06/12/2023 6:40 pm EDT Atlanta Braves vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

I feel guilty for not going. Would have been solo which doesn’t matter. But the losing streak and Cooler weather had me down. And I found out a co worker passed away over the weekend so I was kind of blah. Felt more like a chore to have to go. 

Of course I love the win but what gets me more excited was seeing Tork destroy a pitch 440ft  then hit the game winner, even if that game winner would've just been a long flyout under normal defensive positions it was still nice to see him come through and do his job in the clutch. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Of course I love the win but what gets me more excited was seeing Tork destroy a pitch 440ft  then hit the game winner, even if that game winner would've just been a long flyout under normal defensive positions it was still nice to see him come through and do his job in the clutch. 

TORK! did exactly what he was supposed to do in the 10th: hit it far enough so that even if it were caught, it would still win the game.

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Sometimes that's all you need to do.

We remember Miguel for all the homers and hits, but he also made a living hitting fly balls to get that runner home from third. If Spencer wants to hit his potential, he's gonna have to hit those long flyouts in that situation more consistently as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I like the concept, just not this execution of it.

I'll tell you the one part that did work for me. When Monroe is in the booth with Shep, most of the time he drops his voice register and does this sort of growling "I'm a dramatic voiced professional broadcaster" thing and it sounds ridiculous. Tonight sitting with Jones and Petry he spent most of his time just speaking like a normal human being and he was miles better.

I don’t like that nobody was really calling the action. They were just reacting to what they were seeing—you know, like fans do. Maybe that’s the new thing that people want on their baseball broadcasts. Not me. I think it sounds unprofessional, and I’m already surrounded by unprofessional-sounding people all day, anyway.

8 hours ago, casimir said:

Eat it, you insufferable whiney ass.

I will, for now...let's see if he can keep serving it up and not continue to be one the worst ranked/lowest WAR 1st basemen in baseball...I may be an unsufferable whiney ass, but so far, Tork's been part of this team being unmitigated poopy ass🤷‍♂️

Edited by Dtrain72

25 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

I will, for now...let's see if he can keep serving it up and not continue to be one the worst ranked/lowest WAR 1st basemen in baseball...I may be an unsufferable whiney ass, but so far, Tork's been part of this team being unmitigated poopy ass🤷‍♂️

The FACT is, he's hit the hell out of the ball all year, he just hasn't gotten results. That's baseball. He's done his job, just hasn't gotten rewarded. 

As of last week when I checked last Tork was in the top 5 or 10 as far as wOBA and xwOBA differential, which basically means he's been one of the most unlucky players in the league. 

If his actual wOBA was in line with his x then we'd be talking about an All Star caliber bat. 

I guess with TORK, even with the struggles he's had over the last two weeks, he's just not the biggest problem this team has at the moment. And AJ, for his part, has recently been slotting him in the two-spot with regularity of late. Some of that is lack of options, but even so it stands to reason he still believes in TORK and his approach, even if the results haven't been there much of this year.

I do admit having a lot of satisfaction at seeing him do what he did last night not just because he's important to this baseball team, but also because, fairly or unfairly, he bears an abnormal amount of brunt for their struggles as a team. Sure, it owes to his status as a 1-1, I get it... but he's still 23 years old with a little over 600 MLB ABs, who really didn't have a long stint in the minors. And the metrics are better this year, and unlike last year, he hasn't looked hopeless at the plate.

The best version of this team going forward has Spencer Torkelson as a big contributor to their success, so he should be given every chance to succeed. Especially given that, outside of Keith and maybe Jung, I don't see many possible studs coming up behind Tork (or Greene) at the moment

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I guess with TORK, even with the struggles he's had over the last two weeks, he's just not the biggest problem this team has at the moment. And AJ, for his part, has recently been slotting him in the two-spot with regularity of late. Some of that is lack of options, but even so it stands to reason he still believes in TORK and his approach, even if the results haven't been there much of this year.

