leap forward.   I don't think they'll make it, but the fact we will be watching a meaningful game on Elvis' Birthday is astonishing considering their 1-6 start. 

CORRECTION:  Could play that final game with a shot.  If Seattle wins vs. the Rams earlier in the day, it'll be over for the Lions and the Packers. 

Playoffs or Bust next year.     They'll have an easier time attracting free agents now.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

How the hell are the Vikings 12-3 (about to be 12-4).   Losing by 31 right now, so their point diff, at 12-4 would be -26, and that's if they hold Green Bay to the current score with 6 minutes left.  

Worst 12-4 team ever. 

The Lions will play their final game with a shot of making the playoffs.  That's a great leap forward.   I don't think they'll make it, but the fact we will be watching a meaningful game on Elvis' Birthday is astonishing considering their 1-6 start. 

CORRECTION:  Could play that final game with a shot.  If Seattle wins vs. the Rams earlier in the day, it'll be over for the Lions and the Packers. 

Playoffs or Bust next year.     They'll have an easier time attracting free agents now.  

Seattle would only get in with a Detroit win... Green Bay owns the tiebreaker with them

I think the Rams have a real shot at beating the Seahawks. The Seahawks aren't that good, and the Rams have nothing to lose and everything to gain by shutting their divisional rival out of the playoffs. 

I think that both the Packers and Lions are both better than any of the Vikings, Bucs, Giants, Seahawks, and Commanders right now. It's why you have to win games like the first Minnesota game, the Miami game, and the Seattle game though (not a complaint).

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

They may have been, I was just going off the fact that even if they lost they could still finish 8-9 which would tie them with us and the Seahawks(if they lose next week). I wasn't sure about how the tiebreakers worked though which is why I wasn't completely sure. 

The Commanders tie made it necessary for the Lions, Seahawks, and Packers to win both games in order to stay alive.  

23 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Worst 12-4 team ever. 

No, the Packers win and they're in. A Seahawks win only eliminates the Lions.

The Lions will either have playoffs to play for or an opportunity to spoil it for the Packers. The game will mean something either way.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

One thing that did get eliminated today was the chances of the Lions drafting Bijan Robinson or any other RB in the early rounds.    This was the Swift they hoped to see and he delivered.  

I wouldn’t count that chicken yet. It was good to see vintage Swift, but I’m not sure that one solid performance at home against a team with a terrible defense that is 3-13 is indicative of sustained success.

7 carries for 31 yards against the Vikings the first time around, 5 carries for 6 yards against the Dolphins and 5 carries for 19 yards against the Bills all stick out to me. Those are three games where he was active, lost by a collective 11 points, any one of which could have been a win with  a stronger and more consistent rushing attack.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn’t count that chicken yet. It was good to see vintage Swift, but I’m not sure that one solid performance at home against a team with a terrible defense that is 3-13 is indicative of sustained success.

7 carries for 31 yards against the Vikings the first time around, 5 carries for 6 yards against the Dolphins and 5 carries for 19 yards against the Bills all stick out to me. Those are three games where he was active, lost by a collective 11 points, any one of which could have been a win with  a stronger and more consistent rushing attack.

I don’t believe the front office thinks this way and that’s who matters.   

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

They may have been, I was just going off the fact that even if they lost they could still finish 8-9 which would tie them with us and the Seahawks(if they lose next week). I wasn't sure about how the tiebreakers worked though which is why I wasn't completely sure. 

I think they would have been eliminated because they’d lose the tiebreaker to the Lions. 

Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. The key is whether they are prepared to re-sign Swift in 2024. He will probably be looking at a contract like Austin Ekeler signed for four years, $6.125 million per year, with about $14 million guaranteed. 

I think this front office is thinking that playmaker/ RB depth is never wrong to have.

I agree with Mich Cardinal. IMO, a RB will be selected in the first 3 rounds in 2023.

