2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK - would it have been a bad story for Ohtani him if the truth was that Ohtani had paid off the guys debt for past loyalty and then fired him? I mean most PR type decisions make no sense to me anyway but how is the angle better for Ohtani to say the guy was able to steal from him as compared to Ohtani bailed him out? Whatever....

I certainly get them circling the wagons to protect Ohtani if the debts were his though...

It may not have been a bad story for him but it woud have been a bad story for MLB to have a player directly pay gamblers.

Even if it's not you making the bets, the important exchange is the $$, so it's not leap to say Ohtani is gambling, and then you have to find out if it's on baseball, then the Angels. In this regard it's not about who made the bets but who's bank account they came from.  That's who is doing the gambling.

MLB wants no part of that so they try to make Ohtani the victim of a "degenerate gambler"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

It may not have been a bad story for him but it woud have been a bad story for MLB to have a player directly pay gamblers.

Even if it's not you making the bets, the important exchange is the $$, so it's not leap to say Ohtani is gambling, and then you have to find out if it's on baseball, then the Angels. In this regard it's not about who made the bets but who's bank account they came from.  That's who is doing the gambling.

MLB wants no part of that so they try to make Ohtani the victim of a "degenerate gambler"

Or the interpreter lied. 

2 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Or the interpreter lied. 

Of course it takes a certain kind of chutzpah to steal someone's money and then when caught claim it was a gift....not that we haven't seen that kind of thing recently......🤔

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Of course it takes a certain kind of chutzpah to steal someone's money and then when caught claim it was a gift....not that we haven't seen that kind of thing recently......🤔

How many people would admit to the press they stole millions?

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

They should be getting (and maybe will) get a lot credit for rebuilding Casey Mize into a power pitcher - assuming he ends up as good this season as he looks now.

It’s a long season.  Hopefully he’s up to task.

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

OK - that's an interesting angle. While Tony remains the friend of the proletariat....

yeah the main issue is the lower-tier guys think they are getting frozen out. Meanwhile the Boras type guys ( in theory the top teir free agents) do just fine. 

So they are targeting the pal who did the last deal with hopes the new guy better takes care of the younger players. 

34 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

He had an ERA of 8.01 after his no-hitter.  As amazing as it is to see a no-hitter, sometimes it comes at a cost.  He threw 124 pitches in that game, which is a lot for a pitcher like Lorenzen.  Add in the number of innings that he was pitching and you can see fatigue was clearly a factor. 

Yes.  Besides the ERA, just look at his BB9 and SO9 with Detroit vs with Philadelphia.

I think the no hitter might just be a coincidence in terms of how his arm might have reached his workload capacity.  Throwing 124 pitches in a game that late in that season given the season leading up to it wasn’t optimal at all, no question.  But he was probably teetering on the line of diminishing returns for the rest of the season around then anyway.  Even if he hadn’t pitched the no hitter, if they’d have pulled him after 90 or 100 in that start, he was probably looking at a tired arm before the season ended.

I don’t want to bag on Lorenzen.  He pitched well for the Tigers.  As I said before, both sides benefited from the other, and that’s good to see.  It’s tough to rerack the off-season, but if the Tigers knew he’d have been available for $4.5M, I’d have been  interested in a return.  The risk is that his arm might be a bit of a concern this season after last season.  And given some of the roster decisions that the Tigers have coming up with the pitching staff, it’s tough to see where he’d fit in now.

12 minutes ago, KL2 said:

yeah the main issue is the lower-tier guys think they are getting frozen out. Meanwhile the Boras type guys ( in theory the top teir free agents) do just fine. 

So they are targeting the pal who did the last deal with hopes the new guy better takes care of the younger players. 

So the younger players are looking for leadership from the guy the handled the MILB CBA?  Perhaps MLB was going to contract MILB jobs anyway, but it is in an interesting wrinkle that the person that orchestrated a deal that removed jobs is thought of that highly.  And maybe that statement is unfair because, again, MLB might have been on the road to removing those jobs anyway.  Plus, the CBA did improve the conditions for the remaining jobs, and that certainly cannot be ignored.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

JD to the Mets a few hours too late for us to see him today.

Looks like a good deal for the Mets. Wish the Tigers would've signed him for that. Would immediately be the Tigers best hitter, and could serve as a mentor to the young'uns. 

29 minutes ago, ben9753 said:

Looks like a good deal for the Mets. Wish the Tigers would've signed him for that. Would immediately be the Tigers best hitter, and could serve as a mentor to the young'uns. 

Story on the Met's MLB page said they weren't interested in JD at $20M, or then $14M but decided he was worth it when he came down to $12M. Now, can he have himself ready to hit an a week?

Edited by gehringer_2

I thought it might be a good idea for them to pursue Martinez before they signed Canha, but there is no role for him now.  Martinez is little better hitter than Canha, but Canha gives them more flexibility.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, buddha said:

Eduardo Rodriguez is hurt already.

i am shocked.  almost as shocked as i was when he signed for a far west team after saying he didnt want to move earlier.

It’s close to his farm in Ohio.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ben9753 said:

Is J.D. the mentor type?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chasfh said:

First part is already happening, second part will never happen.

The only way anyone might get to the bottom is if the Fed's decide someone was dodging taxes. For that they will pursue it and the league's PR machine won't be able to stop it. But short of that, yeah it will get buried.

Funny part is that at least according to what I thought was a fairly up to date story yesterday, the reporter could not find any jurisdiction (state/local/fed)  where anyone in Ohtani's camp had actually reported that any crime had been committed, meaning that as far as he could find no-one in law enforcement even had a case to investigate yet. Hmmmmm

Edited by gehringer_2