Jump to content

04/17/2023 6:40 pm EDT Cleveland Guardians vs Detroit Tigers


casimir

Recommended Posts

Riley Greene is currently on pace for about 240 strikeouts............Please make it stop.    I do remember back in the day that the Tigers benched Rob Deer late in the season so that he wouldn't set the major league record for strikeouts. This is not an option for Riley.  He just has to get better.........right?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Riley Greene is currently on pace for about 240 strikeouts............Please make it stop.    I do remember back in the day that the Tigers benched Rob Deer late in the season so that he wouldn't set the major league record for strikeouts. This is not an option for Riley.  He just has to get better.........right?  

Seems like Riley’s bad start has been under talked about story this season so far….. I don’t know if everyone assumes he’s just going to be good player or what

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Seems like Riley’s bad start has been under talked about story this season so far….. I don’t know if everyone assumes he’s just going to be good player or what

They've found a hole in his swing and are explioting it. Now he has to fix it. That's the way it goes for a young hitter. If he figures it out in 100 AB or so he'll be fine. If not he'll be a bust - what can you do? He just has to play through it.

Early in his career they found out Trout couldn't handle the high strike and he slumped pretty badly for a while, he eventually adjusted and that's why he's Mike Trout.

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

They've found a hole in his swing and are explioting it. Now he has to fix it. That's the way it goes for a young hitter. If he figures it out in 100 AB or so he'll be fine. If not he'll be a bust - what can you do? He just has to play through it.

Early in his career they found out Trout couldn't handle the high strike and he slumped pretty badly for a while, he eventually adjusted and that's why he's Mike Trout.

Trout might not be the best example.  He struggled in 130 at bats when he was 19.  He had a 168 OPS+ in his second year.  Maybe Kelenic.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Seems like Riley’s bad start has been under talked about story this season so far….. I don’t know if everyone assumes he’s just going to be good player or what

At least this season, it seems like Tork takes way more heat than Riley when, in general, Tork has had a better approach and, while neither one has been that good thus far, has arguably been the more promising hitter of the two. 

Honestly think it's a case of how 2022 kinda set narratives around both of them.

Edited by mtutiger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Greene is going to strikeout a lot if he is good or bad. He has to stop grounding out to the pull side and turn those outcomes into fly balls and line drives.

From the Freep:

Quote

Y’know another Tiger who could use some pitches up in the zone? Riley Greene, who’s leading the roster in hits … and in hits. He’s also third on the roster in ground-ball percentage, at 54.3% (behind only Javier Báez, at 59%, and Miguel Cabrera, at 68.2%). In all, Greene has put 35 balls in play, with 22 on swings at balls down in the zone. 

 

Edited by kdog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Trout might not be the best example.  He struggled in 130 at bats when he was 19.  He had a 168 OPS+ in his second year.  Maybe Kelenic.  

IIRC what I'm thinking was a few years into his career as the league started moving to the higher K zone. He had come into a league where eveyone was trying to pitch low and he was a hitter that feasted on low pitches. His K rate went up quite a bit in 2014 and the conventional wisdom had become to pitch him as high as the umps would call.  He still hit well, just down from the prior MVP levels. But he steadily worked back over the next season or two - has never had another season with that kind of K rate.

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IIRC what I'm thinking was a few years into his career as the league started moving to the higher K zone. He had come into a league where eveyone was trying to pitch low and he was a hitter that feasted on low pitches. His K rate went up quite a bit in 2014 and the conventional wisdom had become to pitch him as high as the umps would call.  He still hit well, just down from the prior MVP levels. But he steadily worked back over the next season or two - has never had another season with that kind of K rate.

He struck out a lot in 2014, but he still had a 169 OPS+ and won the MVP.  If Greene does that, he can strike out 200 times!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trout did struggle with the high fastball early on but he was so good at mashing other pitches he still had great overall numbers.

Also that was kinda the beginning of the high spin FB up in the zone craze so I dont think pitchers quite mastered it yet so even though he struggled with it they didn't feel comfortable throwing it too much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Also that was kinda the beginning of the high spin FB up in the zone craze so I dont think pitchers quite mastered it yet so even though he struggled with it they didn't feel comfortable throwing it too much. 

Yeah - this was more the story line. He never had to hit the high FB on his way to the league, but as it started being used more he did learn to handle it better. Good hitters can adjust, hitters that can't adjust end up not being good hitters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

I hate people.

Then I have someone IM'ing me at work because he's listening to 97.1 and.....

 

Most of these same people complain and complain about how bad the team is and how much they hate watching it. And one imagines most, if not all of them, will not be among the hundreds that would actually go down to the stadium and watch in 35-40 degree weather.

Just can't argue with that lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      254
    • Most Online
      186

    Newest Member
    M Ruge
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...