Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Read the article.  Everything about it is wrong,  how they value Fields, the perceived market for Fields,  the Lions level of interest,  the lack of fit with the Lions and where they are now.   None of it makes sense.  

Fields is great for fantasy football managers and that’s it.  It’s way more than just need to improve throwing the ball.  He has shown very little ability to run an offense and make quality decisions and those are the main qualities of what has made the Lions offense successful.  

I wouldn’t trade just the 6 pick for Fields.  Shit, I may not trade just 56. He’s not a fit here.  

they talk about fields like he's lamar jackson here in chicago.

in fairness, he is a dynamic runner.  maybe the best athlete at qb in the league.  and this coaching staff was able to get some good stuff out of him.  moreover, he playes behind the worst offensive line and with the worst receiving corps in the league.  the bears truly are terrible.  with a decent line and decent receivers, fields should be better.

that said, he still seems to have problems getting the ball out quickly and diagnosing plays.  and i dont think he'll be able to play without getting injured if he keeps playing that style.

he'd be a great change of pace player on the lions, but not at the salary he's going to command soon.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

they talk about fields like he's lamar jackson here in chicago.

in fairness, he is a dynamic runner.  maybe the best athlete at qb in the league.  and this coaching staff was able to get some good stuff out of him.  moreover, he playes behind the worst offensive line and with the worst receiving corps in the league.  the bears truly are terrible.  with a decent line and decent receivers, fields should be better.

that said, he still seems to have problems getting the ball out quickly and diagnosing plays.  and i dont think he'll be able to play without getting injured if he keeps playing that style.

he'd be a great change of pace player on the lions, but not at the salary he's going to command soon.

There are too many maybes with him.   The only for sure is his athleticism and running ability and as you stated both are detrimental to a QB’s ability to stay healthy.    He would make a fantastic QB/WR/RB combo in the mode of a Hines Ward or Randel-El.   Odds are way in favor of him being more sizzle than substance as a QB and will most likely get hurt.  Great for Lions fans that the Bears are going all in on him.  

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here's a fun fact. If Goff played this year on the Bears he would hold the Bears single season record in passing yards, TDs and QB rating. 

That OL would’ve gotten Goff killed by Week 5. 

Edited by Hongbit

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

My Twitter feed has been overtaken by Bears people and it's insufferable how they view Fields. 

Here's a fun fact. If Goff played this year on the Bears he would hold the Bears single season record in passing yards, TDs and QB rating. 

No he wouldn't... because if Goff played this year on the Bears he wouldn't have nearly the same product he had with the Lions.

Just now, RedRamage said:

No he wouldn't... because if Goff played this year on the Bears he wouldn't have nearly the same product he had with the Lions.

Yeah he can't perform without McVay, oops I meant Dan Campbell or is it Ben Johnson? 

The point is how awful the Bears are. I shit you not their single season record holder in yards and TDs is Erik Kramer. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah he can't perform without McVay, oops I meant Dan Campbell or is it Ben Johnson? 

The point is how awful the Bears are. I shit you not their single season record holder in yards and TDs is Erik Kramer. 

I'm saying with how bad the Bears OL and WR core are his stats would have been significantly lower.  I'm not dumping on Goff, I'm dumping on the Bears offense.

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

I'm saying with how bad the Bears OL and WR core are his stats would have been significantly lower.  I'm not dumping on Goff, I'm dumping on the Bears offense.

He still would have been significantly better throwing the ball than Fields but the point was the Bears dubious history at QB and not about Goff. Jon Kitna would be 1 and 2 in Bears history in passing yards. 

