Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

a healthy Vaitai seems to be a better guard than Evan Brown, but Brown is more versatile, and Ragnow has consistently missed some games. I would pick Brown over Vaitai, but maybe that is not the right question. Is the assumption they won't bring back both?

Browns value is as a versatile back up, you don't really want him as your starting right guard.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 12:53 PM, MichiganCardinal said:

The more I digest last night’s Eagles-49ers game, the more I want this Lions team to be all-in this offseason.

I’m not advocating for mortgaging the future by any means and “selling the farm”, but I don’t think there is a need for patience or development of a rebuilding plan anymore. Go sign some free agents, draft some instant play-makers and make a run. The NFC on the whole is simply beatable.

Don’t wait for the Cowboys, Giants, Vikings, Panthers, or Seahawks to claim that spot as the NFC power alongside the Eagles and Niners (who are both themselves beatable). The NFC is up for grabs, go friggin take it.

I'm as bullish on the Lions future as anybody but the Eagles likely would have dismantled them as well.  I wouldn't have liked their chances against the Niners with a healthy QB either but the Eagles in particular are just a bad matchup for a very young defense. Speed at all levels, elite running QB, veteran offensive line. It would have probably gotten ugly at least defensively against those guys.

I would agree that the division is there to be had next season but I don't think the Lions are ready to compete with the big boys yet. I also don't think Holmes will make any clear cut win now moves to mortgage the future.

Sheila gave Holmes/Campbell a long, long term deal for a reason. These guys are builders and I think they will continue to build through the draft. Of course, the Lions are ahead of the original timeline but I don't think that will change their course of action. For instance, I don't see them making a move for Ramsey or a big splurge in free agency.

They have lots of high picks to fill out the roster and I see Holmes using a lot of the cap space to re-sign his own guys so while I don't think he'll be absent in free agency, I think it'll be more short term deals like he's done the last few offseasons on guys that will be hungry to prove doubters wrong. Plus, Holmes seems to find these guys off the scrap heap pretty regularly to fill big roles (Cominsky, Buggs, Eliot, Raymond etc.) so I see more of those types of guys.

Edited by NYLion

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I'm as bullish on the Lions future as anybody but the Eagles likely would have dismantled them as well.  I wouldn't have liked their chances against the Niners with a healthy QB either but the Eagles in particular are just a bad matchup for a very young defense. Speed at all levels, elite running QB, veteran offensive line. It would have probably gotten ugly at least defensively against those guys.

I would agree that the division is there to be had next season but I don't think the Lions are ready to compete with the big boys yet. I also don't think Holmes will make any clear cut win now moves to mortgage the future.

Sheila gave Holmes/Campbell a long, long term deal for a reason. These guys are builders and I think they will continue to build through the draft. Of course, the Lions are ahead of the original timeline but I don't think that will change their course of action. For instance, I don't see them making a move for Ramsey or a big splurge in free agency.

They have lots of high picks to fill out the roster and I see Holmes using a lot of the cap space to re-sign his own guys so while I don't think he'll be absent in free agency, I think it'll be more short term deals like he's done the last few offseasons on guys that will be hungry to prove doubters wrong. Plus, Holmes seems to find these guys off the scrap heap pretty regularly to fill big roles (Cominsky, Buggs, Eliot, Raymond etc.) so I see more of those types of guys.

i think youre right about the eagles/niners.  both of them likely run over the lions like the panthers did.  

i think the lions will try to make a move for a corner this year in free agency (and the draft).  that's the one area where they are really talent deficient.  okudah got benched at the end of the year and, quite honestly, played his best football as a safety in the box (against dallas) rather than as a corner.  yeah yeah vikings game against jefferson, but that was mostly double coverage.  okudah was beaten a lot this year, iirc.  and was subsequently benched.

if i had to guess, i bet they dont pick up his 5th year option.  they'll need a few corners in the next few years and they cant all come through the draft.

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think youre right about the eagles/niners.  both of them likely run over the lions like the panthers did.  

i think the lions will try to make a move for a corner this year in free agency (and the draft).  that's the one area where they are really talent deficient.  okudah got benched at the end of the year and, quite honestly, played his best football as a safety in the box (against dallas) rather than as a corner.  yeah yeah vikings game against jefferson, but that was mostly double coverage.  okudah was beaten a lot this year, iirc.  and was subsequently benched.

if i had to guess, i bet they dont pick up his 5th year option.  they'll need a few corners in the next few years and they cant all come through the draft.

