SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Even this meathead gets it. 

All though I think adding seats to the Supreme Court will be more of an uphill battle. 

We want more people voting Democrat.  We just don't think candidates are entitled to votes.  If people aren't voting, the onus is on the candidates to make themselves more appealing.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

We want more people voting Democrat.  We just don't think candidates are entitled to votes.  If people aren't voting, the onus is on the candidates to make themselves more appealing.  

Hopefully the people who didn't vote because the Democrat wasn't appealing enough are satisfied now that Roe is overturned and will be when gay marriage is ended, voting rights overturned, and social security and Medicare eliminated. 

The older I get the more I realize what a waste 2008-2010 was.

There was an opportunity to do so much. A supermajority of 60-40 in the Senate, and all that was accomplished was baby steps towards a more equitable health care plan. That was an opportunity to pass gun regulation, make DC a state, reform the electoral college, codify Roe, the list goes on.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hopefully the people who didn't vote because the Democrat wasn't appealing enough are satisfied now that Roe is overturned and will be when gay marriage is ended, voting rights overturned, and social security and Medicare eliminated. 

I worry about social security and medicare, but I think eliminating them is going to be a really hard sell to the old white guy base.  I suppose they could grandfather in the old white guys and eliminate it for the yet to be retired people.  

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

There was an opportunity to do so much. A supermajority of 60-40 in the Senate, and all that was accomplished was baby steps towards a more equitable health care plan. That was an opportunity to pass gun regulation, make DC a state, reform the electoral college, codify Roe, the list goes on.

The problem is, a lot of those democratic senator were from red states where that legislation isn't popular. Six of those senators were from states who didn't elect a Democrat again; Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Louisiana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. 

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

They didn't want to do much becausde the Democratic center is not progressive and this is why young people don't vote.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I worry about social security and medicare, but I think eliminating them is going to be a really hard sell to the old white guy base.  I suppose they could grandfather in the old white guys and eliminate it for the yet to be retired people.  

They will sunset it in 10 years or so. I thought overturning Roe was going to be a tough sell but look at where we are now. 

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

amazing to me that Manchin and Collins are trying to convince their voters and the press that when obvious liars told obvious lies, and when they were warned that obviously these obvious liars are obviously lying, that Manchin and Collins were so stupid they actually believed the obvious lies

It's called CYA.

They knew it. They knew it at the time. They are just... CTA's

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They will sunset it in 10 years or so. I thought overturning Roe was going to be a tough sell but look at where we are now. 

They've been saying that Medicare and social security would be eliminated my whole life.  You can't really sell it to anyone because everyone pays into it and pretty much everyone benefits. I can see them chipping away at it at a slow pace so most people don't notice.    

Overturning Roe was a pretty easy sell to the brain washed MAGA base which the Supreme Court represents.  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

They've been saying that Medicare and social security would be eliminated my whole life.  You can't really sell it to anyone because everyone pays into it and pretty much everyone benefits. I can see them chipping away at it at a slow pace so most people don't notice.    

Overturning Roe was a pretty easy sell to the brain washed MAGA base which the Supreme Court represents.  

A lot of people are saying they won't actually go through with it like overturning Roe, but when it happens, OMG why didn't the Democrats stop the Republicans? 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

A lot of people are saying they won't actually go through with it like overturning Roe, but when it happens, OMG why didn't the Democrats stop the Republicans? 

But banning abortion doesn't hurt the people that want it.  Eliminating Medicare and Social Security hurts everybody except for a small percentage of wealthy people.  

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah I'm the one with the AR15 when I still haven't gotten a straight answer on how Biden, Schumer and Pelosi are to blame for the Republicans overturning Roe. Best I got was Pelosi endorsing one representative and Biden making a comment of McConnell being reasonable. 

You've answered your own question.  We need more Democrats in the House and Senate. Everyone agrees with that.  How?  The Democratic party has been saying, vote for us, we'll make your lives better...lower drug costs, health care, abortion rights, student loans, the environment, housing. What has been accomplished on any of those matters? Now we've got out of control inflation and a recession on the horizon on top of that. If you're a 28 year old with massive debt, can't afford a place to live, can't to go to the doctor, now you can't get an abortion, everything costs more, what's going to make you vote Blue?  They did that in 2018 and 2020, has anything really changed for them?  All they get is a collective, what are we supposed to do?  The fillibuster, Mitch, Fox News, it's not our fault we can't get things done.  What specifically is the geriatric leadership doing to fund or promote candidates or anything of that matter to get them elected?

