10/3 @ 3:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox

Tigeraholic1

• Tigeraholic1 changed the title to 10/3 @ 3:10 Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox
10 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Why does this game have such a weird start time? Oh yeah, this is America and football is OUR favorite show. 

MLB has scheduled the last day for all of MLB at the same time (3pm EDT) on purpose so as not to give any contending team a scheduled time edge over another going into the last game.  I think they've done this for a couple of years.

Just now, casimir said:

MLB has scheduled the last day for all of MLB at the same time (3pm EDT) on purpose so as not to give any contending team a scheduled time edge over another going into the last game.  I think they've done this for a couple of years.

I prefer my snarky interpretation of it. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I’m sure Manfred and his minions are delighted with how the way the final day of the season (or beyond) will play out. 
In essence, the playoffs start today for several teams.

If it were seven teams in each league Cincinnati and Philadelphia who are barely .500 would make it. Can’t see why they should be penalized though when a couple teams run away with it and everyone else is fairly competitive. I’m not all that wild about seven teams from each league but I am not all that much against it and it doesn’t matter what my feelings or opinions are anyway. With this new system if it’s implemented the Tigers could very well be in the playoffs next year. 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

There's got to be some money angle behind it.  I'm not sure what it is though.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

There's got to be some money angle behind it.  I'm not sure what it is though.  

The idea is to give an appearance of fairness across the board on the final day of the season. A certain World Series Championship trophy sitting in Houston pretty much speaks for what Manfred and company accept as fairness.

After giving one away last night, they can get a nice win today to close out the season.  Even if they lose its been a good season.  Did anyone expect 76 or 77 wins?  I think most people predicted under 70.  Even the number of wins are overshadowed by quality series wins and sweeps they had this year.  I haven't gone back to look but a lot of their wins were against good teams and the loses were against some crappy teams.  

The TV guys are thinking Haase will be starting catcher next year.  I like Haase and think he makes a good back up that can get more playing time occasionally in the OF and DH.  I would be open to see who else is available for a starting catcher.  

3 minutes ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

Off-topic, but do you think Jim Price will be back in the radio booth next year? Or have they announced some thing that I’ve missed?

I didn't hear anything in the last game he was on. it does kind of feel like he won't be back, just given the health problems he experienced during the season.

as much as I like him, I think I'm ready to move on. Petry, AJax, McClendon, whoever.

8 minutes ago, Evil Roy Slade said:

Off-topic, but do you think Jim Price will be back in the radio booth next year? Or have they announced some thing that I’ve missed?

To my knowledge nothing has been announced one way or another. 
Mike Shannon, another 1968 World Series participant, is retiring from the booth this year. The Cardinals did a nice pregame ceremony for him today.