SCOTUS and whatnot

pfife

10 minutes ago, pfife said:

It was real bad, I was listening to that on cspan.    The details of the case make it so much worse.  Recommend latest episode of Amicus podcast for more discussion on it.

You can only hope that someone like Kagan give him an earful in Chambers afterward. It's seem pretty clear there hasn't been much comity on this court for a while so I wouldn't doubt it.

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

It was real bad, I was listening to that on cspan.    The details of the case make it so much worse.  Recommend latest episode of Amicus podcast for more discussion on it.

Quoting from one of the comments in the thread..

"But it's ok if we get stalked, but not ok if we protest at Mortons when Brett is eating"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

You can only hope that someone like Kagan give him an earful in Chambers afterward. It's seem pretty clear there hasn't been much comity on this court for a while so I wouldn't doubt it.

If it came from anybody, my guess is Sonya. She definitely is the firebrand of the three.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

If it came from anybody, my guess is Sonya. She definitely is the firebrand of the three.

(She went to the same h.s. In the Bronx that I did before my move to NJ - Cardinal Spellman.  Of course, it would have been after I was there, because I’m older than dirt.)

More stuff coming out.  Crow paid private school tuition for a grand nephew that Thomas was raising.  No disclosures.

Even worse.... someone else did provide a gift worth $5000 for that person and Thomas DID disclose it.  So he knew the rules enough to disclose that one.

29 minutes ago, oblong said:

More stuff coming out.  Crow paid private school tuition for a grand nephew that Thomas was raising.  No disclosures.

Even worse.... someone else did provide a gift worth $5000 for that person and Thomas DID disclose it.  So he knew the rules enough to disclose that one.

The entire affair stinks.  Thomas has to resign. 

Unfortunately he won't.  The lines are drawn and he's got his typical defenders in the Senate.  We're stuck with him.  Resignation is weakness to them.

This is the new world we live in.  Gary Hart and Ted Kennedy could have been President under these rules.

51 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

People are so worried about SCOTUS, when they should be more worries about this.

CXJKhu1zF4rP.jpeg

Translation: "Corruption from my side is inconvenient to my arguments, so here's some unrelated stuff I'd rather you talk about instead"

Rinse, repeat

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Inconvenient to send him to a public school. They had to send him to a JR Military Academy. 

In my day that's where rich(er) boys went when they were considered too incorrigible to remain in public school. 

Justice Sotomayor Amends Financial Disclosure to Include SIX Trips She Had Previously Omitted

, via public records request, we discovered that Sotomayor’s trip to Rhode Island to give the URI commencement address included a free flight and hotel, which under federal law must be reported in an annual disclosure report. It wasn’t. Today we learned that her 2016 trips to universities in Illinois, New Jersey, Alaska, Wisconsin and Minnesota were also omitted.

https://fixthecourt.com/2022/06/justice-sotomayor-amends-financial-disclosure-include-six-free-trips-previously-omitted/

Sonia Sotomayor failed to recuse herself from cases involving her largest (by far) benefactor

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor declined to recuse herself from multiple copyright infringement cases involving book publisher Penguin Random House despite having been paid millions by the firm for her books, making it by far her largest source of income, records show.

So how much money are we talking? Well, right around $3.6 million, an amount which “dwarfed” her salary as a justice on the highest court.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/05/sonia_sotomayor_failed_to_recuse_herself_from_cases_involving_her_largest_by_far_benefactor.html

11 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Justice Sotomayor Amends Financial Disclosure to Include SIX Trips She Had Previously Omitted

, via public records request, we discovered that Sotomayor’s trip to Rhode Island to give the URI commencement address included a free flight and hotel, which under federal law must be reported in an annual disclosure report. It wasn’t. Today we learned that her 2016 trips to universities in Illinois, New Jersey, Alaska, Wisconsin and Minnesota were also omitted.

https://fixthecourt.com/2022/06/justice-sotomayor-amends-financial-disclosure-include-six-free-trips-previously-omitted/

3 minutes ago, digitalpigsmuggler said:

Sonia Sotomayor failed to recuse herself from cases involving her largest (by far) benefactor

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/05/sonia_sotomayor_failed_to_recuse_herself_from_cases_involving_her_largest_by_far_benefactor.html

Translation: "Swampy behavior is good when my guy does it, bad when the other guys do it. 

Whaddabout Sotomayor?"

I'm pretty sure the right wingers on the Court couldn't give less of a ****. Clarence Thomas will get away with it and that will give permission to every other Justice to engage in it if they so choose. Sure, it will destroy whatever is left of the public's confidence in the Court, but outside of the D-appointed justices and CJ Roberts, who cares? They have a mission, they are accomplishing it, they're getting paid, and that's all that matters, isn't it? Legacies are for suckers to worry about.

52 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm pretty sure the right wingers on the Court couldn't give less of a ****. Clarence Thomas will get away with it and that will give permission to every other Justice to engage in it if they so choose. Sure, it will destroy whatever is left of the public's confidence in the Court, but outside of the D-appointed justices and CJ Roberts, who cares? They have a mission, they are accomplishing it, they're getting paid, and that's all that matters, isn't it? Legacies are for suckers to worry about.

I was never under any illusions that Roberts was a conservative, but I did think that he did have some concern for the legitimacy and integrity of the court as an institution, but as this all emerges it sadly evident that he has been MIA as an honest adminstrator of this court and at this point has retreated to full scale CYA. I suppose that constitutionally he may not have any explicit power over other justices, but if had been at all interested he could have done a lot to institutionalize a higher ethics standard  - esp in the early years when the court was more balanced. Disappointing.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I was never under any illusions that Roberts was a conservative, but I did think that he did have some concern for the legitimacy and integrity of the court as an institution, but as this all emerges it sadly evident that he has been MIA as an honest adminstrator of this court and at this point has retreated to full scale CYA. I suppose that constitutionally he may not have any explicit power over other justices, but if had been at all interested he could have done a lot to institutionalize a higher ethics standard  - esp in the early years when the court was more balanced. Disappointing.

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt, but you’re probably spot on about Roberts.