Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

PFF has an article suggesting the Lions trade 18 and a 4th next year to Cincinnati for Tee Higgins.    Interesting to ponder.  He’d also require a pretty nice extension.  18 is the same pick Philly traded last year for AJ Brown. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-trades-2023-nfl-offseason-free-agency-draft

I am against this. Need to use draft picks, especially for the defense. I would rather sign Chark.

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

PFF has an article suggesting the Lions trade 18 and a 4th next year to Cincinnati for Tee Higgins.    Interesting to ponder.  He’d also require a pretty nice extension.  18 is the same pick Philly traded last year for AJ Brown. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-trades-2023-nfl-offseason-free-agency-draft

no thanks.  they'll need that money for st brown.

doesnt seem like a holmes move.  seems like he wants to reward his guys.

It's looking like Detroit will not be big players in free agency, or resigning Chark. Even if they cut most of the guys on the bubble like Okwara and Harris that will only leave them with enough to resign a couple of their own free agents, plus maybe a couple of mid tier guys.

Holmes could surprise but I doubt they get the CB1 in free agency this year.

Lions have plenty of cap space. Brockers is gone. Cutting Okwara and Harris would create $11 million. Cutting Vaitai would create nearly $6 million and we haven't even gotten to a Goff restructure which could create another $12 million. These moves without a Goff restructure would give the Lions about $41 million in cap space. Add a Goff restructure and you're looking at $53 million. Ragnow is another restructure candidate. Can create $8 million in space. The salary cap isn't going to stop the Lions from signing who they want. Even if they had the cap space of the Bears, I don't think they would be signing a ton of players. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:21 PM, Jason_R said:

Yes Campbell loves Bijan, says his sources have him as one of the few blue chip players in the draft and as one of the best RB prospects in a decade. 

Also, yes, the defense was terrible last season and needs improvement. They improved to average after AP left but still need top end talent at CB (which I think they can get at 18) and depth in the secondary (which they can get later in the draft). 

They also need more talent on the interior defensive line but I don’t see Carter falling to them or a trade up at 6. This is why I wouldn’t be surprised if they went for Skoronski who could play at guard now and tackle later. I doubt they will pick Bijan but if he’s there at 18 and they did it I wouldn’t be upset  

Could they move back to 9, pick up another second, then package it to move up late into the first to get Bijan? A guy can dream  

This guy has Skoronski as the #4 talent in the draft and Bijan at #5. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/23/2023-nfl-draft-top-100-big-board-prospects-rankings 

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

It's looking like Detroit will not be big players in free agency, or resigning Chark. Even if they cut most of the guys on the bubble like Okwara and Harris that will only leave them with enough to resign a couple of their own free agents, plus maybe a couple of mid tier guys.

Holmes could surprise but I doubt they get the CB1 in free agency this year.

This isn't based in fact at all

40 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

As described above, the money is there for them to resign the guys they want and either take a shot a one marquee FA like a Payne or Dean,  2 mid tier, or a bunch of cheap fillers. 

i would be really really surprised if they spend the money it takes to get payne.  he's either getting franchised or going to chicago.  most likely getting franchised.

4 hours ago, KL2 said:

This isn't based in fact at all

Spotrac has us at 16M right now. If we cut Brockers (10M) and Vitai (6M) that gets us to 32M. If we cut both Harris (4M) and Okwara (7M) that gets us to 42M. Best case without restructures. It is not a given that both Romeo and Harris will be cut, probably unlikely. So it could be less that.

I am guessing that they are going to resign Cominsky and and Williams at 4M a year each. So that leaves 34M. Plus they usually have 8-10M leftover for emergencies, so that gets us to 26M.

On offense they will need to add a a starter at OG. They only have one TE under contract in Mitchell, so they need at least 1. They need a swing tackle and depth on the interior. Plus a back up QB.

On defense they only have Levi and McNeil under contract at DT, probably need at least 2 there. At LB they only have Barnes and Rodrigo, probably need 2 there. They need at least 2 CB's that are playable and a safety since Walker is out.

Obviously they will fill some of those needs in the draft but if they eat up 15M a year on Dean or Bradbury they will only have about 11M leftover to fill all of the rest of the needs. 

They could do a big restructure with Goff or Ragnow pushing some money out to future years. Or backload a contract with more guarenteed money due later in the deal.

We'll see but in order to make it work with a big time FA they are going to have to push guarenteed money out a few years when Sewell and ARSB will be due contracts and Goff as well.

I don’t think the right attitude is to completely ignore the salary cap, because that’s how you turn into the 2022 Saints.

At the same time, good teams don’t let the cap get in the way of their signing free agents and re-signing the players they want to. It seems to be a bit of a dance with restructuring other deals to make things work. Make smart deals, don’t overpay, but don’t be afraid of making the right moves either.

IF we did trade for Tee Higgins he's going to want #1 Receiver money and at least 4 years, no? I would guess something like 4 years $70 million with $55-$60 million guaranteed. Too low, too high for Higgins?

We would instantly have the best receiving corps in the league assuming Williams hits his potential and Higgins is as good as advertised without Burrow as his QB. I'd be lying if I said there wasn't some appeal to a Higgins/St.Brown/Williams wideout group. Given that we're playing in an NFC that's got teams that are weak on offense and given that we are a dome team, we could really run up the score with a set of offensive weapons like those three. Who could opposing defenses double cover? What offenses in the NFC sans the Eagles could keep up with us in a first to 30-35 track meet type of a game?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad