04/06/2023 1:10 pm EDT Boston Red Sox vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

2295971E-CA3E-47B0-A8BE-D0708DFBF886.jpeg

I thought that was a pretty cool ceremonial first pitch.  Shepard referred to it as the "Mount Rushmore" which seems a little much.  But having stalwarts out there from the 3 other major sports and then calling Cabrera out was a nice touch.

I wonder if Cabrera knew about it?  I was watching BSD and it showed Cabrera in the dugout before the trio of retirees was introduced.  He had a sudden expression of awe and excitement while he was looking towards the dugout tunnel right before the camera showed WallaceB in the dugout.  If it was a surprise to Cabrera, it was very well done.

If Baez is going to stay here for six years—and there’s a better than average chance he will—then one of the top missions of Scott Harris has got to be acquiring an above average or, preferably, All-Star shortstop, whether by trade, free agency, draft, or whatever. Schoop will be gone and Baez needs to move to second if not next year, then certainly by 2025. He does have experience there—the Cubs started him there when Addison Russell had #6 locked down, so it wouldn’t be a complete shock to his system. And of course, his arm would play a lot better there.

How cool would it be if it turns out we already have that above-average-plus shortstop in-house with Nick Maton? Hey, a boy can dream …

Edited by chasfh

14 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Given the turnover this winter,  I was surprised they brought Cisnero back.  Fetter has his work cut out for him this year.  We will find out how much of an effect he really has.  

His one really good season was 2020.  Had it been a normal 162 game season, how would his final line have looked?  So, yeah, I was surprised when he was brought back, also.

I suppose every GM has his mystery moves.  Retaining Cisnero and Short are probably among the tops for Harris.

Was Vierling used at 3B this spring training?  We saw Baez used at 2B a decent amount and he's not been used off of SS.  Granted, it's only been 7 games.

But this is a game where the interchangeability of position players helped allow Hinch make some moves late in the game.  It was still a loss in the end.  But he had a chance to try better matchups later in the game than he would have previous rosters.

18 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If Baez is going to stay here for six years—and there’s a better than average chance he will—then one of the top missions of Scott Harris has got to be acquiring an above average or, preferably, All-Star shortstop, whether by trade, free agency, draft, or whatever. Schoop will be gone and Baez needs to move to second if not next year, then certainly by 2025. He does have experience there—the Cubs started him there when Addison Russell had #6 locked down, so it wouldn’t be a complete shock to his system. And of course, his arm would play a lot better there.

Was thinking along those lines as well. When, not sure...

Javy does have a good amount of experience at 2B really. Like you mentioned with the Cubs and also with the Mets, 2021, as after they got him at the deadline they put him at 2B with FLindor at SS. Also the WBC this past year. He could be an elite 2B IF the Tigs come up with a SS at some point (could even be RKreidler if he hits or PGraham, etc.).

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Was Vierling used at 3B this spring training?  We saw Baez used at 2B a decent amount and he's not been used off of SS.  Granted, it's only been 7 games.

But this is a game where the interchangeability of position players helped allow Hinch make some moves late in the game.  It was still a loss in the end.  But he had a chance to try better matchups later in the game than he would have previous rosters.

I think the current hope is that JHM learns 3B and becomes our everyday guy there, although because of his clanky glove that might be a bit of a pipe dream and may not still be operative by the All-Star break.

Although he did have at least one tweetable moment there this week:

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I think the current hope is that JHM learns 3B and becomes our everyday guy there, although because of his clanky glove that might be a bit of a pipe dream and may not still be operative by the All-Star break.

Although he did have at least one tweetable moment there this week:

I would guess that as well.

A couple of observations about Malloy and Nevin which are variables in future call ups:

• Nevin is on the 40 and Malloy is not.
  • Nevin is older (over 3 years older) and has more professional experience (2015 vs 2021 pro debut).
  • Nevin has played more as an interchangeable piece which would probably be a short term benefit to Hinch.
  • Henry is the long term play and so there is no reason to rush him from Toledo if he's scalding the ball but his glove still needs work.

