Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

why would anyone pay that kind of money for dj chark?  there are likely to be multiple receivers available who are better who will sign for less money than that.  plus jaymo will presumably be healthy.

if they want chark they can get him for less than that.  and i hope they will let him go if he wants more.

this reminds me of the jamal williams arguments.  he's a decent player but not a world beater.  he's replaceable.  same as chark.  save your money for the sewell and st brown extensions you have coming up.

37 minutes ago, buddha said:

why would anyone pay that kind of money for dj chark?  there are likely to be multiple receivers available who are better who will sign for less money than that.  plus jaymo will presumably be healthy.

if they want chark they can get him for less than that.  and i hope they will let him go if he wants more.

this reminds me of the jamal williams arguments.  he's a decent player but not a world beater.  he's replaceable.  same as chark.  save your money for the sewell and st brown extensions you have coming up.

He is big and fast. He was injured last year, so that killed his market. And this is a weaker year for wr, especially in the draft.

1 minute ago, Cruzer1 said:

He is big and fast. He was injured last year, so that killed his market. And this is a weaker year for wr, especially in the draft.

he was injured the year before too.

that should tell you something about dj chark next year.

i dont see it.  but you never know.  he has potential.

It was a $10 million prove-it deal. What did 30 catches for 500 yards prove? If it proved to the medical staff that he's fully healed from the ankle injury that's great, but I still don't want the franchise tag. WR is an expensive position, and ASB will be getting paid in 2024. Anything they do with Chark needs to be off the books by then. 

There's not a lot that Holmes & Co. could do to piss me off and make me say "what a stupid move".

Tagging an injury prone WR3 with a Spotrac of $9.5MM AAV after a 2022 season where he recorded 502 yards, playing in only 11 games (because, again, injury prone)... That would piss me off and make me say "what a stupid move".

I'm not even sure he needs to be replaced if he walks. A Mike Evans type is a bit of a luxury when you have your outside speed in Jamo and your sure-fire slot in ASB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I do think the Lions need to replace Chark. St Brown would be the only proven receiver on the team. I think they need that big physical outside prescence who can make contested catches. I like bringing back Chark because it finally seemed like Goff and Chark had developed a chemistry by the end of the year. 

They're not going to do it with a tag though.

Cruzer is way off base with that... like... in outer space.

We get an affordable contract with Chark, or Holmes moves on. It's that simple.

Either with a different FA that replicates Chark's ability... or a later round draft pick flyer that the FO likes.

IMO.

• Like 1

Picking up a topic from the Super Bowl game thread... The Lions defense as it stands today could surrender "just" 38 to the Chiefs or "just" 35 to the Eagles. Not to say the Lions defense couldn't get better. It can, should, and will this offseason. But offense wins championships in today's NFL. The Chiefs offense beat the Eagles offense.

Don't neglect the defense by any means, but go get yourself a Bijan Robinson, Quentin Johnston, or the next Pat Mahomes if you see him there. Go build yourself the best offensive line in the league. Do what it takes to just friggin' outscore the opponent.