07/22/2023 6:10 pm EDT San Diego Padres vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

12 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

We had a 3-0 lead and AJ just sat there while Englert set in on a tee over and over. Baffling 

Because AJ is smarter than everyone else.  Fans see what we see, but AJ understands things so much more than any of us that trying to comprehend what goes on in his mind would be like an everyday guy trying to beat Usain Bolt in a sprint.  The guy is a freaking genius and I don't think anyone ever could question his strategic acuity.  We are playing Old Maid and he is playing Star Trek 3D Chess on a Spock level.

12 hours ago, kdog said:

I want the Twins or Guardians to win games so the Tigers don't delude themselves into thinking they are in a race. I'm sure Harris knows the talent on this roster is years away. It's easier to sell when you are 8 games out.

He was always planning to sell no matter what. The only possible way he was going to buy to contend is if a bunch of these guys turned out to be All-Stars this year, after all.

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

If he wasn't a Rule 5 pick, he wouldn't be worth a roster spot right now.

But that is the sacrifice teams make... if they believe in his tools and aren't all in on making a run while 7 games out, there isn't a discussion to be had about dropping him.

No matter what the bloggers at BYB think

Plus, once we make Englert walk the plank along with a suitcase with $50,000 in it, who we gonna replace him with?

51 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Englert's stuff and ceiling is much higher than what he is currently showing. The issue is why? Injury, mechanics? They need to figure it out because he is a promising prospect.

100%.

Also as a practical example that we should all be able to understand, let's consider Will Vest who, for all intents and purposes, has been a pretty effective reliever for this club the past couple of years.

He was returned by the Mariners after posting fairly terrible numbers... granted in their situation it made sense since they were competing in '21, but ot also kind of stands as an example of how past isn't always prologue as well.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm just not a fan of letting a rookie take a beating like that.

That’s a fair criticism.

I think they were stuck in a bad situation and Englert is one of the few available to go multiple innings.  Trying to squeeze a 3rd inning out of him was probably too much to hope for.

Add:  Trying to get through this lineup more than once for someone that doesn’t have it is too much to ask for.

Which leads me to who was available last night and is the composition of the bullpen in terms of long and short relievers what it should be?

Edited by casimir

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Probably... In general, I think baseball fans tend to overreact to one game more than they should in a 162 game season.

That mentality works for football where there’s 10% of the games to play and one game going one way or another has much more magnitude than in baseball.  Of course one game can make a difference in baseball, that’s entirely possible.  But simple math says 1/162 isn’t as important as 1/17.  And given the circumstances of this team this season, one game ain’t diddly pooh.

30 minutes ago, casimir said:

That mentality works for football where there’s 10% of the games to play and one game going one way or another has much more magnitude than in baseball.  Of course one game can make a difference in baseball, that’s entirely possible.  But simple math says 1/162 isn’t as important as 1/17.  And given the circumstances of this team this season, one game ain’t diddly pooh.

The Rangers lost 16-3 yesterday. The Giants lost 10-1 against the Nats!

Games like last night just happen sometimes.

• Thanks 1

Keeping a player like Englert is what this season should be about.  Players with potential getting playing time.  I’m not sure what his upside is, but he’s shown flashes.  Ideally, he’d be developing in AAA, but that’s the price to acquire a talent for free (or $50k). A bummer he had to take his lumps yesterday, but he’s in the bigs, so hopefully he recognizes the opportunity he has been given.