I believe the injury was more of a factor in Okudah's play than anything.

people cherry pick games and stats for their own convenience depending upon what point theyre trying to make.  

the lions played a really tough schedule to start the year and went 1-6.  they played a much easier schedule in the second half and went 8-2.  they also had a fair degree of good fortune this year and goff was healthy all year long.

theyre on the right track for sure, but theyre not as good as the eagles or niners this year.  i dont think they were as good as the cowboys either.  the lions are not an elite team.  they were; however, as good as the rest of the bad nfc last year.  probably the best of the rest.

and that is really saying something considering the depths from whence they came.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

people cherry pick games and stats for their own convenience depending upon what point theyre trying to make.  

the lions played a really tough schedule to start the year and went 1-6.  they played a much easier schedule in the second half and went 8-2.  they also had a fair degree of good fortune this year and goff was healthy all year long.

theyre on the right track for sure, but theyre not as good as the eagles or niners this year.  i dont think they were as good as the cowboys either.  the lions are not an elite team.  they were; however, as good as the rest of the bad nfc last year.  probably the best of the rest.

and that is really saying something considering the depths from whence they came.

And so the debate goes on of what do they need to become an elite team on the level of the 49'ers and Eagles and can they do it with Goff at QB. I'd say they absolutely can give that the 49'ers managed to be very good this year trotting out 3 different starting QBs.

Just now, buddha said:

You literally cherry picked the Carolina game. 

Playing Chicago twice during the 8-2 run really affected the quality of the teams they played. Removing Chicago, they were 6-2 against teams with a 53% winning percentage. Since Buddha doesn't like cherrypicking, which he curiously did, the Lions had the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL and finished with a winning record and a positive point differential. 

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Playing Chicago twice during the 8-2 run really affected the quality of the teams they played. Removing Chicago, they were 6-2 against teams with a 53% winning percentage. Since Buddha doesn't like cherrypicking, which he curiously did, the Lions had the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL and finished with a winning record and a positive point differential. 

did i say i "didnt like cherry picking"?

The Lions are as good as anybody on offense.

On defense they have multiple needs, and need a difference maker IMO. Like a Chris Jones, Jalen Ramsey, etc. While I also think they will probably not make a big splash in free agency or trade, you can make a case that if they did and then  hit on a few day 1 and day 2 picks they could have a top defense as well.

Edited by Stanley70

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

yes, as i wrote, people cherry pick games and stats to support the point theyre trying to make.

i do it.  so do you 

Just making sure we are clear you are a cherrypicker since you said people which would infer everyone else. Glad you admitted you cherrypicked the Carolina game for your own convenience to prove the point you were trying to make. Weird how you didn't mention anything about cherrypicking when you cherrypicked a game. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Just making sure we are clear you are a cherrypicker since you said people which would infer everyone else. Glad you admitted you cherrypicked the Carolina game for your own convenience to prove the point you were trying to make. Weird how you didn't mention anything about cherrypicking when you cherrypicked a game. 

ok.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

I'd be shocked if they don't pick up Okudah's option. 

55 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's funny how the Lions run defense had been pretty stout for about 10 games but everyone acts like they are more like the defense that played Carolina vs the one that was really good over an extended period of time. 

The Lions hadn't handled a running QB all season, don't see why that would have changed against the top rushing attack in the league with weapons all over the map. The Lions obviously made big strides but asking for them to compete with Philly in Philly in a playoff game is too much too soon IMO.

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

I'd be shocked if they don't pick up Okudah's option. 

make him earn it.  if he does and you cant re-sign him, you can always franchise him.

he also might be a better safety than corner.  that could be in the works too.

melifonwu isnt working out so far at corner or safety, so it looks like they'll need to replace him too.

Just now, NYLion said:

The Lions hadn't handled a running QB all season, don't see why that would have changed against the top rushing attack in the league with weapons all over the map. The Lions obviously made big strides but asking for them to compete with Philly in Philly in a playoff game is too much too soon IMO.

They struggled against mobile QBs but the post was they would run over them like Carolina did which Carolina did it via RB which didn't happen often and the 49ers don't have a mobile QB. 

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

make him earn it.  if he does and you cant re-sign him, you can always franchise him.

he also might be a better safety than corner.  that could be in the works too.

melifonwu isnt working out so far at corner or safety, so it looks like they'll need to replace him too.

Iffy just needs to be healthy, he showed some decent flashes towards the end of the season at a new position so I wouldn't give up on him quite yet. 

I think the secondary will have the most flux. The NFL is weird in that the draft comes AFTER free agency so what they do in free agency should set the table for what they do in the draft. I think they need to sign at least one capable vet at corner/safety because they're likely to have an overflow of young corners if they draft one or two like most people think they will, then the question willl they re-sign Elliot, Harris, Hughes. Then you have Okudah, Jacobs, Iffy, Lucas and draft picks. Not to mention Walker's status playing into the equation. Could see a lot of turnover there.