Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I'm as bullish on the Lions future as anybody but the Eagles likely would have dismantled them as well.  I wouldn't have liked their chances against the Niners with a healthy QB either but the Eagles in particular are just a bad matchup for a very young defense. Speed at all levels, elite running QB, veteran offensive line. It would have probably gotten ugly at least defensively against those guys.

I would agree that the division is there to be had next season but I don't think the Lions are ready to compete with the big boys yet. I also don't think Holmes will make any clear cut win now moves to mortgage the future.

Sheila gave Holmes/Campbell a long, long term deal for a reason. These guys are builders and I think they will continue to build through the draft. Of course, the Lions are ahead of the original timeline but I don't think that will change their course of action. For instance, I don't see them making a move for Ramsey or a big splurge in free agency.

I guess the question is who you consider the big boys to be. For me right now in the NFC it's the Eagles and maybe the Niners if they can find a QB. I don't think there is another team in the NFC who I look at and see a perennial power in the making.

And if you're at the point where you can realistically be the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conference with the right moves, you should damn well try to make those right moves. At that point you're on the fast track to be hosting a playoff game - to be favored in a playoff game - to be one or two wins (one or two opponent's mistakes or injuries) from the Super Bowl.

Philly looks like they are in cap hell after this super bowl run. They have over 27M in dead cap and are only 2M under right now. And that is with Hargrave, Bradberry, Kelce, and Brandon Graham unsigned for next year. Plus Hurts will be a FA after this year and may want a contract done this offseason.

That is what happens when you manipulate the salary cap numbers and push contracts out, eventually it comes due.

6 hours ago, buddha said:

not reading that.

Here's the proposed trade:image.png.f579b3d47a5063563582d0798402e41e.png

Now, looking JUST at the trade... nothing else... not looking at if the Bears would do it would the Lions actually be interested in Field as their QB... looking at just the assets being traded... it's intriguing.  I was expecting some weird way over the top trade but this is "reasonable"  I think for the Fields.

If I was a team in a need for a QB and I felt that Fields would improve as a passer with a better team around him, I would probably be willing to spend that draft capital on him. BUT I'm not sure I believe that Fields will be a better passer and I don't believe that QB is a need for the Lions right now.

10 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Now, looking JUST at the trade... nothing else... not looking at if the Bears would do it would the Lions actually be interested in Field as their QB... looking at just the assets being traded... it's intriguing.  I was expecting some weird way over the top trade but this is "reasonable"  I think for the Fields.

If I was a team in a need for a QB and I felt that Fields would improve as a passer with a better team around him, I would probably be willing to spend that draft capital on him. BUT I'm not sure I believe that Fields will be a better passer and I don't believe that QB is a need for the Lions right now.

the bears SHOULD do that, but wont.

the lions shouldnt do that, and wont.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

the bears SHOULD do that, but wont.

the lions shouldnt do that, and wont.

For the record, I agree with you on the last part for the reason stated.  But, purely as hypothetical thought experiment...  what if:

1.) Jared Goff announces his surprise retirement.
2.) Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell and the rest of the coach staff come up to you (playing the role of Brad Holmes) and say: "We know what's stopping Fields from being a better passer and we can, at the very least, make him a league average passer in 2023."

Now... assuming that the coaching staff is telling the truth... do you do it?  I mean in our silly scenario you're probably going to spend one of your first round pick on a QB anyway.

Just now, RedRamage said:

For the record, I agree with you on the last part for the reason stated.  But, purely as hypothetical thought experiment...  what if:

1.) Jared Goff announces his surprise retirement.
2.) Ben Johnson, Dan Campbell and the rest of the coach staff come up to you (playing the role of Brad Holmes) and say: "We know what's stopping Fields from being a better passer and we can, at the very least, make him a league average passer in 2023."

Now... assuming that the coaching staff is telling the truth... do you do it?  I mean in our silly scenario you're probably going to spend one of your first round pick on a QB anyway.

i'd keep 6 and draft a qb.

fields is due to get paid in 2 years.  gimme the qb on the rookie deal and i'll build the roster around him.

besides, im sure tom brady would reconsider his retirement talk if he knew the lions job was open.

44 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Read the article.  Everything about it is wrong,  how they value Fields, the perceived market for Fields,  the Lions level of interest,  the lack of fit with the Lions and where they are now.   None of it makes sense.  

Fields is great for fantasy football managers and that’s it.  It’s way more than just need to improve throwing the ball.  He has shown very little ability to run an offense and make quality decisions and those are the main qualities of what has made the Lions offense successful.  

I wouldn’t trade just the 6 pick for Fields.  Shit, I may not trade just 56. He’s not a fit here.  

Edited by Hongbit