Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Maybe that would work on the drawing board, but does anyone think that Fields and his agent would accept the Taysom Hill role with a new contract coming up? This plan would blow up before the end of draft weekend. 

Taysom makes a lot of money. Probably a good comp, although Fields is faster than Hill.

40 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

They had one amazing team in 85 and arguably one of the most disappointing in 86.   Granted they did get fucked by Charles Martin.

Can you imagine if this happened today and caused someone like Mahomes to be out for the season.   Cant forget the best part, Martin had the numbers of Bears players on his hit list on his towel.    Straight savage.    He got 2 a game suspension.    He’d be banned forever if that happened now.  
B3FD859F-C996-4B6B-A6D0-05D64AD9355C.jpeg.8679ac404e0038969ff30ee995bb72bd.jpeg

There was plenty of controversy when it happened. I was very amused by it.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

They had one amazing team in 85 and arguably one of the most disappointing in 86.   Granted they did get fucked by Charles Martin.

Can you imagine if this happened today and caused someone like Mahomes to be out for the season.   Cant forget the best part, Martin had the numbers of Bears players on his hit list on his towel.    Straight savage.    He got 2 a game suspension.    He’d be banned forever if that happened now.  
B3FD859F-C996-4B6B-A6D0-05D64AD9355C.jpeg.8679ac404e0038969ff30ee995bb72bd.jpeg

the bears went 14-2 in 1986.

i'd like to be that disappointed as a lions fan just once.

between 84 and 91 the bears went:

10-6

15-1

14-2

11-4

12-4

6-10

11-5

11-5

they won the division 6 times and 5 years in a row.  they won a super bowl.  they were the most dominant team in the division and one of the most dominant teams in the league.  they just happened to play in the nfc during a time when it was full of dominant franchises: giants, niners, and redskins.  the eagles were pretty damn good too.

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

the bears went 14-2 in 1986.

i'd like to be that disappointed as a lions fan just once.

Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs as the defending champ after going 14-2 is a disappointing season.   There aren’t any 25 or 50 year reunion celebrations of the 86 Bears. 

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

between 84 and 91 the bears went:

10-6 

15-1 

14-2 

11-4

12-4 

6-10 

11-5 

11-5

they won the division 6 times and 5 years in a row.  they won a super bowl.  they were the most dominant team in the division and one of the most dominant teams in the league.  they just happened to play in the nfc during a time when it was full of dominant franchises: giants, niners, and redskins.  the eagles were pretty damn good too.

10-6 - shutout in NFC Champ

15-1 - One of Greatest teams ever

14-2 - upset 1st round 

11-4 - upset 1st round

12-4 - scored 3 points and destroyed in NFC Champ

6-10 - missed

11-5 - scored 3 points and destroyed in NFC Champ

11-5 - upset in 1st round of the playoffs.

1 great team and a bunch of underachieving good ones.  

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Losing in the 1st round of the playoffs as the defending champ after going 14-2 is a disappointing season.   There aren’t any 25 or 50 year reunion celebrations of the 86 Bears. 

10-6 - shutout in NFC Champ

15-1 - One of Greatest teams ever

14-2 - upset 1st round 

11-4 - upset 1st round

12-4 - scored 3 points and destroyed in NFC Champ

6-10 - missed

11-5 - scored 3 points and destroyed in NFC Champ

11-5 - upset in 1st round of the playoffs.

1 great team and a bunch of underachieving good ones.  

14-2 is not a disappointing team.  youre a lions fan for god's sake!

they lost to the 12-4 redskins.  the same skins that won the super bowl the next year.

48 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Keep loving on the Bears.   If I were to call your phone right now, I bet the ringtone would be Bear Down, Chicago Bears.   

i hate the bears, but i can recognize that they were damn good in the 80s.

its like u$c.  everyone knows theyre a bunch of arrogant cheaters who succeeded as much on luck as skill, but i can still acknowledge theyve been pretty good at times.  🙂

16 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jesus, you people keep missing the point. 

Not really... we're just saying you made your point wrong.  You should have said something more along the lines of: Goff's numbers in Detroit this year are better than any QB's numbers from Chicago ever.

On a side note, given how much the league has changed, I wonder how modern records would stack up against previous years.  I almost wish we had a converter like we do with the value of a dollar.... like a salary of $10,000 in 1950 would be the equivalent to over $123K in today's money.

Given the changes in rules and strategies I don't think anyone questions that there is more passing today than in years past... not to mention that there are more games now too.  Maybe if I'm bored sometime I'll put together a spreadsheet of total passing yards per year divided by the number of teams and then get a ratio of year to year.  Obviously it would be very imperfect but might be a way to at least sorta compare different eras.

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

His coaching record doesn't seem impressive. Seems like he got fire from North Carolina. I honestly thought Campbell could do better. If we were going to former Lion route, I would have hired Glover Quinn. 

Bah... he wasn't fired.  “Dre and [UNC] mutually agreed to part ways so that he could explore other opportunities in the coaching profession."  Clearly Bly knew he was ready for the next step so...

On a side note Quinn has no coaching experience from what I can tell.  Has he expressed any interest in coaching?  I've listened to his podcast a few times and he seems knowledgeable.  Obviously that doesn't mean he would make a good coach, but if he expressed interested I'd be all for bringing him in at a lower level to see how he did.

Feels like a meh hire to me. I seem to recall Bly being more of a gambler and taking risks and getting picks but also getting burned. CB is probably the worst position on the roster and will almost certainly have a rookie or two so I was hoping for more accomplished coach. I really don't want Bly to teach his style to young CBs. I also seem to only remember Bly for throwing Harrington under the bus when Mariucci got fired. 

On 2/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, buddha said:

you also have to remember, these are the bears.  the only thing dumber than the bears are bears fans.

the organization finally got wise (75 years after it started) and is building a new stadium.  but the mccaskeys still own the team and make decisions on who picks the players, etc.

i, for one, cannot wait to bet money on the bears under win total next year.  just like this year, it will be too high because vegas knows bears fans are a special kind of stupid when it comes to their football team.

Speak of the new stadium, the Bears are building a dome stadium, right? It's a shame that all these teams are going that route from outside stadium to domes with the Bills and Titans being next.

One of the great things about football that distinguishes itself from other sports is the outside elements and it's being taken away from us little by little. 

21 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Speak of the new stadium, the Bears are building a dome stadium, right? It's a shame that all these teams are going that route from outside stadium to domes with the Bills and Titans being next.

One of the great things about football that distinguishes itself from other sports is the outside elements and it's being taken away from us little by little. 

With a domed stadium, Chicago is guaranteed a Super Bowl, Final Four, possibly a national championship game among other events. Same for Nashville. Not sure if Buffalo will be in the mix for a Super Bowl even with a domed stadium. 

What's funny is Soldier Field wasn't really designed for football and was only suppose to be a temporary stadium. Then they put that spaceship on it and ruined its historical status. 

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

As constructed currently, this Bills team has been hindered by playing outdoors.   

Edited by Hongbit

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

they are smartly getting a domed stadium.

soldier field is a shithole and incredibly inconvenient to get to.  and the bears do not own it.  its a ridiculous set up.

the city of chicago had many many chances to work with the bears and get them a new stadium, but they refused becuase the city of chicago is a horribly run city (and the bears are a horribly run team).

now theyre doing the smart thing and moving.  the current administration can call fhe bears names and act indignant, but they did nothing to prevent this from happening.

not that it matters in the long run, she's not likely to win re-election and it will be an upset if she makes the run off.  not impossible, but unlikely.