Because there's depth there. There will be talent available. And pushing Justin Jackson to 4th RB with a new draftee as 3rd RB and better depth behind Swift is not an issue at all.  A no-brainer drafting a RB in this next draft.

It’s possible. I don’t think it would be the worst thing in the world if we ran it back with Swift and Jamaal. When fully healthy, this was probably a good enough offense to go 12-5 and win the North with just a league average defense. And that’s without Jamo, who could seriously be one of the most explosive players in the league next season. I can certainly understand the rationale behind saying this draft should be defense, defense, defense.

If they value Bijan Robinson or Jahmyr Gibbs highly though, it wouldn’t shock me at all to see them take one in the 1st Round. 

As simplistic as it sounds, I think the front office values talent, wherever they can find it (and they seem to have a good knack for seeing it). It’s why they made the move to go get Jamo, it’s why they took multiple defensive linemen in 2021. If you can find 4+ talented players in any given draft, you’re well on your way to building a talented team within three years.

More importantly than drafting or not drafting a Running Back is that you get an Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffery, or Derrick Henry if you do, instead of Kerryon Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, Mikel Leshore, or Jahvid Best.

this was a great win, but that bears team is the least talented team in the league.  they are god awful.  they have three rookies starting in the secondary, have their thirs string linebackers in, and their dline is atrocious having trades quinn and mack.  theyre a borderline usfl team.

on offense their oline is absolute garbage and their one decent lineman got hurt on the first series (tevin jenkins, who they drafted to play left tackle but who has already been busted down to guard because he was so bad at tackle.  instead they start a 5th round rookie at left tackle and reilly reiff at right tackle.)  and even with the worst line in the league, alex leatherwood cant make the gameday roster.  what a waste.

what they do have is one of the best running backs in the league.  

but he's their quarterback.

I of course would gladly sacrifice draft position if it meant the Lions making the playoffs but looking at the Rams pick it could be a pretty big drop if they do beat Seattle vs. if they lose. They could pick as high as 4 with a loss but as low as number 9 with a win. 

Considering the Colts are facing the Texans and the Cards are facing a 49ers team that are only playing for seeding(hell they may prefer to face the 6 seeded Giants vs. 7 seeded Lions/Packers/Seahawks) there's a relatively decent chance one or both those teams win which would move a Rams loss to the 4th or 5th spot.  A Rams win will move them into a 4 way tie with all the 6 win teams where they will pick last out of the bunch due to their strength of schedule.

So if the Rams do indeed help us out by beating Seattle I sure as hell hope we take advantage of it cause it would be a pretty costly draft wise. 

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Maybe they do, maybe they don’t. The key is whether they are prepared to re-sign Swift in 2024. He will probably be looking at a contract like Austin Ekeler signed for four years, $6.125 million per year, with about $14 million guaranteed. 

Agree 100%.  I think they will let him play next season and make this decision either during or after the year.  I’d hope they don’t offer him an extension this off season but I also wouldn’t put that past them. 

9 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think this front office is thinking that playmaker/ RB depth is never wrong to have.

I agree with Mich Cardinal. IMO, a RB will be selected in the first 3 rounds in 2023.

Because there's depth there. There will be talent available. And pushing Justin Jackson to 4th RB with a new draftee as 3rd RB and better depth behind Swift is not an issue at all.  A no-brainer drafting a RB in this next draft.

RB depth is a must have in the league.  They have it in spades right now.  They have a decision to make on Jamaal but I think they find a way to keep him on a nice deal.   I wouldn’t be surprised to see them add a back later on and maybe as early as round 3 but I don’t think thats a given.  There are other areas that need additional depth.  I could see this getting pushed up if they let JW go but I don’t see 1st round.  There just isn’t value taking RB that high especially in our system.   FWIW, they still like Reynolds, who has been injured and allowed Jackson to move up to RB3.   It is very possible that they don’t make any moves in the RB room but I tend to think they will add someone because as you said there are so options available in later draft rounds and free agency.