Investing

Motown Bombers

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I got out of FCNTX about a month ago after being in it for about 15 years.  I also invested in GLD at the beginning of the year which turned out to be a good move.  It's not enough to avoid the pain though.  Most of my money is still in either SP500 or Bond mutual funds which of course are getting killed.  

Any specific reason you dumped it?

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Any specific reason you dumped it?

It's tech heavy and everybody has been saying it's going to be a bad year for tech with interest rates rising. So, I figured I'd take my profits and get out.  I got into gold.  I have most of my money in low cost SP500 index funds though.  

I sold WMT to cover a loss in HFC, which an ex-advisor put me in eight years ago and I’d been too lazy to be concerned about it until it went underwater a couple years ago. HFC is oil so I’ve been waiting for it to break even to dump it. It shot up since January to a chart high and I sold it last week to take a small loss (still up a bit after in eight years of dividends and adjusting for inflation). Since I sold it HFC has tanked by a third in just a week. Glad to finally shake it off.

I also sold off maybe a quarter of my position in VOO on Tuesday for a minor loss (dips I’d been buying the last few months) to further balance the WMT profit, then injected maybe a quarter of that back in VOOV and VOOG on Wednesday. I’d been thinking lately of diversifying that, too.

I bought UVXY (ETF on the Volatility Index) prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Yesterday, when Russia committed to the invasion and the market dropped, I sold it for a 35% gain and reinvested in a Nasdaq and a Microchip ETF which jumped after the market settled down from the initial invasion (I'm at a 15% initial gain but expect the market to be very frothy while this invasion is ongoing. But it's the Nasdaq, the only important thing to me is getting in near a low point and then just waiting for it to eventually rise again... it always does...).

I hate market timing and generally keep it to a minimum because it's just too hard.

But I think I got lucky/ did good in this instance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I bought UVXY (ETF on the Volatility Index) prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. Yesterday, when Russia committed to the invasion and the market dropped, I sold it for a 35% gain and reinvested in a Nasdaq and a Microchip ETF which jumped after the market settled down from the initial invasion (I'm at a 15% initial gain but expect the market to be very frothy while this invasion is ongoing. But it's the Nasdaq, the only important thing to me is getting in near a low point and then just waiting for it to eventually rise again... it always does...).

I hate market timing and generally keep it to a minimum because it's just too hard.

But I think I got lucky/ did good in this instance.

The stress of buying and then selling within days is waaaay more than I want to deal with.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I put a chunk of money (and have kept doing it over the past 2+ months) into different oil stocks and ETF's this year... doing really well there along with other commodity stocks/ ETF's I have...

I just shifted a little money in XLE, so I recommend you get out immediately. 😜

On 2/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, Tiger337 said:

It's tech heavy and everybody has been saying it's going to be a bad year for tech with interest rates rising. So, I figured I'd take my profits and get out.  I got into gold.  I have most of my money in low cost SP500 index funds though.  

Any concern about the S&P basically being a tech fund?  This shows that the tech sector made up about 30% of the S&P holdings on Dec 31.  More than double the next sector.

But don't listen to me.  In May it will be two years since I had a single penny in the stock market.  It has been sheer bliss.

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Any concern about the S&P basically being a tech fund?  This shows that the tech sector made up about 30% of the S&P holdings on Dec 31.  More than double the next sector.

But don't listen to me.  In May it will be two years since I had a single penny in the stock market.  It has been sheer bliss.

Del! Glad you made it here.

56 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Welcome back Del!

Yeah, S&P is tech heavy which was a good thing until this year.  It has gone down to 24% which is still high.  Finance has been the biggest gainer this year going from 10 to 14.  Energy has not gone up a lot yet which is surprsing.  I don't know how they time changes in weights.  I am not smart enough to stay ahead of the curve.  Otherwise, I would have invested in oil companies this year.  

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Thanks!

Been lurking quite a while but have been insanely busy lately.  A Ferrari P1 in qualifying today was enough to make me sign up and gloat a bit.

F1 qualifying was interesting today.  Ferrari starting 1 & 3 on the grid and a Haas even made Q3.  It doesn't break my heart to see Lewis and Mercs struggle a little.  I think we'll see a good race tomorrow.  

On 3/19/2022 at 5:22 PM, Tiger337 said:

Welcome back Del!

Yeah, S&P is tech heavy which was a good thing until this year.  It has gone down to 24% which is still high.  Finance has been the biggest gainer this year going from 10 to 14.  Energy has not gone up a lot yet which is surprsing.  I don't know how they time changes in weights.  I am not smart enough to stay ahead of the curve.  Otherwise, I would have invested in oil companies this year.  

I have eschewed my investing, and have hired Personal Capital to handle my, uh, capital. I'm really glad I did, they showed me some tricks to the trade, and I think I was able to make it through the roughest part of this inflation (I decree it will end asap) without too much of a dent in my retirement. So, of course, I get to go through another job change later this year. FCA/Chrysler/Stellantis is shutting us down, and is going with a cheaper/non-union replenisher. That gives me another 401k to rollover and play with, much to the dismay of Personal Capital, who would wish that I would properly diversify, but as Uncle Buffett tells us, there are not enough good companies out there to diversify, so just make money!

On 3/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, Tiger337 said:

You were not kidding.  I hope you didn't put too much in there.    

I did have a nice comeback on TQQQ, though. Bought it Tuesday when it butted up against support, sold it Friday after it rose to butt up against the 50-day line. This might be one of those rare chart-based wins.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...