07/22/2023 6:10 pm EDT San Diego Padres vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

20 minutes ago, AZTigersfan said:

They optioned White and not Englert??? That’s not the way I’d prefer them to go but oh well.

Englert is a rule 5 player. You can’t option him. You can offer him back to Texas or find a deal where the tigers can keep him permanently.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kdog said:

Englert is a rule 5 player. You can’t option him. You can offer him back to Texas or find a deal where the tigers can keep him permanently.

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Honestly I’d rather keep White and offer him back to Texas. I just don’t see him having the stuff necessary to be a quality bullpen member. At least not anytime soon. 

That's the 100th consecutive post-game interview with Hinch that I haven't bothered to listen to.

I don't want to be characterized as a "Hinch hater", or someone who "wants him fired", I don't think that that latter person actually exists here.  It's just that I think that he is completely irrelevant to the success or failure of the current team.

• Confused 1

I think managers in general, while not totally irrelevant have less relevancy than traditionally believed.  I think bullpen management is one of the only areas where they can win or lose a few games over the course of the season. The Tigers bullpens have mostly over achieved during Hinch's tenure.  I think a lot of that credit goes to Fetter though.  

Besides the bullpen I think the most important things managers do is what takes place behind the scenes. For instance Leyland's in game strategies would annoy me alot but he seemed to have a good feel for when guys needed a day off and when certain guys needed to play. 

45 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think managers in general, while not totally irrelevant have less relevancy than traditionally believed.  I think bullpen management is one of the only areas where they can win or lose a few games over the course of the season. The Tigers bullpens have mostly over achieved during Hinch's tenure.  I think a lot of that credit goes to Fetter though.  

I think usage patterns matter, how you sequence guys and how you schedule their work. Unless one of them happens to talk about it in some interview I guess we aren't likely to know how Fetter and Hinch split up planning those aspects other than being familiar enough with Hinch's managing in Houston to recognize whether he is doing things differently with Fetter on board.

I think it's possible for a manager to have a lot of insidious bad effects - particularly on young hitters, if he pushes them into or makes their playing time contingent on taking approaches that don't work for them. Again I don't know any a fan would ever know - at least not until long after the fact of a player leaving and going public with his grievances, which you can't necessarily believe either. And of course what an activst manager does might also work for a lot of guys. But that is the downside risk I worry about with a guy like Hinch who clearly has a more "interventionsist" kind of mindset around the how and what he want his hitters to be doing than for instance Jim Leyland ever showed.

10 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

I'm ok with Englert on the team. They were never going to contend but after he allows a few runs, why leave him out there to give up 7,8,9 runs?

Pat of the problem is that they are in the middle of 17 straight games with no days off.  I know, first world problems for baseball players.

But then you layer in the pitchers that are coming off of injury and still exposed somewhat to a pitch count.  And also add in the solo inning artistry of some of the bullpen arms.  And now a rain delay knocks the starter out after 2 innings.

It might not sound like much, but they had to cover 3 or 4 innings somehow last night keeping in mind that Sunday was going to be a bullpen day as well.  The roster construction and day to day circumstances bit them today with the rain delay.

And let's be honest about this.  Had they won on Friday, which they had several opportunities to do so, are there as many questions about how Saturday was handled?  Probably not as much, although tossing an "eat it" kind of game together beginning with a 3-0 lead still stinks.

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

If you think there's gonna be rain, seems like the smart play would be to consider an opener and bringing Manning in afterward.

But there may be other considerations that we as fans don't realize, idk

True enough, however....

10 hours ago, Toddwert said:

From the radar it looked like the rain just blew up west of Detroit so i dont know how much they could predict what was going to happen 

We got a cell hit us going from north to south.  I was looking at radar and lots of pop up stuff all over the region.  So the precip wasn't exactly a nice orderly front coming through.

On the plus side, the garden got watered organically.

9 hours ago, buddha said:

so we're sellers again?  lol.

They're sellers on Rodriguez and Lorenzen.  Hopefully for Cisnero and Shreve, too.

But they're buying futures, too.  Whether or not they're buying currents, well, that theory took a kick in the gut the last few days.

9 hours ago, Klondike said:

Hinch is always looking out for the well being of the players. Miggy was probably getting tired. it's getting past 10

Apparently the minor leagues have adopted a rule that any game starting after 9pm is a 7 inning affair.  I heard that while watching the Mud Hens game after the Tigers.  They were rain delayed as well, but before the game started.

23 minutes ago, casimir said:

And let's be honest about this.  Had they won on Friday, which they had several opportunities to do so, are there as many questions about how Saturday was handled?  Probably not as much, although tossing an "eat it" kind of game together beginning with a 3-0 lead still stinks.

Probably... In general, I think baseball fans tend to overreact to one game more than they should in a 162 game season.

8 hours ago, AZTigersfan said:

Thank you for clarifying that for me. Honestly I’d rather keep White and offer him back to Texas. I just don’t see him having the stuff necessary to be a quality bullpen member. At least not anytime soon. 

Englert's stuff and ceiling is much higher than what he is currently showing. The issue is why? Injury, mechanics? They need to figure it out because he is a promising prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Pat of the problem is that they are in the middle of 17 straight games with no days off.  I know, first world problems for baseball players.

But then you layer in the pitchers that are coming off of injury and still exposed somewhat to a pitch count.  And also add in the solo inning artistry of some of the bullpen arms.  And now a rain delay knocks the starter out after 2 innings.

It might not sound like much, but they had to cover 3 or 4 innings somehow last night keeping in mind that Sunday was going to be a bullpen day as well.  The roster construction and day to day circumstances bit them today with the rain delay.

I'm just not a fan of letting a rookie take a beating like that.