Jump to content

Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023


Mr.TaterSalad

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even Sheila was in the locker room for this one, Campbell gave her a game ball and said she is the best owner around. Yeah you're not going to talk bad about your boss but I don't think coaches before would have gone out of their way to put over previous Fords.

I agree with a lot of what he said. I would take Sheila all day every day over a lot of the clowns that own NFL teams for status items, or who think they know more about football than they do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They are signing back Practice Squad players on futures contracts already...:

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/1/9/23547274/detroit-lions-sign-10-players-to-futures-deal-for-2023

Here’s a look at the players who have been re-upped for 2023:

  • CB Jarren Williams

Detroit: “All your Ja. Williams are belong to us.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listening to 97.1 today someone mentioned the possibility of the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl and the Lions/Chiefs game at Arrowhead being the NFL opener. This wouldn't surprise me at all. The Lions are likely going to get a lot of national love this offseason and are probably going to be the odds on favorites to win the NFC North.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Lions Packers game drew the highest SNF finale ratings in 6 years bringing in 23 million. Yeah you can point to the Packers but this wasn't the first time the Packers were on with major playoff implications and they never drew this high of number. Also earlier in the year the Packers and first place Eagles only drew 16 million so this was a major spike in viewership. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Lions Packers game drew the highest SNF finale ratings in 6 years bringing in 23 million. Yeah you can point to the Packers but this wasn't the first time the Packers were on with major playoff implications and they never drew this high of number. Also earlier in the year the Packers and first place Eagles only drew 16 million so this was a major spike in viewership. 

The game six years ago was also Lions/Packers, ironically enough.

In retrospect, it should have been too surprising. The storyline going into the game of the gritty up-and-comer going against the perennial powerhouse with the QB who has terrorized the division and the league for so long has "David and Goliath" vibes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Listening to 97.1 today someone mentioned the possibility of the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl and the Lions/Chiefs game at Arrowhead being the NFL opener. This wouldn't surprise me at all. The Lions are likely going to get a lot of national love this offseason and are probably going to be the odds on favorites to win the NFC North.

I definitely think that game is going to be a prime time game, you have to figure were gonna get atleast one and outside of the Cowboys and Packers the Chiefs are probably the most high profile team we face.

It would be a little benefit if we did catch them in week 1 cause for starters I feel that first week is the most volatile of any so if you're going to play a superior team that would be the best time to do so and for another it would be nice playing in KC when it's 80 vs. potentially playing in sub freezing weather if we got them late in the year. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The game six years ago was also Lions/Packers, ironically enough.

In retrospect, it should have been too surprising. The storyline going into the game of the gritty up-and-comer going against the perennial powerhouse with the QB who has terrorized the division and the league for so long has "David and Goliath" vibes.

it was also a close game throughout and the packers were win and in.

as for the future, the lions have some good matchups with top/popular teams next season: chiefs, broncos, raiders, packers, bears.  one would think that one of those becomes the tgiving game and a few more get prime time treatment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not that this matters in the grand scheme of things. Let me get this straight, ESPN's final NFL Power Rankings has the Lions at #15 and The Packers at #13. What the fuck? We beat 'em twice. You can stop kissing Aaron's ass, ESPN, nobody likes him (just like nobody likes you anymore.

They're owned by Disney. Corporate came down and said kneecapping isn't "family friendly" and to knock them down a few pegs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, buddha said:

it was also a close game throughout and the packers were win and in.

The final game of the year is almost always a win and in game, which makes the rating being so high sort of notable: it simply exceeded a lot of other previous similar matchups in that slot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously I want to keep Ben Johnson, but I'm not sure Dan Campbell gets enough credit for the offensive output this season, particularly with regards to Goff. The decision on play-caller wasn't even made (at least publicly) until the lead up to the opener. If I remember correctly, it was a joint effort in the preseason. Further, this offensive turnaround didn't start when Ben Johnson became OC, it started when Dan Campbell took over for Anthony Lynn, last season. I'll never forget our first win of this regime, when Jared Goff threw a buzzer beater to beat Minnesota, and instead of celebrating with ASB and his offense, he ran and bear hugged Dan Campbell.

