04/04/2023 8:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Houston Astros

casimir

2 hours ago, casimir said:

He's had 2 plate appearances over the 2020-2022 time frame.  He's got 96 innings as a MLB OF.  I'm going to guess that slots him behind MeadowsA, Greene, Baddoo, Vierling, Cabrera (ha!) as far as MLB OF experience goes.

He's been primarily a RP since 2016, so, yeah, he's not been a 100 IP pitcher.  He had 18 starts and 97 2/3 innings last year, so about 5.5 IP/start.

The way Hinch uses his bench, I could see Lorenzen getting a few ABs this year.  

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I say it every year, I'm stuck with the Astros broadcast and it is orders of magnitude better than the Tigers TV broadcast

It was so bad on the Tigers broadcast that I had to watch 75%of the game on the Astros broadcast....I'll be doing that most of the year I guess.

2 hours ago, Dtrain72 said:

I will never understand how someone with such an awful eye at the plate in Baez, has made it this far in his baseball career.  In all my 52 years, I really dont recal any other player being such consistent ass at the plate with zero discipline.

Some hitters feast on poor pitches. There's a video of Vlad hitting a HR on a pitch that bounced. Bàez does just enough damage to be decent.

49 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is the catch people wanted Austin Meadows to make last night.

As the CF he has the luxury of going balls out as the LF is there to field a rebound. 😀and an opportunity to have the play in front of him as opposed to over him. 

Said the same thing yesterday morning and that's that it's nice to not only wake up to a win but to see that the young guys were a big reason why and unlike yesterday I can add Tork's name to that list as well!

Perhaps I should start going to bed early before the games are over more often. 

8 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is the catch people wanted Austin Meadows to make last night.

Not quite.  Similar play but this one had a much higher degree of difficulty.  Meadows didn’t pick up the ball right away and wasn’t able to get himself in position.   A good LF would’ve caught that ball without having to leave his feet and the game would’ve been over.   

31 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not quite.  Similar play but this one had a much higher degree of difficulty.  Meadows didn’t pick up the ball right away and wasn’t able to get himself in position.   A good LF would’ve caught that ball without having to leave his feet and the game would’ve been over.   

Yes, the Bae play was more difficult to make and I do agree that a good left fielder could have taken a much better route and been in a position to camp under the Meadows ball to catch it. That’s the point I’ve been making. I don’t think even a good LF could have made the catch flat-footed, though. The ball hit off the wall about nine feet up. Maybe Chuck Nevis could have made the catch flat footed. Anyone in baseball would have had to jump.

I made the comparison because the angle both Bae and Meadows were taking upon arriving at the ball were about the same. Bae is a younger, far more athletic OF so he cold leap much higher up. Meadows has limitations that wouldn’t allow him to make his own play, let alone the Bae play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I don’t think even a good LF could have made the catch flat-footed, though.

right - it was his setup (or lack of it) that did him in. As any OF duffer knows, there is an almost irresistable tendency to want to just glide over and meet the ball at the spot instead of getting to the spot and waiting for it (if you can of course) or at least getting there with enough buffer to leave yourself options, but the latter is what you have to force yourself to do in a cases where things might get tricky at the end  - like at the wall. And it's doubly hard if you think you're going to have to jump because you can't get there too soon and give up your momentum either. That's why when a player gets it all right it's a major league play!

Edited by gehringer_2