Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

50 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Lions announced they are getting new artificial turf for Ford Field and all their practice facilities. They are going with "FieldTurf Core System" all around,it's supposedly the best and safest artificial turf around in terms of injury prevention. We shall see. 

Credit to Sheila for making the move. Probably not a move that had to be done, but one requested by players/coaching staff. Can’t have been cheap either, not that she’s hurting.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The Lions announced they are getting new artificial turf for Ford Field and all their practice facilities. They are going with "FieldTurf Core System" all around,it's supposedly the best and safest artificial turf around in terms of injury prevention. We shall see. 

When Field Turf was introduced it was widely acknowledged as the best artificial surface to play on. Now recently you see the stories about stadium owners having moved away from field turf because it's a poor advertising medium - it doesn't take to constant repainting very well, so the fields that have replaced it some places were better to paint but much worse to play on. Ain't that America?

Edited by gehringer_2

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Credit to Sheila for making the move. Probably not a move that had to be done, but one requested by players/coaching staff. Can’t have been cheap either, not that she’s hurting.

Nflpa called for a ban

9 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Nflpa called for a ban

I shouldn't complain because advertising generates a lot of (relatively) free stuff for everyone, but I have to believe that the people who buy many forms of advertising have been totally conned by the people who sell advertising regarding the effectiveness of many types of ads. If in the history of the US there is one purchase that was made based on something someone saw painted on a football field or the ice at the hockey arena, I would be surprised.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I shouldn't complain because advertising generates a lot of (relatively) free stuff for everyone, but I have to believe that the people who buy many forms of advertising have been totally conned by the people who sell advertising regarding the effectiveness of many types of ads. If in the history of the US there is one purchase that was made based on something someone saw painted on a football field or the ice at the hockey arena, I would be surprised.

Its more about putting the name in a person's head. So if you see little Ceasars a bunch of time, the idea is planted that way when someone thinks pizza they see your brand or drives past a store it sticks out in the mind.

Few ads get direct buys, but it's about brand recognition and planting the idea so when it comes time, the name sticks out.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Its more about putting the name in a person's head. So if you see little Ceasars a bunch of time, the idea is planted that way when someone thinks pizza they see your brand or drives past a store it sticks out in the mind.

Few ads get direct buys, but it's about brand recognition and planting the idea so when it comes time, the name sticks out.

of course just to play Devil's advocate, this is exactly the argument an advertiser should make because  it's a Devilishly hard one to verify quantitatively.....:classic_wink:

Edited by gehringer_2

It's a new brand out of California. It performed well at first but only under certain conditions and certain drivers. Didn't perform well in cold conditions and lacks top end acceleration. In the right conditions it's pretty safe, prefers efficiency over high speed. Had low  resale value and owners had to pay to get rid of it. It was replaced with a Mustang GT with a little wear. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The more I digest last night’s Eagles-49ers game, the more I want this Lions team to be all-in this offseason.

I’m not advocating for mortgaging the future by any means and “selling the farm”, but I don’t think there is a need for patience or development of a rebuilding plan anymore. Go sign some free agents, draft some instant play-makers and make a run. The NFC on the whole is simply beatable.

Don’t wait for the Cowboys, Giants, Vikings, Panthers, or Seahawks to claim that spot as the NFC power alongside the Eagles and Niners (who are both themselves beatable). The NFC is up for grabs, go friggin take it.

45 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The more I digest last night’s Eagles-49ers game, the more I want this Lions team to be all-in this offseason.

I’m not advocating for mortgaging the future by any means and “selling the farm”, but I don’t think there is a need for patience or development of a rebuilding plan anymore. Go sign some free agents, draft some instant play-makers and make a run. The NFC on the whole is simply beatable.

Don’t wait for the Cowboys, Giants, Vikings, Panthers, or Seahawks to claim that spot as the NFC power alongside the Eagles and Niners (who are both themselves beatable). The NFC is up for grabs, go friggin take it.

Yep just another reason why Im not onboard with drafting a qb early. I won't throw a tantrum if they do but I want a guy that could contribute right away cause I think we're close especially given the shape of the conference. Things can change quickly in the NFL so when you have a chance you need to do what you can to best take advantage of it.