Ben Johnson is a brilliant guy. I love his creativity, and I'd love to see what he can do with a full offseason of work with Goff, Jamo, Swift, and ASB, in addition to a rookie class... At the same time, I also think that Dan Campbell is the real puppet master here, and that the offense starts with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Obviously I want to keep Ben Johnson, but I'm not sure Dan Campbell gets enough credit for the offensive output this season, particularly with regards to Goff. The decision on play-caller wasn't even made (at least publicly) until the lead up to the opener. If I remember correctly, it was a joint effort in the preseason. Further, this offensive turnaround didn't start when Ben Johnson became OC, it started when Dan Campbell took over for Anthony Lynn, last season. I'll never forget our first win of this regime, when Jared Goff threw a buzzer beater to beat Minnesota, and instead of celebrating with ASB and his offense, he ran and bear hugged Dan Campbell.

Ben Johnson is a brilliant guy. I love his creativity, and I'd love to see what he can do with a full offseason of work with Goff, Jamo, Swift, and ASB, in addition to a rookie class... At the same time, I also think that Dan Campbell is the real puppet master here, and that the offense starts with him.

DC is way smarter than he looks. 

If he turns the Lions into a Super Bowl winner his fame will transcend football. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Obviously I want to keep Ben Johnson, but I'm not sure Dan Campbell gets enough credit for the offensive output this season, particularly with regards to Goff. The decision on play-caller wasn't even made (at least publicly) until the lead up to the opener. If I remember correctly, it was a joint effort in the preseason. Further, this offensive turnaround didn't start when Ben Johnson became OC, it started when Dan Campbell took over for Anthony Lynn, last season. I'll never forget our first win of this regime, when Jared Goff threw a buzzer beater to beat Minnesota, and instead of celebrating with ASB and his offense, he ran and bear hugged Dan Campbell.

Ben Johnson is a brilliant guy. I love his creativity, and I'd love to see what he can do with a full offseason of work with Goff, Jamo, Swift, and ASB, in addition to a rookie class... At the same time, I also think that Dan Campbell is the real puppet master here, and that the offense starts with him.

if johnson does leave, i trust dan campbell to find a good replacement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2023 at 6:00 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Don't get me wrong I want him to stay but if he wants to be a HC it would probably be in his best interest to strike while the iron is hot cause you never know what tomorrow will bring. 

Right now he may be the flavor of the month in regards to the hot shot young OCs go but next year they're could be 4 or 5 new guys come along and he just gets pushed back in the line, especially if the Lions offense takes a step back next year. 

 

I agree with this.  I do NOT want Johnson to leave, but you don't know what 2023 will bring.  What if Goff breaks his leg in the first game of the season?  The best OC in the world isn't going to look fantastic with a back QB (I mean... unless that backup QB is Brady).

I don't think there is any doubt that if he tries the HC route and fails that he won't get MANY offers to be a OC again.  If he sticks in Detroit and things go south next year, it may be a while before he gets another HC shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn get head coaching jobs. Good teams have their coordinators hired by other teams and good coaches having a coaching tree. I want a Dan Campbell coaching tree. Good teams develop new coaches. Do you think Andy Reid cares when teams come for his coaches? The Lions should have coordinators in waiting in case Johnson and Glenn get hired. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Not that this matters in the grand scheme of things. Let me get this straight, ESPN's final NFL Power Rankings has the Lions at #15 and The Packers at #13. What the fuck? We beat 'em twice. You can stop kissing Aaron's ass, ESPN, nobody likes him (just like nobody likes you anymore.

Do you have a link to that?  I could only find the week 18 rankings which came out before the final games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      243
    • Most Online
      186

    Newest Member
    guy incognito
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...