Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

11 hours ago, buddha said:

lions schedule is now complete!

home:

bears, viqueens, packers, falcons, panthers, broncos, raiders, seahawks

away:

bears, viqueens, packers, chiefs, chargers, saints, bucs, cowboys, ravens.

that is a TOUGH schedule.  SIX road games against playoff teams.

I don't put much stock into what next years schedule looks like right now. Remember when everybody said this schedule was easy and it turned out to one of the toughest in the league.  If Rodgers and Brady move on, it becomes more manageable. 

14 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The Lions have their QB.

I'm wondering what the Lions will do with their own free agents...

Williams, Chark, Cominsky, Buggs, Anzalone, Elliot. All those were key players on this team and I doubt they'll be able to re-sign all of them so some tough decisions to make this offseason. There's also 4 potential cuts that they'll need to make to free up cap space. Brockers for sure, probably Harris too then Okwara and Big V.

First bold: I don't think there's any crazy money in there except for MAYBE Jamaal but... No, not him either. My prediction: we re-sign all these guys. With no drama/ overpayments attached.

Second bold: I think Brockers, Harris, and Okwara are definites. I don't think Vatai is, and actually I really hope they hold on to him for 2023...

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

If Rodgers and Brady move on, it becomes more manageable. 

Why?   We beat him twice this year and we swept him a couple of other times.   I think they're fine against him now. 

Rodgers to the Lions is what Ohio State used to be to Michigan.      Rodgers won't be back anyway, he looks fried.    That ball he threw up that KJ picked off in the 4th quarter was like a Zach Wilson throw. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Couple of minor quibbles...:

An OT also goes in the top 5 (IMO) and I don't think it's Anderson that falls... but maybe. So, I think it's most likely between Jalen Carter or Myles Murphy as our choice at #6, with an outside shot at Anderson. All good options, although my choices in order would be Carter, Murphy, then Anderson (I think...).

I think AO24 is a UFA. Meaning: we don't resign him and he doesn't even make it to training camp with the Lions.

You could be right about an OT being the riser. The Cardinals are going to be an important pick for us. If they go Anderson or Carter, one may not be there for us. If they go OT or the riser, we will be in great shape.

You're correct about AO, good catch. I could see us re-signing him for a year deal depending on what we add in free agency and the draft, but I still don't think he makes the team. I'd probably prefer re-signing Mike Hughes. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

The Lions have their QB.

Williams, Chark, Cominsky, Buggs, Anzalone, Eliot. All those were key players on this team and I doubt they'll be able to re-sign all of them so some tough decisions to make this offseason. There's also 4 potential cuts that they'll need to make to free up cap space. Brockers for sure, probably Harris too then Okwara and Big V.

I think Anzalone gets replaced in the draft and Eliot get replaced by the emergence of Kirby Joseph and a returning Tracy Walker. I think they should bring back all of Williams, Cominsky, and Buggs. Chark is the only one I am not sure of. He's going to want a multi-year deal and I'm not about to get in a bidding war for a #3 WR when we have Josh Reynolds on this team and the ability to spend a 3rd/4th round pick on getting a replacement. If Chark want to get #2 WR money and be someone else's legit, starting #2, then I probably let him walk at that point. We could get by just fine on a WR room that is St. Brown/Williams/Reynolds/Raymond/Rookie addition IMO.

You never know who's going to make a meteoric rise in the draft so guys we think we have no chance at like Anderson and Carter could potentially fall to us despite it seeming like a pipe dream at this moment.

I mean this time last year basically everybody thought it was going to be Thibs or Hutch at 1 and Thibs ended falling to number 5. So who knows, hell Anthony Richardson seems to be flying up the mock draft boards if he puts up a monster combine teams may fall in love with him and there could be 4 QBs off the board before we pick. You just never know. 

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

First bold: I don't think there's any crazy money in there except for MAYBE Jamaal but... No, not him either. My prediction: we re-sign all these guys. With no drama/ overpayments attached.

Second bold: I think Brockers, Harris, and Okwara are definites. I don't think Vatai is, and actually I really hope they hold on to him for 2023...

crazy money for jamaal williams would be crazy.  i like the guy, he's a solid contributor, but he gets what the oline gives him.  you can get that out of a lot of backs.

bring him back on reasonable terms.  if he gets a crazy money offer you pat him on the back and let him go.  they have a lot of other positions of need.

cominsky was huge for them.  what a great waiver pick up.  buggs seemed to be better at the end of the year.

lets remember, this defense had a bad season.  part of that is youth, but part of it is poor play from a lot of overmatched players, especially in the secondary.  this team needs an overhaul of the cornerback room and probably the linebacker room too.

does derrick barnes improve enough to stick?  can okudah stay healthy?  is julian okwara going to stay?  

and does aaron glenn stay?  if not, does his replacement run the same type of defense or do the lions switch it up?  do they play more zone?  if so, that requires different types of corners.

lots of uncertainties.

