Detroit Lions Offseason Thread 2023

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It always amazes me the memory athletes have to remember specific plays and what they were thinking long after they happen.  Like I can see major moments but it can just be a random play from a random game and if you refresh their memory enough they'll remember it. 

I suppose as an avid golfer I kinda get it,  I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday but if you ask me about a specific shot from months or in some cases years prior I can remember exactly what club I was hitting. 

Montgomery has offensive coordinator experience at the college level and is being interviewed to be an offensive coordinator. All offensive coordinators were position coaches or something similar before becoming coordinators. I don't see any reason why Montgomery wouldn't be next in line for Lions offensive coordinator. It's really a question of whether he thinks the Tampa job is a good one and I don't think it is. I also suspect they are interviewing him just to satisy the Rooney rule. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It always amazes me the memory athletes have to remember specific plays and what they were thinking long after they happen.  Like I can see major moments but it can just be a random play from a random game and if you refresh their memory enough they'll remember it. 

I suppose as an avid golfer I kinda get it,  I couldn't tell you what I had for lunch yesterday but if you ask me about a specific shot from months or in some cases years prior I can remember exactly what club I was hitting. 

I like Alexander's response. Goff is like yeah you were playing underneath baiting me to throw and Alexander is like yeah yeah that's what i was doing. I wasn't beat. 

To my knowledge, the minority hire resolution was designed only for head coaches and GMs, but my reading of it, specifically (ii)(b), doesn't make that super clear. It seems to indicate that we should get comp'd for Staley maintaining the same position. I think it's just a poorly written resolution and is only meant to apply to head coaches and front office execs, but Holmes and Sheila should try to get us some more picks!

2020 RESOLUTION JC-2A

Whereas, the member clubs believe that policies designed to promote equal employment opportunity and a diverse and inclusive workforce advance significant league interests, including improved decision making, enhanced business performance, and representing the NFL as an employer of choice that hires and promotes based on merit; and

Whereas, the member clubs have adopted policies extending over several decades in furtherance of these goals, including policies designed to permit upward mobility and advancement of club employees, particularly those in coaching and football operations roles; and

Whereas, the member clubs believe that it is appropriate to take additional steps to enhance opportunities for employment and advancement of minorities and women in key positions, including leadership roles in coaching, personnel, and football operations,

Be it Resolved, that the League Policy on Equal Employment and Workplace Diversity will be amended as follows:

(i) The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

Submitted by Workplace Diversity Committee

Effect: Establishes a system that rewards clubs for developing minority employees who move to the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach with other clubs.

Reason: Supports development opportunities for minority employees to advance goals of diversity, equity and inclusion.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

To my knowledge, the minority hire resolution was designed only for head coaches and GMs, but my reading of it, specifically (ii)(b), doesn't make that super clear. It seems to indicate that we should get comp'd for Staley maintaining the same position. I think it's just a poorly written resolution and is only meant to apply to head coaches and front office execs, but Holmes and Sheila should try to get us some more picks!

Doesn't the rule you linked literally say hire as "head coach or primary decision maker (GM)?"

Just now, KL2 said:

Doesn't the rule you linked literally say hire as "head coach or primary decision maker (GM)?"

Yes, but when you read the qualification in isolation, that's where I get a little confused.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:
a. The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
b. The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Yes, but when you read the qualification in isolation, that's where I get a little confused.

(ii) The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:

The bolded looks like we get some compensation.

7 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The bolded looks like we get some compensation.

Good to see I’m not going crazy. We must be reading this wrong, because regional media would have been all over it you would think, or this wouldn’t have been the first time someone received compensation for it. I just can’t figure out what it means if not this.

Yeah, the bolded part is super confusing.  I don't know exactly what's going on there.  I think part II is trying to set limits on the original team getting compensation.    Part (ii)a certain seems like it's a limit: The original club has to have employed the person for two full season. And the later half of part (ii)b is a limit: There can be no break in employment between clubs. So a team can't say: "5 years ago this guy was our receivers coach for two year until he went to the other club as the OC and now a third club hired him as HC so we get compensation."

But the first part of (ii)b is super confusing: The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club.

This big thing here is what does "same position" mean?  I suspect that it's a reference Head Coach or Primary Football Executive.  As in:

"The guy can't be the team current HC or GM and needs to be hired by the next team to one of those same positions we just mentioned."

This makes the most sense as everything else in both parts if very specifically talking about HC or GM. Additionally, there is no talk about what compensation a team would get for a lateral move of a coach/executive and I can't imagine they intend to give the same compensation for a lateral move like Duce as for a team hiring a minority HC or GM.

• Like 1

I take it as being a lateral move with the HC or GM. Take Brad Holmes for example. Holmes being the minority employee and the executive of the employer club (Lions) decides to leave the Lions for say the Titans and is hired into the same position. The spirit of he rule is to promote minority candidates so Ray Agnew accepting the Titans GM position would warrant compensation. Another example would be if say Pittsburgh allows Tomlin to seek a different head coaching position and he accepts a job from Denver. That was a lateral move so no compensation. That's how I interpret it. I'm not sure there is an example of a minority head coach leaving one position for the same position with another team. I also do think this would apply to Staley only if he were given a head coaching job. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I take it as being a lateral move with the HC or GM. Take Brad Holmes for example. Holmes being the minority employee and the executive of the employer club (Lions) decides to leave the Lions for say the Titans and is hired into the same position. The spirit of he rule is to promote minority candidates so Ray Agnew accepting the Titans GM position would warrant compensation. Another example would be if say Pittsburgh allows Tomlin to seek a different head coaching position and he accepts a job from Denver. That was a lateral move so no compensation. That's how I interpret it. I'm not sure there is an example of a minority head coach leaving one position for the same position with another team. I also do think this would apply to Staley only if he were given a head coaching job. 

That makes sense.  Still seems like it's worded weirdly, but yeah... it makes sense.  So, now: If a minority coach gets hired as a primary executive, is that compensated for?  Or if a primary executive gets hired as a HC?

21 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Saw an off-season power rankings this morning that put the Lions at #4, behind only the Bengals, Bills, and Chiefs. I don’t think that’s crazy if they can pick back up where they left off. FWIW, Vikings were at 11, Packers at 19, and Bears at 28.

We know Walter Football is your guilty pleasure. 😂

He was high on Detroit at the start of last season as well. He would have been seen as prophetic if not for a few injuries or last second FGs that prevented what would have been one of the NFL’s best Cinderella stories in years. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

We know Walter Football is your guilty pleasure. 😂

He was high on Detroit at the start of last season as well. He would have been seen as prophetic if not for a few injuries or last second FGs that prevented what would have been one of the NFL’s best Cinderella stories in years. 

Guilty as charged! LOL

I actually like his partner Charlie Campbell much more. Campbell has sources across the NFL and has done a remarkable job at mock drafting the last few years.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Saw an off-season power rankings this morning that put the Lions at #4, behind only the Bengals, Bills, and Chiefs. I don’t think that’s crazy if they can pick back up where they left off. FWIW, Vikings were at 11, Packers at 19, and Bears at 28.

that's a bit premature, imo.  they still have one of the worst defenses in the league.  

but they have a lot of young players, many of whom got better in the second half.  hopefully it continues.