04/04/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros

casimir

If I could make a humble suggestion, leave the timing of pulling our starter pitcher (and the choice of who replaces him) to anyone other than Hinch/Fetter....they are a clean 0 for the season now. (Mostly kidding...but it has been bad)

We have 3 starters with WHIPs of .9 to 1.1, and ERAs around 5 thanks to whoever replaces them at the wrong time (the other starter was a TJ recovery/1st game back guy... that was allowed to go out for the 3rd after allowing 7 baserunning the first 2 innings and being at 50 pitches...leading to a 7 spot in the 3rd). 

Our 4 starters got the 'benefit' of the relievers going 5 for 5 on their inherited runners scored...and then adding on another almost half dozen on top.

I think Hinch and Fetters are a pretty good tandem, but if coaches got WAR states, they would probably be last on the team right now.

Sidenote:  After a couple years of watching the decisions, it is also a little tiring how Hinch always manages our pitching and lineup in the game(s) ahead of a Houston series such that the best version of us plays in these games...we have 1 win in a game before a Houston series to date and always seem to be in a mess after.   I mean is TJ Turnbull really our #2 guy/home-opener choice?  Or is he just the guy plunked there so that Boyd-Manning-ERod can be the Houston threesome for the series before the home opener?

...or perhaps I'm just seeing things (but mostly I saw Schoop, Kreidler, Cabrera all together on the bench to start a game for the first time this year)

Edited by StatikIEV

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

After Wentz's good outing and with Lorenzen almost ready, Manning may be pitching for his job. We'll see if he rises to the occasion.

if manning loses his job to a 31 year old journeyman starter, there are real problems with this franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

if manning loses his job to a 31 year old journeyman starter, there are real problems with this franchise.

Too wordy.  Should be more like:

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

there are real problems with this franchise.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

Yep, it's Lorenzen that should be in the pen.    I mean, he hasn't broken 100 IP in years.    

I just have this really strong feeling that Manning is going to end up with a long term injury.   

Does Lorenzen play OF at all this season?   Does he ever pinch-hit?   

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Yep, it's Lorenzen that should be in the pen.    I mean, he hasn't broken 100 IP in years.    

I just have this really strong feeling that Manning is going to end up with a long term injury.   

Does Lorenzen play OF at all this season?   Does he ever pinch-hit?   

He's had 2 plate appearances over the 2020-2022 time frame.  He's got 96 innings as a MLB OF.  I'm going to guess that slots him behind MeadowsA, Greene, Baddoo, Vierling, Cabrera (ha!) as far as MLB OF experience goes.

He's been primarily a RP since 2016, so, yeah, he's not been a 100 IP pitcher.  He had 18 starts and 97 2/3 innings last year, so about 5.5 IP/start.

2 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Tork hit that double so hard, it bounced off the wall and almost rolled back to the infield allowing Baez to score.

The ricochet was pretty cool.  Like to see the exit velocity like that.

And the heads up running to get to 3B on the throw to home.  So good.

Edited by casimir

Just now, Tigermojo said:

Schoop playing third. Kreidler was really good at third last year.

Another one I don't get it. If Schoop and Kreidler are both in the game what is gained putting Schoop at 2B? I can believe they may think Kreidler is already a better 2B than Schoop, but I have a hard time believing they think that what they gain at 2b isn't less than what they lose at 3b.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Schoop is useless. 

The throw was bad.  He did field the ball by the bag and his momentum wasn't necessarily in his favor.  But his strength is supposed to be his arm.  The throw looked tentative, but better to have bounced in front of Torkelson rather than be airmailed over him.