32 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

What would scare me, and @buddha let me know your thoughts; is if the Bears realized that Fields would be a bigger weapon as a slash player, and they drafted Bryce Young to be their QB.

i would be extremely surprised if the bears were that creative.

they also have so many holes AND they traded the first pick in the second round for chase freaking claypool, which doesnt make me have a lot of confidence in their leadership.

they have 100 million in cap space and are likely to use it on darron payne and orlando brown.  that's a start, but they are so massively talent deficient and fields is going to get expensive in two years.

honestly, that's the biggest thing with their plans.  fields will be in year 3 next year and the team stinks.  they are going to lose the "rookie qb scale" advantage very soon.  if he becomes lamar jackson, its all good.  if he doesnt, they have to start over.  that's why a lot of people are advocating they take a qb number one this year and either ditch fields or make him a receiver/utility player.

like you said cruzer, that would be dangerous.  they wont do it.  its too radical.  they'll either trade down and/or take anderson or carter.

20 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

correct.  goff would be a sitting duck on the bears.  fields succeeded because he is the best running back in the league.  goff would have no one to throw to and no time to do it.

you cant just take goff's stats from this lions team and plunk them down on the bears.  goff would get killed on that team.  which is not a knock on goff, its a knock on the bears.

36 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There are too many maybes with him.   The only for sure is his athleticism and running ability and as you stated both are detrimental to a QB’s ability to stay healthy.    He would make a fantastic QB/WR/RB combo in the mode of a Hines Ward or Randel-El.   Odds are way in favor of him being more sizzle than substance as a QB and will most likely get hurt.  Great for Lions fans that the Bears are going all in on him.  

you also have to remember, these are the bears.  the only thing dumber than the bears are bears fans.

the organization finally got wise (75 years after it started) and is building a new stadium.  but the mccaskeys still own the team and make decisions on who picks the players, etc.

i, for one, cannot wait to bet money on the bears under win total next year.  just like this year, it will be too high because vegas knows bears fans are a special kind of stupid when it comes to their football team.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

you also have to remember, these are the bears.  the only thing dumber than the bears are bears fans.

the organization finally got wise (75 years after it started) and is building a new stadium.  but the mccaskeys still own the team and make decisions on who picks the players, etc.

i, for one, cannot wait to bet money on the bears under win total next year.  just like this year, it will be too high because vegas knows bears fans are a special kind of stupid when it comes to their football team.

Bears fans live in a fantasy world.  They are pretty much the same pathetic franchise as the Lions except the Bears have had 2 great seasons in the last 65 years and the Lions none.  

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

At least this time they bought the land, and it makes more sense than the rumors in the '90s about moving to Gary (somewhere near the airport). I always thought Arlington Heights racetrack would have made a perfect spot. 
I've seen fans complaining about traffic issues, can't be much worse than Soldier Field and having to park at Grant Park. There is also Metra service nearby. Work out a deal for more trains on game day.

The last decent coach the Bears had was Jauron pandemic they ran him out of town

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

What would scare me, and @buddha let me know your thoughts; is if the Bears realized that Fields would be a bigger weapon as a slash player, and they drafted Bryce Young to be their QB.

Maybe that would work on the drawing board, but does anyone think that Fields and his agent would accept the Taysom Hill role with a new contract coming up? This plan would blow up before the end of draft weekend. 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Bears fans live in a fantasy world.  They are pretty much the same pathetic franchise as the Lions except the Bears have had 2 great seasons in the last 65 years and the Lions none.  

i hate the bears with a passion, but they did have a very dominant stretch in the 1980s.

every team in the nfc north has had a dominant stretch in the super bowl era except for one...

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

i hate the bears with a passion, but they did have a very dominant stretch in the 1980s.

every team in the nfc north has had a dominant stretch in the super bowl era except for one...

They had one amazing team in 85 and arguably one of the most disappointing in 86.   Granted they did get fucked by Charles Martin.

Can you imagine if this happened today and caused someone like Mahomes to be out for the season.   Cant forget the best part, Martin had the numbers of Bears players on his hit list on his towel.    Straight savage.    He got 2 a game suspension.    He’d be banned forever if that happened now.  
B3FD859F-C996-4B6B-A6D0-05D64AD9355C.jpeg.8679ac404e0038969ff30ee995bb72bd.jpeg

• Haha 1