Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Genuinely surprised

WOW. This is huge! Thanks for the post, had not seen this.

On one hand, excellent job by the agent, this is very likely what he intended to do the entire time. He may have felt he was unlikely to get a job this cycle (for the reasons many of us have pointed out) and thought the best way to increase interest next year is to be a wanted commodity that couldn't be had before.

The fact that he didn't even interview though... that's really impressive. He has to be very confident that this offense can run it back.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I look at Byron Leftwhich who turned down Jacksonville last year and is now fired as OC and no one is interviewing him for head coaching positions. Really surprised. 

Jacksonville is one thing. Working with Baalke turns off a lot of people. But turning down multiple teams with multiple interview requests?? That's crazy. Crazy!

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Jacksonville is one thing. Working with Baalke turns off a lot of people. But turning down multiple teams with multiple interview requests?? That's crazy. Crazy!

It's more to the point that this opportunity may not come again.

It's really wild as Lions fans that the Lions had one of the hottest coordinator coaching candidate and that candidate apparently liked the Lions so much he decided to stay with the team. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's really wild as Lions fans that the Lions had one of the hottest coordinator coaching candidate and that candidate apparently liked the Lions so much he decided to stay with the team. 

I agree on both counts. I was more saying that declining an interview/job with the Texans would be one thing if you feel like you couldn't succeed, but he is turning down the Colts and Panthers too, who are (at least generally) not toxic franchises.

This feels weird.

For selfish reasons I'm certainly glad Johnson is back but for his own sake I hope this ends up not biting him in the butt cause head coaching jobs aren't easy to get and when you're in line for one you probably should take it unless of course that isn't your end goal. I'm sure there are some coordinators/coaches out there that may not have the desire to be the Captain and are content just being 2nd in command and maybe Johnson is one of those.

BTW I don't know why I didn't realize this until just hearing it on the radio but I never realized that Johnson was originally a Patricia hire in 2019 and Campbell kept him aboard when he took over. For some reason I just assumed he came with DC, so I guess Patricia did do something right for the organization. 

Great great news!  Super stoked.   

It does seem a bit dumb for him to not interview in person.   The experience of can only help him in the future when he’s up for HC jobs that he wants.   I wonder if Sheila stepped up and gave him a big pay bump.  That would seem likely and maybe this was his way of thanking her.

Sheila is quickly stacking up some wins.   She deserves a ton of credit for this success.  Every card she’s flipped since flushing Quintricia has been aces. 

Sure, it’s a miniature bar but she’s already become the best owner in town. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

For selfish reasons I'm certainly glad Johnson is back but for his own sake I hope this ends up not biting him in the butt cause head coaching jobs aren't easy to get and when you're in line for one you probably should take it unless of course that isn't your end goal. I'm sure there are some coordinators/coaches out there that may not have the desire to be the Captain and are content just being 2nd in command and maybe Johnson is one of those.

BTW I don't know why I didn't realize this until just hearing it on the radio but I never realized that Johnson was originally a Patricia hire in 2019 and Campbell kept him aboard when he took over. For some reason I just assumed he came with DC, so I guess Patricia did do something right for the organization. 

Ben Johnson was on Campbell's staff in Miami so there was a history. This is another reason why I like the regime. Patricia sucked but they didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. They identified that there were good coaches on his staff, primarily Ben Johnson and Hank Fraley, and kept them around. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is my thoughts on the matter... I mean I really feel like the Lions are headed in the right direction... I hope that everything proceeds positively and that Johnson is even a hotter commodity next year, but there's a non-zero chance that things regress next year... heck maybe a few key injuries and the offense collapses.  Nothing Johnson does wrong and yet his stock could drop like a rock.

I suppose he's better on himself for a better job in the future or he feels he's learning something from Campbell... I dunno.  Whatever the reason I'm happy we've got him for another year at least.

Have we ended up in some parallel universe where all of the surprising Lions news is good?

I’m thrilled that he is staying but the skeptic in me assumes his agent got word that he was behind a lot of other guys. The Charlotte Observer reports that the Panthers have interviewed or requested to interview their interim coach Steve Wilks along with Sean Payton, Mike Kafka, Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, Kellen Moore, Ken Dorsey, and Jim Caldwell. 

I’m sure there is a lot of truth to what he said about the direction of the franchise but there are also a lot of equally hot candidates out there and a few wild cards. If he can put one more year of production on his resume — with Jaymo at 100% — his star will continue to rise. 

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jerrod Mayo also spurned the Panthers so maybe there is something about the ownership there. Johnson also took himself out of the running in Houston and Indianapolis. 

I thought Mayo was working on a deal that would make him heir-apparent in NE. 

Anyway there are a lot of offensive wizards out there. Yes Johnson is hot, but so are OCs of a bunch of teams still alive in the playoffs.