04/03/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros

casimir

Just now, roarintiger1 said:

Gotta question taking Boyd out here.   Let the guy work through this.  He was pitching well.

I thought he struggled with his control tonight but he was just getting into a groove right before the Tigers extended inning at the plate.  I think that hurt him.  I agree with you though...Boyd should have been kept in.  

Just now, Hart said:

I thought he struggled with his control tonight but he was just getting into a groove right before the Tigers extended inning at the plate.  I think that hurt him.  I agree with you though...Boyd should have been kept in.  

I don’t know.  He did walk the 8th place hitter Dubon to lead off the inning, did he not?  

Just now, casimir said:

I don’t know.  He did walk the 8th place hitter Dubon to lead off the inning, did he not?  

Yeah.  His control was lacking but he battled thru it with a tough lineup.  It's hindsight at this point but Boyd at 70 something pitches vs our bullpen seems like an easy decision.  

Regarding Boyd, he was skipped last time through the rotation in spring for extra rest. I don't have pitch data or anything, but possible he was out of gas. Coming back from injury and pitching in relief last year, the leash is likely short for a while.

Regarding Cisnero, I don't get what they see in him.

Regarding LHP vs. Yordan, ask Robbie Ray how that went last October.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know how much choice he had after he couldn't sign Chafin

You don’t respond to an unfortunate incident with a bad response.  Cisnero is a near 5.0 BB9 and 1.50 WHIP.  Pass.

Edited by casimir

It's amazing what good defense can do for you.  We saw it with Tampa against us and then we saw it in that inning with Vierling and Maton having a huge effect in opposite directions.  

Edited by Hart

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

You don’t respond to an unfortunate incident with a bad response.  Cisnero is a neat 5.0 BB9 and 1.50 WHIP.  Pass.

no doubt. OTOH, each of the guys sent down had the chance to beat Jose out of his spot and didn't.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Regarding Boyd, he was skipped last time through the rotation in spring for extra rest. I don't have pitch data or anything, but possible he was out of gas. Coming back from injury and pitching in relief last year, the leash is likely short for a while.

Regarding Cisnero, I don't get what they see in him.

Regarding LHP vs. Yordan, ask Robbie Ray how that went last October.

I kind of question how the Tigers handled Boyd at the end of Spring Training.  I am sure he got work in the background but he went a long time without facing live game action after the Tigers cancelled his last start.  

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

no doubt. OTOH, each of the guys sent down had the chance to beat Jose out of his spot and didn't.

Oh, I don’t know.  Didn’t Miguel Diaz have a helluva spring?  I swear I remember one of the later cuts had a SO9 of 18 without allowing a runner.  Now, granted, I’m not not sure who he was pitching to, it could have been AA fodder.

Cisnero had a nice 30 innings in 2020.  Appreciate the effort, but time to walk away.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Oh, I don’t know.  Didn’t Miguel Diaz have a helluva spring?  I swear I remember one of the later cuts had a SO9 of 18 without allowing a runner.  Now, granted, I’m not not sure who he was pitching to, it could have been AA fodder.

Cisnero had a nice 30 innings in 2020.  Appreciate the effort, but time to walk away.

Yeah. Cisnero got the vet treatment... he was always breaking camp with this team