2021-22 Tigers Hot Stove League

RatkoVarda

Another way to look at it is that, with Turnbull due back sometime late year/next year, the Tigers have to cover somewhere around  25-30 starts with some combination of their depth... having Pineda around, even with the injury risk, gives you a solid option to cover some (or possibly even most) of that load.

For the terms ($5 mil+ incentives), it's seems low risk/high reward for them.

Edited by mtutiger

28 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know who’s left besides Cueto. Do you think we’re going after him?

Hmm, I was actually thinking more like Julio Teheran perhaps. It would have to be a minors deal, with incentives. JUrena, Cueto, Chris Archer are still out there. I am surprised there has been little noise about Zach Davies who can give decent innings.

On the other hand if the Tigs have to give up Manning for Montas... Also if they are competing later they could go after reinforcements.

I have to admit I like what the SF Giants are doing with several depth options: CMartinez, MBoyd, JJunis, etc.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I see a lot of frustration on social media that they didn't go for Montes or Manaea, but given that those two very well could have required Manning as a piece of the package, I almost prefer this result . Good short term depth addition, gives them more flexibility with Alexander as well.

I like it also on the basis that, if Hinch decides he wants Alexander in the BP... then we aren't forced into pushing Wentz into the 5th spot.

If he's on fire down in Toledo, then he can earn his way into Detroit's rotation. I'd rather he earn his way to Detroit, rather than he, or anyone else, forced into the 5th spot under a stress/ duress situation.

I mean, that was Alexander last year, and he flourished. I just prefer affirmation rather than desperation.

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

I like it also on the basis that, if Hinch decides he wants Alexander in the BP... then we aren't forced into pushing Wentz into the 5th spot.

If he's on fire down in Toledo, then he can earn his way into Detroit's rotation. I'd rather he earn his way to Detroit, rather than he, or anyone else, forced into the 5th spot under a stress/ duress situation.

I mean, that was Alexander last year, and he flourished. I just prefer affirmation rather than desperation.

We'll need 8 starters, at least, this year, so since he's on the roster, We'll see Joey this year.   And I like Alexander's role of bullpen guy/spot starter/MASH unit starter.  It's worked out alright so far. 

43 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Another way to look at it is that, with Turnbull due back sometime late year/next year, the Tigers have to cover somewhere around  25-30 starts with some combination of their depth... having Pineda around, even with the injury risk, gives you a solid option to cover some (or possibly even most) of that load.

For the terms ($5 mil+ incentives), it's seems low risk/high reward for them.

Turnbull might be due back later this season, but realistically what can be expected out of him?  If he shows well in rehab outings, there will be a spot for him, either in the rotation or bullpen.  But it seems like having expectations for him to contribute significantly at the major league level if he returns this season might be a bit too aggressive.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I suspect they are done, and probably justifiably.  Some combination of Manning, Alexander, Pineda, Peralta, with Wentz, Hill and Brieske waiting in the wings.

This is good. if any of the young guys like Wentz are looking good at mid season, a guy like Pineda would probably draw a good trade return.

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

Turnbull might be due back later this season, but realistically what can be expected out of him?  If he shows well in rehab outings, there will be a spot for him, either in the rotation or bullpen.  But it seems like having expectations for him to contribute significantly at the major league level if he returns this season might be a bit too aggressive.

This season, probably not much if at all... I do think it's reasonable to expect him back in some form next year.

Overall, my point is just that the Tigers are gonna need to cover 25-30 starts at the back end of the rotation on account if not having him, and adding Pineda to the mix is a relatively low cost proposition to add depth in order to cover some of that loss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I just prefer affirmation rather than desperation.

Exactly.

2021 was a fun year, but on the pitching side, they had to be creative at times in order just to get through nine innings.

Injuries happen and there will be times where things are more lean, but am hopeful that will be less of an issue in 2022.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Shocker Carlos Correa to the Twins! 3/105 with opt out after 2 years. I'm just at a loss of words that the Twins signed him and he agreed to that little of guarantee money. 

He has opt outs after both 2022 and 2023...

It's a great deal for both Correa and the Twins... he gets a chance to reset the market after he opts out after this upcoming season. Twins get a guy who can maybe help them compete or, if they aren't competitive, would bring back a haul at the trade deadline.

The only real losers here are the Yankees, who essentially took on Josh Donaldson's contract to allow the Twins to sign the guy that their entire fanbase has been clamoring for them to sign.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

So are we better with Pineda than Boyd ? They both signed for the same contract. 

Boyd isn't going to be ready until about June - I think Avila wants depth for April if one of the Kids stumbles. Could be a little understandable over reaction to last April, but on the other hand they also have a bunch of near ready guys trying to prove themselves in the minors that give them a chance to maybe have another pitcher ready to call up by mid season - one of them might provide the same depth for the later part of the season Boyd would have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1