SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

I liked this line from Mark Melman about SCOTUS in 'the Hill'

Third, Americans are coming to learn that the legal doctrines about which the justices intone are not serious philosophies, but rather, merely excuses for achieving personal political objectives.  

A Quinnipiac poll, before the recent rulings, found 63 percent believing the Supreme Court is “mainly motivated by politics,” while just 32 percent thought the court was “mainly motivated by the law

https://thehill.com/opinion/3540502-mellman-the-decline-of-scotus/

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Results oriented decisions instead of going where the theory takes you.  The complete opposite of what it should be.

I don't even want them to be driven by fidelity to theory. All theories are imperfect mappings onto real life. Every legal theory will end in injustice if pushed to it limit. We put living breathing people there at the top of chain exactly to do the sculpting when the necessary imprecision of rules and statutes runs into the messiness of real life. Their objective should be justice.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 6/27/2022 at 7:35 PM, Motown Bombers said:

I just went and signed this petition: https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Right_to_Reproductive_Freedom_Initiative_(2022)

Had to drive to Huntington Woods. Makes sense they wouldn't have any canvassers in Macomb County. Looked like they had quite a few signatures and they were only there 20 minutes. 

So they are saying this petition has enough votes to make the ballot. This will also help drive Democrats to the polls in November. 

51 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

So they are saying this petition has enough votes to make the ballot. This will also help drive Democrats to the polls in November. 

There will be a  lot of arguments after the fact about what 'fetal viability' means, but I'm going to guess this passes easily in MI

Edited by gehringer_2

I'll be on the edge of my seat awaiting how this one gets decided.  It's really a tossup!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/30/supreme-court-federal-elections-state-legislatures/

Supreme Court to review state legislatures’ power in federal elections

The justices will look next term at a case from North Carolina, where Republicans want to restore a redistricting map rejected by the state’s supreme court.

The case, called Moore v. Harper, is centered on newly drawn maps of voting districts for North Carolina's 14 seats in the next U.S. House of Representatives.

Republican state lawmakers want to resurrect a map that North Carolina's state courts struck down, finding that the map approved by the GOP-controlled legislature violated multiple provisions in the state's constitution by giving Republican candidates an unfair advantage through partisan gerrymandering. A court-drawn map has been put in place instead for this year's midterm elections.

In their appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, however, the Republican lawmakers argue that the U.S. Constitution's Elections Clause gives state legislatures the power to determine how congressional elections are conducted without any checks and balances from state constitutions or state courts.