I know it been mentioned that Schoop is likely gone by the trade deadline whether or not he is traded.  I'm not convinced he makes it that long if Nevin is making a case for a call up.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

I would guess that as well.

A couple of observations about Malloy and Nevin which are variables in future call ups:

• Nevin is on the 40 and Malloy is not.
  • Nevin is older (over 3 years older) and has more professional experience (2015 vs 2021 pro debut).
  • Nevin has played more as an interchangeable piece which would probably be a short term benefit to Hinch.
  • Henry is the long term play and so there is no reason to rush him from Toledo if he's scalding the ball but his glove still needs work.

I know it been mentioned that Schoop is likely gone by the trade deadline whether or not he is traded.  I'm not convinced he makes it that long if Nevin is making a case for a call up.

I think we'll be able to tell if the Tigers' plan is to trade Schoop at the deadline.  You'll see him in the lineup almost everyday to showcase his talent.   Not sure that'll be a good idea for either the Tigers or Schoop.  😉 

I still think Jonathan Schoop would have to have an utter Nate Colbert-style collapse for the Tigers to simply eat the remaining million-plus per month at any point during the season and call it a day. It's not even close to confirmed that his career is actually toast, which is what it would take, and really, he can slot into three different positions on the field if needed. The Tigers are going to give him every chance to shake out of his year-plus malaise, at least until at least end of July.

If we can't move Schoop by the deadline—certainly a very possible outcome seeing that it's only contenders who would have any reason to be interested—I could see his playing time drastically curtailed afterward and his tenure with the Tigers grinding to an ignominious end. At that point, he'll either move on to the Nationals/A's/Rockies/Marlins/similar; go play in Asia, perhaps Korea; or return to the Orioles for one last hurrah (or at least one last "huh?!") as the Devil They Know to close out his career.

After that, Jonathan Schoop will probably spend the rest of his life in Curacao, perhaps amusing himself by diving into a swimming pool filled with his money to start each day. One can certainly imagine a worse fate.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

How about Meadows? We need to start seeing some power.

That's a concern but I think that he will get a long leash, the entire season but not beyond.  I just looked at his career - that monster year in 2019, with the .922 OPS, is the only time that he's ever been over .800.  That is getting to be a long time ago, and I fear that the Tigers might have been guilty of some hubris in thinking that "we can get him back to that level", hubris being what every major league team seems to have in common with each other.

He is 28 and is arb eligible after this season so Harris will have an easy choice to make based on his performance this year.  As of now I would bet $500 (Canadian) that he does not get an offer.  It would be great if he could recapture that form and I hope he does, preferably here but somewhere.  It just does not seem to be likely.  You have to feel for the guy, on top of the world at 24, long career ahead of him (and tens of millions of dollars), and 4 years later at 28 seemingly having lost whatever it was about his talent and skill that previously allowed him to achieve such superior results...and having no way to recapture it.

I hope that this does not age well.

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's a concern but I think that he will get a long leash, the entire season but not beyond.  I just looked at his career - that monster year in 2019, with the .922 OPS, is the only time that he's ever been over .800.  That is getting to be a long time ago, and I fear that the Tigers might have been guilty of some hubris in thinking that "we can get him back to that level", hubris being what every major league team seems to have in common with each other.

He is 28 and is arb eligible after this season so Harris will have an easy choice to make based on his performance this year.  As of now I would bet $500 (Canadian) that he does not get an offer.  It would be great if he could recapture that form and I hope he does, preferably here but somewhere.  It just does not seem to be likely.  You have to feel for the guy, on top of the world at 24, long career ahead of him (and tens of millions of dollars), and 4 years later at 28 seemingly having lost whatever it was about his talent and skill that previously allowed him to achieve such superior results...and having no way to recapture it.

I hope that this does not age well.

He might be cleared out to make room for his brother.

On 4/7/2023 at 7:42 AM, chasfh said:

How cool would it be if it turns out we already have that above-average-plus shortstop in-house with Nick Maton? Hey, a boy can dream …

Maton has played more shortstop in the minors than anything else.  If he can be an average defender and hit at his career MLB average, then that would be great.  Obviously, there are a lot of ifs there.