Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

I would trade for him AFTER this draft. I don't know if the Rams could pull their trade of Ramsey (if they go that route) this draft (probably)... and I think they'll be able to pull at least a 1st rounder out of him...

But I would love to run this draft, and THEN trade for him, so that the draft capital going their way starts in 2024, instead of 2023... Just my 2 cents.

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hearing that the NFL is considering making neutral conference championship sites the norm. That would be the Lions luck, they finally get good enough to where they can host a conference championship only for the NFL to do away with it.

This has come up before and there has never been enough ownership support to make it happen or even put it to a vote. I’m sure some NFL leaders are hoping to see Bills/Chiefs in Atlanta as a test run.

I think it’s a really dumb idea. While I’m sure they would do something where AFC stadiums host the NFCCG and NFC hosts the AFCCG, it would be a huge disadvantage to outdoor stadium and cold weather teams, who would rarely if ever be chosen to host or have a close championship game. We would see the same rotation of stadiums as we see for the Super Bowl and CFP... Atlanta, Miami, Glendale, New Orleans, LA, Dallas, wash-rinse-repeat. Maybe a new dome stadium once a decade.

It also disincentivizes good teams winning late regular season games, where clinching home field advantage doesn’t mean nearly as much. Imagine a (1) Lions v. (3) Cowboys Conference Championship, played in Houston. Totally where this would go.

Even if you follow the money (ultimately what will decide this either way), I’m sure those warm weather stadiums would have no problem making more money, but it’s reallocation of money that other teams would make (who frankly earned it) not “new” money being generated like when they started moving the Draft around.

Ultimately, for a combination of these reasons (but mostly money), I don’t think 24 team owners would approve this anytime soon.

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I would trade for him AFTER this draft. I don't know if the Rams could pull their trade of Ramsey (if they go that route) this draft (probably)... and I think they'll be able to pull at least a 1st rounder out of him...

But I would love to run this draft, and THEN trade for him, so that the draft capital going their way starts in 2024, instead of 2023... Just my 2 cents.

well, im sure YOU would love to trade for ramsey after the draft but the rams might not! 

and the lions have two firsts and seconds this year.  if they want to deal for a star like ramsey, this js the year to do it.

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think the Rams can get a late 1st for Ramsey. They aren't saving a lot of cap space so it's not like there is motivation there to move him. It would only be if Ramsey wants out and is becoming a locker room issue in which case you may want to be cautious. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

... the lions have two 1sts and 2nds this year.  if they want to deal for a star like ramsey, this is the year to do it.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would think hard about trading the 18th pick for Ramsey. You still have the 6th pick to draft an impact defensive player and two 2nd round picks to add to the defense. The Lions are right there on the cusp of winning the division. 

On this basis, I'm not interested in Ramsey. And I am back to Plan A in obtaining a vet CB...

Sign Jamel Dean as a FA from Tampa.

Brady will be gone. The team is on the downslide and the Lions are on the upswing.

Spend the money and sign/ lure Dean to lead the Lions very young CB room.

Use one 1st rounder this year to choose the CB they like the best.

I'm done.

I have no idea how it will work from a salary cap perspective but without knowing how his contract would effect us I would gladly trade the 18th pick for Ramsey. Ramsey is at the very least top 3 at his position and perhaps the very best, he is one of those rare game changers on defense. He turned 28 in the end of October so he's not exactly young for his position but he's not old either, should have 3-4 more years of prime football left and if he ages like Darius Slay could be longer than that. The odds of us getting that type of return with the 18th pick is pretty small even if you take into account Holmes' drafting ability. 

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't love losing the "college scouting director", but if he's been with us since 2007, he isn't really one of Holmes' guys.

Also...

"Scouting Director" sounds a whole lot more like hiring, firing, training, and scheduling/ coordinating rather than actual the  scouting and scouting reports...

Or...

Rather...

Expendable.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Brad Holmes was director of college scouting for the Rams. This guy dates back to the Millen era. I figured everyone from the Millen era was gone. 

I believe Director of Player Personnel Lance Newmark has been with the organization dating back to the Bobby Ross days. 25 years or so.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:10 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I have no idea how it will work from a salary cap perspective but without knowing how his contract would effect us I would gladly trade the 18th pick for Ramsey. Ramsey is at the very least top 3 at his position and perhaps the very best, he is one of those rare game changers on defense. He turned 28 in the end of October so he's not exactly young for his position but he's not old either, should have 3-4 more years of prime football left and if he ages like Darius Slay could be longer than that. The odds of us getting that type of return with the 18th pick is pretty small even if you take into account Holmes' drafting ability. 

My only concern is how he would fit into the locker room. Is he a malcontent?