2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

I’d like to see the Tigers sign Stroman, who I don’t believe can get a QO, as he had one last season.  I also think he’s the best and most realistic of the top of the order guys.

I also believe that Fulmer could be in the mix for SP, and I agree that we should not count on Manning in any significant way.  Also, neither Boyd nor Turnbull will contribute in any meaningful way in 2022–even if they can pitch a few innings, they likely won’t be very good (see Fulmer ‘20).

As for SS, I don’t think there will be a lot of suitors needing or willing to go $150MM+ for a SS.  Besides the Yankees and Nationals, which teams have both the need and the means?  We should end up with one of Correa, Seager, Story or Semien if we are truly willing to spend.

Edited by Tenacious D

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d like to see the Tigers sign Stroman, who I don’t believe can get a QO, as he had one last season.  I also think he’s the best and most realistic of the top of the order guys.

I also believe that Fulmer could be in the mix for SP, and I agree that we should not count on Manning in any significant way.  Also, neither Boyd nor Turnbull will contribute in any meaningful way in 2022–even if they can pitch a few innings, they likely won’t be very good (see Fulmer ‘20).

As for SS, I don’t think there will be a lot of suitors needing or willing to go $150MM+ for a SS.  Besides the Yankees and Nationals, which teams have both the need and the means?  We should end up with one of Correa, Seager, Story or Semien if we are truly willing to spend.

Fulmer to the rotation is definitely something I hope they are looking at - esp since you do have some MilB guys who might end up being able to back fill the BP. Cisnero is a question mark on this. His Sept created some doubt about what he's going to be in '22. If he is solid, he and Soto are a good R/L set for max leverage. If Cisnero doesn't recapture his command in ST, it would be harder to move Fulmer to the rotation.

34 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There better be more—odd that we would only announce those guys right now, unless the other guys (i.e., Garneau) are free agents.

I read the only Tiger FAs from this season  were Teheran, Peralta, Urena and Holland. Those 4 are already off the current 40 as per the Tigs MLB site - which was at 39 just now. (and Garneau is still there as well)

Edited by gehringer_2

2 hours ago, sabretooth said:

... Mize and Skubal will likely cover 60 starts with a projected 330 innings between them....

Mize and Skubal pitched 150 innings each in 2021.

That 165 inn's each projection is wrong.

It's 180 inn's each for a total of 360 innings.

Edited by 1984Echoes

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

I agree that 2 stud free agent pitchers and a shortstop will blow the budget. But we do need pitching especially for next year and Turnbull in 2023 is still iffy since it will be first year after TJ. Boyd is gone in 2023 for sure if not 22. So which do we prefer :

1.)  Paul Dejong trade if it allows us to add one of Stroman/Gausmen and one of Gray/Rodriguez  level. Or

2.) Trevor Story and Gray/Rodriguez and Wood/Heany 

3) Carlos Correa and one of Gausman/ Verlander/ Scherzer (unlikely)/ Wood/ McHugh.

3a) Plus (2) Teheran/ Peralta types for AAA. Oh... and maybe (1) Reliever. I'd really like to get Knebel back here...

That's it.

Edited by 1984Echoes

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

... and Garneau is still there as well...

I'm going to guess that they are probably going to hold onto one of Greiner or Garneau (and Garneau I think is the correct guess here...) and release the other guy. I don't think they need both. Or will be willing to keep the roster spot/ pay the man his money.... both.

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I agree that 2 stud free agent pitchers and a shortstop will blow the budget. But we do need pitching especially for next year and Turnbull in 2023 is still iffy since it will be first year after TJ. Boyd is gone in 2023 for sure if not 22. So which do we prefer :

1.)  Paul Dejong trade if it allows us to add one of Stroman/Gausmen and one of Gray/Rodriguez  level. Or

2.) Trevor Story and Gray/Rodriguez and Wood/Heany 

If the budget is to maintain a team salary that is way below average (and way below several teams in our own division, then yes, we will likely not spend the $$ needed to compete for the playoffs in 2022, and I'm pretty sure that we won't be competing any year after 2022 without at least a league average salary....unless we suddenly show an above-average ability to develop players that aren't top-5 1st rounders, which we have never shown much ability to do.

It takes drafting, trading, AND $$ to win consistently.  A few teams can win with less than an average payroll (Rays, As), but only because they do a superlative job at drafting, development, and trades, something that AA is incapable of matching.

AVERAGE LEAGUE PAYROLL OR BUST.  It's that simple.  

There's one thing that you are also overlooking Sabre (and those believing we need to sign two SP's which... we WON'T, book it):

Trading for another starter at the trade deadline. 

If it's an absolute must at the deadline, then maybe. 

But I still don't think we'll do that, because:

The Org will rely on Wentz coming up by the deadline or Boyd coming back.

They will look at other internal options prior to that: Like Alexander, Fulmer, Faedo, etc...

I'm sorry... but the Tigers are NOT signing two average or better SP's this offseason. You can be as upset as you want to be. It's just not going to happen. Any pitcher we sign beyond one good SP will be suspect/ AAAA/ on a minor-league deal/ Teheran recovery types/ etc.

Which is not a bad gamble to take on those types, and they CAN fill in some needed innings...

2 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

... an above-average ability to develop players that aren't top-5 1st rounders, which we have never shown much ability to do.

Are we talking Spencer Turnbull?

Or Tarik Skubal?

Or Tyler Alexander?

Matt Manning?

Derek Hill?

Greg Soto?

Kyle Funkhauser?

Dillon Dingler? 

I'm a little unclear on this... 

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Houston, Texas, Dodgers will stay in on Seager , Angels and Mets for Baez are all in the mix for shortstops plus the mystery team ! I still think Correa, Seager and Story all top 200 million and the first two 300.

32 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Houston, Texas, Dodgers will stay in on Seager , Angels and Mets for Baez are all in the mix for shortstops plus the mystery team ! I still think Correa, Seager and Story all top 200 million and the first two 300.

Houston—no (they would re-sign Correa)

Angels—maybe, but they need SP more

Dodgers—have Turner and won’t sign Seager

Texas—agree, they’ll be in the mix

Mets—already have Lindor

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm going to guess that they are probably going to hold onto one of Greiner or Garneau (and Garneau I think is the correct guess here...) and release the other guy. I don't think they need both. Or will be willing to keep the roster spot/ pay the man his money.... both.

without checking I think Greiner is out of options so he is likely gone.