07/22/2023 6:10 pm EDT San Diego Padres vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

Just now, Tigermojo said:

I'm ok with Englert on the team. They were never going to contend but after he allows a few runs, why leave him out there to give up 7,8,9 runs?

If you think there's gonna be rain, seems like the smart play would be to consider an opener and bringing Manning in afterward.

But there may be other considerations that we as fans don't realize, idk

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

If you think there's gonna be rain, seems like the smart play would be to consider an opener and bringing Manning in afterward.

But there may be other considerations that we as fans don't realize, idk

From the radar it looked like the rain just blew up west of Detroit so i dont know how much they could predict what was going to happen 

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - Tichenor's been bad, really squeezed Manning to start the game and the ring up on Torkelson was ridiculous.

I’ve attended several AAA games this season and I am all in on the ABS System at the MLB level. Perhaps one year of Challenge System and then roll out the ABS in 2025…

10 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If the general belief is that this team isn't going to make the playoffs, I guess I'm unclear as to why they wouldn't try to carry the Rule 5 guy for the rest of the year if they like his tools and want him to remain in the system. 

I think we can quibble whether Englert is worth locking in a roster spot for the full season. But they don't have any real answers for pitching in Toledo..it's defensible.

10 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

You guys are viewing this season like they are trying to win the division…its a development year its been that from the beginning. Winning games and being competitive was just a bonus.

I want the Twins or Guardians to win games so the Tigers don't delude themselves into thinking they are in a race. I'm sure Harris knows the talent on this roster is years away. It's easier to sell when you are 8 games out.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

I think we can quibble whether Englert is worth locking in a roster spot for the full season. But they don't have any real answers for pitching in Toledo..it's defensible.

If he wasn't a Rule 5 pick, he wouldn't be worth a roster spot right now.

But that is the sacrifice teams make... if they believe in his tools and aren't all in on making a run while 7 games out, there isn't a discussion to be had about dropping him.

No matter what the bloggers at BYB think

2 minutes ago, kdog said:

I want the Twins or Guardians to win games so the Tigers don't delude themselves into thinking they are in a race. I'm sure Harris knows the talent on this roster is years away. It's easier to sell when you are 8 games out.

Years away? That’s probably too negative. No one saw Baltimore’s 2022 resurgence. No one saw Texas’s this year. Two or three moves go the Tigers way and a couple of developmental successes and they could be competing in a year or two. 

• Like 1

Just now, SeattleMike said:

Years away? That’s probably too negative. No one saw Baltimore’s 2022 resurgence. No one saw Texas’s this year. Two or three moves go the Tigers way and a couple of developmental successes and they could be competing in a year or two. 

They dont have the talent in the minors that the Orioles have and Texas spent a lot of money to be good

Just now, SeattleMike said:

They also play in the AL Central, which lowers the bar to competition a bit.

1 minute ago, Adullin said:

I was hoping that they sink or float. Looks like they made up their mind. 

Alternatively, maybe they just had a bad game today?

Even the good teams have their ***es beat from time to time in this sport.

Edited by mtutiger