I do admit having a lot of satisfaction at seeing him do what he did last night not just because he's important to this baseball team, but also because, fairly or unfairly, he bears an abnormal amount of brunt for their struggles as a team. Sure, it owes to his status as a 1-1, I get it... but he's still 23 years old with a little over 600 MLB ABs, who really didn't have a long stint in the minors. And the metrics are better this year, and unlike last year, he hasn't looked hopeless at the plate.

The best version of this team going forward has Spencer Torkelson as a big contributor to their success, so he should be given every chance to succeed. Especially given that, outside of Keith and maybe Jung, I don't see many possible studs coming up behind Tork (or Greene) at the moment

Yes.  And its not exactly his fault he was probably promoted too early and had to learn part of his craft on the fly with insufficient coworkers surrounding him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Yes.  And its not exactly his fault he was probably promoted too early and had to learn part of his craft on the fly with insufficient coworkers surrounding him.

Torkelson was unusually aggressive in his last couple of AB. That seemed like a bit of shift for him.

While I agree with Chasfh that in general there was too much pointless chatter from the three Amigos (Starburst anyone?) - there was one stretch when I think they had an interesting hitter/pitchers discussion. It started with Monroe saying he never cared much about the scouting report on a pitcher's tendencies because it didn't do him any good to know he threw pitch 'x', 'y' percent of the time, it's still no guarantee he'd get pitch 'x' if he looked for it on any particular pitch. That was fine, but it got better when Jones and Petry talked about how any good pitcher/catcher battery is changing their approach to each hitter based on what they are seeing from that hitter's swings in real time, Then even the further nuance that as a pitcher they knew that on occasion a top level hitter had 'set them up' by deliberatly telegraphing misdirection about his approach in an AB. 

The message I think being that in the flood of all the metrics we get (info from the past) don't forget to appreciate the games within the game going on present tense.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson was unusually aggressive in his last couple of AB. That seemed like a bit of shift for him.

While I agree with Chasfh that in general there was too much pointless chatter from the three Amigos (Starburst anyone?) - there was one stretch when I think they had an interesting hitter/pitchers discussion. It started with Monroe saying he never cared much about the scouting report on a pitcher's tendencies because it didn't do him any good to know he threw pitch 'x', 'y' percent of the time, it's still no guarantee he'd get pitch 'x' if he looked for it on any particular pitch. That was fine, but it got better when Jones and Petry talked about how any good pitcher/catcher battery is changing their approach to each hitter based on what they are seeing from that hitter's swings in real time, Then even the further nuance that as a pitcher they knew that on occasion a top level hitter had 'set them up' by deliberatly telegraphing misdirection about his approach in an AB. 

The message I think being that in the flood of all the metrics we get (info from the past) don't forget to appreciate the games within the game going on present tense.

That's pretty well said.  The metrics are an accumulation of historicals and may highlight tendencies.  But certainly aren't automatics and probably not to be relied upon in all scenarios.

I like Torkelson's process stats, but his job is to get results.  I probably sound negative saying that, but I am actually encouraged by his hard hit rate.  I just see a trend where people are starting to judge players on process stats rather than results.  It reminds me of the early BABIP phase when people were using BABIP as an automatic indicator of future performance.  As it turned out, there are some players where a high or low BABIP is part of their skillset.  I think we will find that with statcast stats as well.     

15 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I like Torkelson's process stats, but his job is to get results.  I probably sound negative saying that, but I am actually encouraged by his hard hit rate.  I just see a trend where people are starting to judge players on process stats rather than results.  It reminds me of the early BABIP phase when people were using BABIP as an automatic indicator of future performance.  As it turned out, there are some players where a high or low BABIP is part of their skillset.  I think we will find that with statcast stats as well.     

A couple of things yesterday. I posted in the game thread that twice he tried to ambush a Morton curve but popped it up. That's a good news/bad news kind of result. No - he didn't execute, but he did have the confidence to have a plan and he got the timing right, just not quite the swing path. The other is that he  has hit a couple of hard shots down the RF line (one caught by the 1b of couse!) on outside breaking balls thrown by guys with 95+ fastballs. Not quite Cabrera style but maybe the same idea of going the other way with the breaking ball. If those were deliberate and not just luck and he is trying to learn to make that kind of adjustment that is a pretty high level batting skill.

Edited by gehringer_2