6 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think there is a ZERO chance that that happens.

Not a NON-zero chance... 0 chance.

I would have said the same about Anzalone last year. AO was on the field last night. I think there is zero chance he's starting next season, but I think there is a good chance he is given an opportunity to make the team in training camp. And a very good chance he squanders that chance.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would have said the same about Anzalone last year. AO was on the field last night. I think there is zero chance he's starting next season, but I think there is a good chance he is given an opportunity to make the team in training camp. And a very good chance he squanders that chance.

Nope.

No, no, no, no, no.

NO!

IMO... they'll draft a CB high. Strike 1 against AO. IMO... if they're spending on an outside FA... it'll be on a CB. And they'll shoot high. Strike 2. IMO... they do NOT like/ believe in AO. At all. Strike 3. He's out. Out of the Lions Org for good. IMO.

Did I mention the word NO on AO?

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Nope.

No, no, no, no, no.

NO!

IMO... they'll draft a CB high. Strike 1 against AO. IMO... if they're spending on an outside FA... it'll be on a CB. And they'll shoot high. Strike 2. IMO... they do NOT like/ believe in AO. At all. Strike 3. He's out. Out of the Lions Org for good. IMO.

Did I mention the word NO on AO?

Lol. I think we agree that we won't see him take another regular season snap in Detroit. Even if we say the three CB starters next year will be Okudah, a rookie, and a free agent though, who is your depth? Probably not AO, but if you can bring 90 players to training camp, I don't think there is harm on giving him the shot to be a backup... Hell, they gave Jarrad Davis that opportunity multiple times and he really stinks.

Amani was no doubt dreadful this year but he looked like a promising young player who made plays last year so Id be open to see if we can bring that player back out of him.

It's not unheard of for young players to have a set back or bad year only to bounce back and considering the lack of depth there what would it really hurt to try? 

I think the team has said that they actually like these guys:

Okudah, Jerry Jacobs, Mike Hughes.

Guys that they are going to give more chances to/ develop further because they are young/ just drafted/ have upside/ other-similar:

Chase Lucas, Khalil Dorsey, AJ Parker, Jarren Williams, Saivion Smith, maybe Bobby Price? I'm not counting Melifonwu as I think they are pushing him at Safety and no longer as CB, or Will Harris who plays a CB/ Safety hybrid position... (although maybe I SHOULD count Harris based on their usage of him...?) One other thing... The guys on this list will easily be replaced by some other undrafted free agent or another team's cast-off... by virtue of being outhustled or by whatever... Meaning that the ones who show the most upside or special teams ability, whether it's these guys or any other guys brought in, will stick. Maybe we get a nickel out of these guys... or not. But this is just bottom of the roster churn. I'm not counting on anything aside from low-level depth... any upside we get is just gravy. But they do fit the narrative of getting to your 90 guys in camp.

New guys:

I can almost bet we'll spend a 1st on a CB and a 2nd or 3rd on a Safety. So a couple new high-end guys for the secondary. And that Hughes will be very, very open to spending FA money on a high-end CB.

That's two new high end CB's for the Lions (IMO) for 2023. Plus whoever we pick up as a 6th rounder, or undrafted, or from other teams...

Listen... I think you're just stuck on the devil-you-know and reluctant to let go of someone who clearly needs to move on. I will almost guarantee that AO will NOT be in training camp. This team is moving on from him. Now.

14 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Amani was no doubt dreadful this year but he looked like a promising young player who made plays last year so Id be open to see if we can bring that player back out of him.

It's not unheard of for young players to have a set back or bad year only to bounce back and considering the lack of depth there what would it really hurt to try? 

He's looked dreadful for 3 out of 4 years.

He only looked good last year because every other Lions CB was even worse. 

I think the Lions/ Hughes/ Campbell/ Glenn all know that so...

Maybe I'm wrong...

But I think the team will move on from him. My 2 cents.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Rodgers to the Lions is what Ohio State used to be to Michigan.      Rodgers won't be back anyway, he looks fried.    That ball he threw up that KJ picked off in the 4th quarter was like a Zach Wilson throw. 

