Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

... I suppose he's better on himself for a better job in the future or he feels he's learning something from Campbell... I dunno.  Whatever the reason I'm happy we've got him for another year at least.

The simple answer is he likes being with the Lions.

Nothing further required.

But I'm just guessing...

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I’ve seen a report that Cominsky, Anzalone and Buggs have approached the team saying they’re willing to take less money to stay.

If true the world has turned upside down

I’ve seen the social posts from the players wanting to stay but I haven’t seen anything about them talking less money to do it.   

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I’ve seen a report that Cominsky, Anzalone and Buggs have approached the team saying they’re willing to take less money to stay.

If true the world has turned upside down

It's a good thing, but I also think it makes a lot of sense for those three to have a strong desire to return. They are all guys whose career has been made or resurrected in Detroit. Cominsky was released by the Falcons and found his niche as a situational lineman here. Anzalone is a pretty lousy linebacker as far as NFL starters go, but is a really strong leader on this defense and in the locker room. Buggs is a 6th rounder who was released by two teams before finding his role in Glenn's defense. None of them are as likely to find that kind of organizational fit elsewhere at this point in their career. It's also a real possibility that some of them don't make the 53-man after the draft and free agency, whether in Detroit or elsewhere. Much more likely they make it in Detroit than elsewhere though.

It would mean a bit more if it was Jamaal Williams or DJ Chark to say they'll re-sign for less (though the former has kind of insinuated such).

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Johnson also took himself out of the running in Houston and Indianapolis. 

This is why the idea that the agent heard rumors he wasn't going to get it seems less likely to me.  Obviously possible that they heard rumors he wasn't going to get any job, but... there's probably still some jobs that are opening yet.

If I had to guess I'd say that Johnson feels he still needs to learn more before he's ready to be a HC and that he's fail as a HC right now.  Obviously purely a guess on my part, but if so that's a very good thing for him to do, but it may end up costing him.

9 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’ve seen the social posts from the players wanting to stay but I haven’t seen anything about them talking less money to do it.   

I saw the rumor from someone on Facebook, but the source wasn't someone I had heard of before so wasn't too sure how solid it was.

7 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

This is why the idea that the agent heard rumors he wasn't going to get it seems less likely to me.  Obviously possible that they heard rumors he wasn't going to get any job, but... there's probably still some jobs that are opening yet.

If I had to guess I'd say that Johnson feels he still needs to learn more before he's ready to be a HC and that he's fail as a HC right now.  Obviously purely a guess on my part, but if so that's a very good thing for him to do, but it may end up costing him.

If true, I think this is terrible agenting. 

You need to interview well before getting any head coaching job no matter how much interest a team shows (see Harbaugh Vikings).  Every interview is great experience to take on to the next one.   I think he made a mistake as a first time HC candidate by not taking advantage of the opportunity to interview.   You also never know where someone in that room will be in 5 years, an impressive interview now with Carolina or Indy could be what gets him an ideal job somewhere else down the road with an executive that’s moved jobs to a different organization.  

Johnson already did a virtual interview with Carolina. He was scheduled to meet in person with the Panthers. Sources close to the Panthers, not his agent, said he was the front runner. You go for the in person interview even if you aren't the front runner. I think it's more likely Ben Johnson didn't want the job more than the Panthers or every other team didn't want him. I've been reading on Twitter that the Panthers have been interviewing coordinators before hiring a coach. Panther fans are complaining about the toxicity of ownership. Lions don't have toxic ownership. 

14 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm shocked he would already close the door on head coaching opportunities this year. Not only do players want to stay in Detroit, now coaches do. 

They see something special being built here and want to be a part of it. I know most Lions fans have PTSD from the past and I get it but football people actually want to be here now, get used to it. I also think Sheila probably gave him quite a bag to convince him to stay.

Probably wishful thinking but I wonder if their own free agents will take a bit of a discount to stay. I see Williams and Cominsky as possible candidates to take a bit of a paycut to be a part of this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

.... You need to interview well before getting any head coaching job no matter how much interest a team shows (see Harbaugh Vikings).  Every interview is great experience to take on to the next one.   I think he made a mistake as a first time HC candidate by not taking advantage of the opportunity to interview.   You also never know where someone in that room will be in 5 years, an impressive interview now with Carolina or Indy could be what gets him an ideal job somewhere else down the road with an executive that’s moved jobs to a different organization.  

