Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The ideal situation for me right now would be one where either Carter or Anderson somehow falls to #6 (in the same way Hutch fell to #2), and the Lions can do what it takes to get Bijan as well, trading up if needed (in the same way they did for Jamo)... Just as is plausible with the results last year, that is a world in which they could realistically land the best offensive and the best defensive player in the same draft.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Bijan won't make it past #6, but I will say I don't think he makes it past the Eagles at #10. I would entertain sending a 2nd round pick to the Panthers to move from 18 to 9.

Eagles have a lot of UFAs to sign. 30 sacks worth. And nine INTs and a starting center. I don't think they'll have the luxury of taking a RB when they already have 2k yards between Sanders and Hurts. 

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Miles Sanders is a free agent too. Could be an option for the Lions if they do not re-sign Williams. 

Oh you're right. And he didn't make a lot of money this season either.

In any event, I can't see Howie "build through the trenches" Roseman picking a RB with all those holes to fill on DL, not to mention secondary.

For that matter, I can't see Holmes picking an RB at 6, or 9. Maybe 18 but probably not. If Robinson slides on down into the late 1st I could see him trading back up.

7 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

They have Swift for one more year, might as well keep him and look for a replacement next year. 

My thoughts as well.  It’s probably the deepest position in football and the easiest to fill roster spaces.  If something falls in their lap via draft of FA then take a shot but they will have plenty of options next year.   

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Doesn't get enough credit for the turn around he did with Stafford. 

Another casualty of being around Matt Patricia.  He was fine with Caldwell and pretty darn good working with Lawrence  in Jax.   His only swan dive was having to work under The Slob.  

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Makes sense. The NFL likes non divisional matchups for these international games and this would be one of the more intriguing matchups. Also, St Brown is the only player I know of with any sort of connection to Germany. 

ASB is the new Hasselhoff

• Haha 1

On 2/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, Motown Bombers said:

Here's something to think about. Think only 3 firsts and a Pro Bowl QB get it done? 

Hell no... Look, y'all know that I'm still somewhat skeptical of Goff.  But there is no way I would do that trade.  No way at all.  That's a larger bounty than Russell Wilson got and I thought that was a way too much for a more prove guy (granted, since then Wilson has dropped off the edge, but at the time I think everyone would have considered him a more proven asset).

47 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Makes sense. The NFL likes non divisional matchups for these international games and this would be one of the more intriguing matchups. Also, St Brown is the only player I know of with any sort of connection to Germany. 

I hadn't thought of that angle... that could be a very nice little bonus having interviews with St. Brown in German... having him "come home" to visit his mom's birth city... good be some nice PR for the NFL there.

46 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The storylines, outside of the bizarre how Mahomes is underrated and the Chiefs are being disrespected, will be St Brown and his ties to Germany. St Brown will probably even do interviews in German. 

It would kinda be a 'can't lose' situation for the NFL... if the Lions are for real next year and either push the Chiefs or win the game... it's a great story of an up and coming team making a statement on the international stage.  If the Lions fall back to earth and end up getting steam rolled by the Chiefs, then it's a great story about how the top team and (arguably) the top QB in the league showcasing the best of the NFL on an international stage.

the storyline will be the chiefs and st brown speaking german.  the lions will not be a storyline.

the lions need to actually win something and be good for a while for foreigners who dont religiously follow the nfl to know who they are.

there will likely be more tom brady jerseys there than lions jerseys.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

the storyline will be the chiefs and st brown speaking german.  the lions will not be a storyline.

the lions need to actually win something and be good for a while for foreigners who dont religiously follow the nfl to know who they are.

there will likely be more tom brady jerseys there than lions jerseys.

The story is going to be Lions LB Tremaine Edmunds covering Travis Kelce.  

If we look at the Chiefs home schedule, and eliminate divisional opponents which don't happen often on these international games, the Lions look like the best matchup. The Chiefs host Buffalo, Cincinnati and Philadelphia which would be marquee matchups, but I think the NFL would rather save those for Sunday/Monday night or Thanksgiving. Their other two non divisional home games are Detroit and Chicago. The Detroit game would be a much better matchup and the Lions have the better St Brown. 

I think it's between Detroit and Chicago, the game is in November and by all accounts the Lions SHOULD be alot more competitive and have a better record than the Bears which is why folks seem to think it's going to be Detroit. Theoretically you would think the NFL would want to put out the most meaningful and competitive game possible and the Lions should be the better option to give you that. 

Edited by RandyMarsh