SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

47 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I forget which podcast it was, but the coach did have an interesting backstory. Down and out, suicidal. I can see why religion would be important to him, and if he wants to pray, as long as it isn't compulsory for players to do so with him, that shouldn't be an issue.

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

It is extremely difficult for a 16-year old boy to go against what his coach and teammates are doing.  So, yeah, it is pretty much compulsory

The only ones who possibly could get away with it is either the indispensable star, which not every team has, or the worst players on the team who are already not getting playing time, because they’re on a short timers list anyway. Everyone else who’s on the playing time bubble basically must comply. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

This is only marginally less bad than the coach example since students don’t rely on teachers for playing time, but on the other hand, teachers can also come down on apostate pupils by grading them down on work that’s more subjective in nature, such as work requiring composition or interpretation.

The other thing that can happen here is any pupil who opts out in public fashion could be setting themselves up for bullying by others, as well as creating problems for their parents once the news gets out. This will be especially relevant in small towns and rural areas, where everyone knows everyone else and local social status matters as an everyday concern.

20 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This comment will be scraped and paired up with your PII for future reference. 😉

I haven't played video games in a long time (is that Playstation II or am I even FARTHER out of touch than I suspected...?)

I'm thinking my IP address will be tagged and monitored though...

Edited by 1984Echoes

Just as an aside on the Coach/prayer ruling. I grew up with a fairly mainline religious background  (Presbyterian with a slice of the Church of the Brethren) where I was basically taught that effective prayers are done in private. Anything else is just for show. I'm old enough to remember the ritual of the Pledge and Lord's Prayer every morning in school. When I was older I came to realize that reciting the same thing over and over cheapened it. We were spouting words that really had no meaning other than delaying the learning process after a while. I feel the same way now. Pray to what ever version of the Supreme Being you want, but make it personal.

A bit more research on this guy shows that his prayers started this way, but then grew to the point that they made school officials feel uneasy. He could have just as easily moved from the 50 yard line to say under the bleachers or said a prayer inside the locker room if the players wanted to join. Instead he made an issue out of it and IMO invalidated any reason he had for prayer.

Just as an aside I'm friends with a former associate who is an elected county official. A few years ago she raised issue with her governing board that meetings began with prayer. All clergy they bought in at the time were from a Christian denomination. It raised some hackles among long time board members. Fortunately she had enough support to bring in representatives from other religions.

Levon Helm tells a story in his autobiography about going to elementary school in Arkansas in the late 40's and early 50's, and how every morning when attendance was being taken you had to stand up when your name was called, say your name, and then recite a complete verse from the Bible.  It didn't take very long for someone to discover that this is a complete verse:  "Jesus wept".  Eventually about half of the class was doing that, saying their name and then "Jesus wept".

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Levon Helm tells a story in his autobiography about going to elementary school in Arkansas in the late 40's and early 50's, and how every morning when attendance was being taken you had to stand up when your name was called, say your name, and then recite a complete verse from the Bible.  It didn't take very long for someone to discover that this is a complete verse:  "Jesus wept".  Eventually about half of the class was doing that, saying their name and then "Jesus wept".

I'd have gone for II Samuel 11:4. That would have been fun in elementary school.