I think Rodgers has turned into Jay Cutler

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

The Lions have their QB.

Williams, Chark, Cominsky, Buggs, Anzalone, Eliot. All those were key players on this team and I doubt they'll be able to re-sign all of them so some tough decisions to make this offseason. There's also 4 potential cuts that they'll need to make to free up cap space. Brockers for sure, probably Harris too then Okwara and Big V.

Obviously over simplifying here as there are nuances and lots of details to consider, but:

On a scale of 1 to 5... 1 = Only if we can get him dirt cheap. 5 = Break the bank if we need to.

Williams - 4: I think he fits what Campbell wants in a player.

Chark - 1: Resign only if we can get him for cheap, which we probably can't.  Jaymo fills the Chark role so don't need to over spend here.

Cominsky and Buggs - 3: Levi is a lost cause I'm afraid.  Need some vets on in the inside.  We'll probably draft a DT, but having depth and vet leadership here will help.  But don't spend too much.

Anzalone - 4: This is based more on the absolute lack of talent at LB vs. Anzalone being that good.

Eliot - 4: Walker will hopefully be coming back but's clear we need depth here.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Anzalone gets replaced in the draft and Eliot get replaced by the emergence of Kirby Joseph and a returning Tracy Walker. I think they should bring back all of Williams, Cominsky, and Buggs. Chark is the only one I am not sure of. He's going to want a multi-year deal and I'm not about to get in a bidding war for a #3 WR when we have Josh Reynolds on this team and the ability to spend a 3rd/4th round pick on getting a replacement. If Chark want to get #2 WR money and be someone else's legit, starting #2, then I probably let him walk at that point. We could get by just fine on a WR room that is St. Brown/Williams/Reynolds/Raymond/Rookie addition IMO.

Walker might not return until late next season and next season could be a write off of (similar to what happened with Okwara) so I wouldn't be counting on Walker to be 100% even when he returns.

Chark is a #2 and was key in the Lions resurgence down the stretch. I don't think he's irreplaceable but I think he's an important re-sign if the Lions have designs on contending. Maybe Jamo is ready to take on Chark's role and they can bring in a cheaper guy to eat up some receptions but Chark is a key player because of his ability to stretch the field and catch 50/50 balls.

Cominsky is a must re-sign, the difference when he was out was very noticeable and his pressure rate is high end. Buggs as well, played a big part in their improved run defense (Carolina game notwithstanding).

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Texans have put in a request to interview Johnson. I know theres only so many openings so beggars can't be choosers but I hope for his sake he can land a better job than that dumpster fire of an organization.

Yep.  He’s not really in a position to turn down the job if offered but you kind of hope for his sake they pick someone else.  

Also, the Panthers are going to interview Jim Caldwell.   Maybe he can break the streak of former Lions HC’s. 

Perusing Twitter, it looks like the Texans have also requested DeMeco Ryans, Ejiro Evero, Shane Steichen, and Jonathan Gannon. Gannon was a close 2nd last year when they hired Smith. Ryans was a former star in Houston with ties to the organization.

They've done their homework in requesting the interview with Johnson, but I doubt he's their first choice out of the gate.

Plus...

I'm hoping Ben Johnson is looking at the interviews as a learning experience only and the actual job (any NFL head coaching job) as... "I'm not quite ready for this and don't want to fail".

I hope he makes a personal decision to stick with the Lions and learn from Campbell how to head coach (as DC learned under Sean Payton) for at least a couple years before taking off for an HC opportunity. I know they don't come around that often and ya' take the opportunity when it presents itself... I'm just sayin'... (not entirely without a personal vested interest in my Detroit Lions team...).

Don't get me wrong I want him to stay but if he wants to be a HC it would probably be in his best interest to strike while the iron is hot cause you never know what tomorrow will bring. 

Right now he may be the flavor of the month in regards to the hot shot young OCs go but next year they're could be 4 or 5 new guys come along and he just gets pushed back in the line, especially if the Lions offense takes a step back next year. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

They are signing back Practice Squad players on futures contracts already...:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/1/9/23547274/detroit-lions-sign-10-players-to-futures-deal-for-2023

Here’s a look at the players who have been re-upped for 2023:

• RB Jermar Jefferson
  • WR Maurice Alexander
  • WR Stanley Berryhill
  • WR Tom Kennedy
  • OT Obinna Eze
  • OT Darri Paulo
  • DT Demetrius Taylor
  • CB Jarren Williams
  • CB Khalil Dorsey
  • S Brady Breeze