2023 MLB (non-Tigers) catch all thread

Tigeraholic1

14 hours ago, chasfh said:

I may have been a little loose about "routinely", although of the 24 total pitchers who have won 300+ games, ten of them pitched in our lifetimes. So it's as possible that great pitchers could rack up 300 wins under a new deadened-ball era as it was for pitchers in the 70s, 80s and beyond to.

Its not just 300.  Its the lack of pitchers that have a shot at "merely" 200 wins.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I’ve seen pitchers throw like this, and I wish I could bring any of them to mind, because I’d like to see how their careers went.

Chad Bradford was the first to come to mind thanks to Money Ball. He pitched 12 years in the majors.

You can add  Kent Tekulve and Dan Quisenberry and Eldon Auker 

Edited by CMRivdogs

18 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

You can add  Kent Tekulve and Dan Quisenberry and Eldon Auker 

Have you ever read Elden Auker’s book, Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms? It’s a really good read. 

2 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Have you ever read Elden Auker’s book, Sleeper Cars and Flannel Uniforms? It’s a really good read. 

Thanks for reminding me.  I have been meaning to get it for a while.  I just ordered it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’ve seen pitchers throw like this, and I wish I could bring any of them to mind, because I’d like to see how their careers went.

submariners in general do not reach the Velos that overhanders do, and stress correlates to arm speed.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

submariners in general do not reach the Velos that overhanders do, and stress correlates to arm speed.

This guy is not a submariner. He’s a straight side-armer, and I’m thinking his motion might be harder/worse on his elbow than a submariner like Chad Bradford, or Tyler Rogers, might experience with theirs:

https://www.mlb.com/athletics/video/comparing-rogers-bradford

37 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Snell to the Giants.  2 years 62 million.  Opt out after year 1.  

Giants figured out how to get a free agent to sign with them.  Wait until they have no other options with a week left before the season starts.

Id rather have Snell at 31 million this year than Flaherty at 15. For 16 million more you are potentially getting 4-5 more wins and given where we are at on the win curve that could be the difference between the playoffs and not.

Of course the Tigers didn't know Snell was going to go for this low when they signed Flaherty but just throwing it out there in a hypothetical sense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Id rather have Snell at 31 million this year than Flaherty at 15. For 16 million more you are potentially getting 4-5 more wins and given where we are at on the win curve that could be the difference between the playoffs and not.

Of course the Tigers didn't know Snell was going to go for this low when they signed Flaherty but just throwing it out there in a hypothetical sense. 

Flaherty is also a comeback candidate wager in part, so a little different objective with him.

29 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I am not sure I would be willing to give up the draft capital for a single year of Snell.

• Like 2

The Giants cam to Boras rescue for both Snell and Chapman. Greedy lost this year.Snell probably could have had a 5 or 6 year 150, not 200, but he wouldn't have to worry about injury not that you can't live on 30 million after taxes. 

13 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think they did OK.  They got one of the best pitchers in baseball and they are not stuck with him long term.  

Agree. The Giants org has several starters within one year, or less, of being MLB ready. If Snell opts out it will likely play in the Giants favor and open up a spot for a younger pitcher and much less money. He and Chapman will most likely be one years deals in S.F.  

This could go in a lot of directions.

Is the interpreter a fall guy?  

would MLB have the balls to do something given the intense sponsorship from gambling companies and that it’s Ohtani?  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

This could go in a lot of directions.

Is the interpreter a fall guy?  

would MLB have the balls to do something given the intense sponsorship from gambling companies and that it’s Ohtani?  

merde a frappé le ventilateur?