They sit back and let the Republicans direct the narrative and they have no come back, no defense, no collective definitive message.  But just wait, now they're really mad and outraged, things will really change *this* time.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I'm NOT demanding votes. I am not asking for entitlement.

Pfife keeps yapping that I'm demanding he vote a specific way. Horseshit. Right above one of those yaps I had answered another of your posts asking "what if someone wanted to vote for a Republican?" and I said go right ahead. That's not entitlement.

But here is where I differ. I am stating uncategorically that every vote/ non-vote/ or 3rd party vote has CONSEQUENCES. I don't agree with your statement that "appealing" has to be a part of it. Consequences are the only thing that matters to me (maybe not to anyone else, especially for someone looking to be appealed to...). 

If this is the kind of country you want to live in, then by all means continue to vote Republican. Or 3rd party. Or don't vote (Republican voters are always more motivated than Dems so a few non-votes for a Republican doesn't block him/ her from gaining office). If you like this country the way it is, by all means, vote Republican.

If this is NOT the type of country you want to love in... then there can be no excuses. Not "I'm not motivated", not "doesn't appeal to me", not "not my candidate so I'm staying home", not "not my candidate so I'm voting for the other party", not "my vote doesn't count so I'm voting 3rd party"... There are CONSEQUENCES to all of these decisions. 

The country that we now have today.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I hope that opportunity pops up again some day.

And won't be wasted. I think it won't. I hope this country has learned its lesson.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm NOT demanding votes. I am not asking for entitlement.

Pfife keeps yapping that I'm demanding he vote a specific way. Horseshit. Right above one of those yaps I had answered another of your posts asking "what if someone wanted to vote for a Republican?" and I said go right ahead. That's not entitlement.

But here is where I differ. I am stating uncategorically that every vote/ non-vote/ or 3rd party vote has CONSEQUENCES. I don't agree with your statement that "appealing" has to be a part of it. Consequences are the only thing that matters to me (maybe not to anyone else, especially for someone looking to be appealed to...). 

If this is the kind of country you want to live in, then by all means continue to vote Republican. Or 3rd party. Or don't vote (Republican voters are always more motivated than Dems so a few non-votes for a Republican doesn't block him/ her from gaining office). If you like this country the way it is, by all means, vote Republican.

If this is NOT the type of country you want to love in... then there can be no excuses. Not "I'm not motivated", not "doesn't appeal to me", not "not my candidate so I'm staying home", not "not my candidate so I'm voting for the other party", not "my vote doesn't count so I'm voting 3rd party"... There are CONSEQUENCES to all of these decisions. 

The country that we now have today.

They have to be convinced that their consequences will be better with Democratic leaders.  

4 minutes ago, Kacie said:

You've answered your own question.  We need more Democrats in the House and Senate. Everyone agrees with that.  How?  The Democratic party has been saying, vote for us, we'll make your lives better...lower drug costs, health care, abortion rights, student loans, the environment, housing. What has been accomplished on any of those matters? Now we've got out of control inflation and a recession on the horizon on top of that. If you're a 28 year old with massive debt, can't afford a place to live, can't to go to the doctor, now you can't get an abortion, everything costs more, what's going to make you vote Blue?  They did that in 2018 and 2020, has anything really changed for them?  All they get is a collective, what are we supposed to do?  The fillibuster, Mitch, Fox News, it's not our fault we can't get things done.  What specifically is the geriatric leadership doing to fund or promote candidates or anything of that matter to get them elected?

They sit back and let the Republicans direct the narrative and they have no come back, no defense, no collective definitive message.  But just wait, now they're really mad and outraged, things will really change *this* time.

We voted red in 2016 and now Roe has been overturned. What specifically should the geriatric leadership be doing right now to get the senate to eliminate the filibuster? In 2018 the democrats didn't have the majority in the senate. They still don't. 

It's OK. Go pout and see how much better things get when the Republicans who put us here are back in power.