This is what I was thinking. 

He should have interviewed just for the experience and, as you say, possible connections for further down the road...

johnson must have a lot of faith in himself to come back, or maybe not a lot of faith in himself as a head coach? the lions are one jared goff injury away from having a really bad offense.

strike while the iron is hot.  take the money and run.

otoh, he may feel he's not ready to be an nfl head coach?  that might show a level of self awareness most individuals dont possess.

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

Probably wishful thinking but I wonder if their own free agents will take a bit of a discount to stay. I see Williams and Cominsky as possible candidates to take a bit of a paycut to be a part of this.

I’m not sure any will take less from the Lions if presented a bigger offer in free agency.  I could see someone taking a fair number with the Lions before the market opens and not opting to see if a better offer is out there for them in FA.  

50 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I’m not sure any will take less from the Lions if presented a bigger offer in free agency.  I could see someone taking a fair number with the Lions before the market opens and not opting to see if a better offer is out there for them in FA.  

any football player that isnt tom brady or a player who has earned generational money should NEVER take a discount to play anywhere.  football players' careers are so short, they should get all the money they can as quick as they can get it.  

because it is over very soon for 90% of them.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

any football player that isnt tom brady or a player who has earned generational money should NEVER take a discount to play anywhere.  football players' careers are so short, they should get all the money they can as quick as they can get it.  

because it is over very soon for 90% of them.

I don’t think it’s quite as binary as “Team A wants me to return for the vet minimum of $900k with $300k guaranteed and incentives vs. Team B wants me to sign for $1.2MM with $500k guaranteed and incentives, so I’ll choose Team B”.

If you’re a relatively mediocre vet like Anzalone or Buggs who found a useful role in Detroit, your chances of making the 53-man roster aren’t guaranteed (here or elsewhere). You may think staying with the Lions for a lower overall contract value will make more sense, because you have a better chance at playing more, hitting the various incentives, and making more long-term.

That being said, I agree with the notion that these players do not “owe” the franchise or fans anything. With the amount of hell they go through in the course of a season and career, they should absolutely make smart monetary decisions.

Internally I like Kelvin Shepard. Externally I like Kris Richard. Former defensive coordinator for the Seahawks during the legion of boom era, also a former and current secondary coach. He was hired by Sean Payton to replace Aaron Glenn after Glenn left for Detroit. He doesn't have a direct Campbell link but seems like he could be a good fit especially if the Lions are bringing in some young cornerbacks. 

I'm sure most people know this but for those that don't, we would atleast receive draft compensation if Glenn leaves since he is a minority. I believe SF got atleast 1 third rounder and possibly more when Mcdaniel left. 

I of course would rather keep Glenn but atleast we would get some consolation prize. 

Sheila doesn't get enough credit. I was thinking about the hiring of Spielman. He was an announcer. He wasn't their A team but I imagine his salary was 7 figures. She was able to lure him away from a high paying job to work in the front office. The GM search was done right. Interviewed 15-20 candidates including former GMs and up and comers. No one even knew who Brad Holmes was and the marriage between Holmes and Campbell has been perfect. She also gave them a 6 year contract. She gave them time to do it right instead of a quick fix. The most underrated move is hiring John Dorsey. This is the guy who was the architect of the Chiefs who drafted Mahomes, Kelce and Hill. He goes to Cleveland and takes an 1-31 team to 11 wins and playoff win. His issue was the relationship between coaches and salary cap. Two things he doesn't have to deal with with the Lions. He's one of the best talent evaluators in the league and has to be making GM level money. Finally paying up for Ben Johnson who is one of the up and coming offensive coaches in the league. She's supporting the team without being meddling and completely changed the culture to where players and coaches want to be a part of this team. Dare I say she's moved ahead of Illitch and Gores as the best owner in Detroit? 

• Thanks 1