Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... Don't neglect the defense by any means, but go get yourself a Bijan Robinson, Quentin Johnston, or the next Pat Mahomes if you see him there. Go build yourself the best offensive line in the league. Do what it takes to just friggin' outscore the opponent.

I'll let Holmes manage that balancing act. It's a tough one and I do not disagree that he both needs to build talent on the defensive side as well as not ignore opportunities to add significant talent on the O side...

I think I've said before that if he drafts Bijan I'll get behind whatever moves he makes.

I mean, I have personal preferences, and believe a 2nd/ 3rd round RB will suffice for this team... and I do want him to concentrate on adding a lot of defensive talent in the draft and FA this year.... But, yeah, again, if he drafts Bijan or anyone else on O it's "Trust in Holmes". 

So in theory I don't disagree with ya'... although I may have different ideas of which players I'd like Holmes to target.

😉

• Like 1

How much they can spend in free agency will depend largely on who they bring back among the defensive guys that are free agents. Like Elliot, Cominsky, Harris, and Anzalone. They were an awful defense for the year, and bringing the same guys back doesn't seem like a good idea. However they did improve a lot over the last 10 games. 

I guess it depends on how much each those guys need to be paid, but this FO seems like they like to retain players whom have proven on the field rather than spend in free agency.

Lions are at number 12 on ESPN's "way too early rankings", not sure if that already factors in things like upcoming draft capital or how well you are going to be positioned in FA but if it doesnt don't be surprised if we move even higher come preseason.

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lions are at number 12 on ESPN's "way too early rankings", not sure if that already factors in things like upcoming draft capital or how well you are going to be positioned in FA but if it doesnt don't be surprised if we move even higher come preseason.

i dont know why theyre rated lower than the vikings.  the vikings are going to have rebuild that whole team other than justin jefferson.

The NFC is not very good. You will have Philadelphia. San Francisco has a lot of free agents. We'll see how many they can retain and if they can continue to just plug in any QB. Dallas seems kind of in flux, so who else is left? I'm having a hard time thinking of five teams in the NFC who project to be better than the Lions.

Seattle has a lot of nice pieces along with some high draft picks. If Geno is the real deal they can be one of the top teams in the NFC.

The Rams have a lot of aging stars but limited cap and no draft picks. Stafford was not good when he was healthy. Are injuries finally catching up with Stafford?

Minnesota was a fraud. They have cap issues and should come back to reality. 

Rodgers may not be returning to Green Bay. If he is, he's turning 40 and was not his usual self this season. Packers also have limited cap space and Rodgers is obsessed with keeping past their prime veterans like Cobb. 

I'm not a believer in the Giants. 

Carolina I think is underrated but are they better than the Lions? As of right now, I don't think so. The NFC South looks terrible so they have a great chance of making the playoffs. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not sure offensive coordinator of Tampa is an upgrade. The team has no QB and is facing a rebuild and Bowles may only be there one more year. 

I agree that considering the situation it isn't an upgrade but in a vacuum an OC is higher on the coaching ladder than Running Backs coach/Asst. HC right? Just wondering why else he would even consider going there other than he has already had a bad vibe/experience in just the 1 week he has been here.

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree that considering the situation it isn't an upgrade but in a vacuum an OC is higher on the coaching ladder than Running Backs coach/Asst. HC right? Just wondering why else he would even consider going there other than he has already had a bad vibe/experience in just the 1 week he has been here.

I would say so since most teams hire coordinators for head coaches. Campbell was one of the rare non play callers to get a job. Johnson and Glenn were getting head coaching interest while Staley was not. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's really the main way to get a hc job

They don't have brady which means they will go young. If he gets a rookie pro bowler he'll shoot up the charts as a possible candidate. 

11 hours ago, KL2 said:

It's really the main way to get a hc job

They don't have brady which means they will go young. If he gets a rookie pro bowler he'll shoot up the charts as a possible candidate. 

On the other hand if he's the assistant HC here he might have a legit shot of becoming the OC here in Detroit when Johnson leaves?  Obviously lots and lots of variables... 

• Will the Lions be just as good offensively next year so that Johnson gets HC interest again?
  • Will Johnson leave this time?
  • Is there anyone else inline between me and the OC job if Johnson leaves?
  • Will Tampa get a decent QB?
  • Even if the offensive isn't good in Tampa next year, does having a year of OC on my resume look better?
  • What's Tampa offering payment-wise for OC vs. Detroit for RB coach/Assistant HC?
  • Is the physical location of Tampa more attractive to him vs. Detroit? (Weather, family, etc)

So, to answer @RandyMarsh's question a bit... I don't think it has to be a bad vibe he had here in Detroit. There are lots and lots of reasons why he might consider going or staying.

11 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

F460DA15-0780-4DC8-9EFE-8060F28E0537.jpeg

Okay, as someone who doesn't gamble... what do these numbers mean?  I mean I get that the lower number means that FanDuel thinks its more likely that that team will win, but what does this amount to in terms of payouts?  Like if I put down $100 on the Chiefs, and they won, what do I win?  If I put $100 down on the Cardinals and they won, what do I win?

25 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Okay, as someone who doesn't gamble... what do these numbers mean?  I mean I get that the lower number means that FanDuel thinks its more likely that that team will win, but what does this amount to in terms of payouts?  Like if I put down $100 on the Chiefs, and they won, what do I win?  If I put $100 down on the Cardinals and they won, what do I win?

$600 or $28,000.

good luck on your ace....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Okay, as someone who doesn't gamble... what do these numbers mean?  I mean I get that the lower number means that FanDuel thinks it’s more likely that that team will win, but what does this amount to in terms of payouts?  Like if I put down $100 on the Chiefs, and they won, what do I win?  If I put $100 down on the Cardinals and they won, what do I win?

Anything with  + in front is the amount you’d win if you bet $100.   KC is essentially 6/1 odds.   These are futures bets for the entire league so every bet will get odds.

A normal game line will have the favorite represented with  -  and the number is what you’d have to bet in order to win $100.  A bet with + is the underdog that gets odds and would win that number if you bet a $100. 

Edited by Hongbit

On the other hand if he's the assistant HC here he might have a legit shot of becoming the OC here in Detroit when Johnson leaves?  Obviously lots and lots of variables... 

That almost never happens though. 

We went with ben johnson instead of Deuce. It almost never goes from Assistant HC to OC in the org.

If you put $10 on the lions you win 250