07/26/2023 6:40 pm EDT Los Angeles Angels vs Detroit Tigers

casimir

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

We couldn’t afford to have an elevator in our abode.  We improvised by adding a helipad on our roof for the helicopter and then walked down.  But we rarely complained about it.

Helicopter pilots are expensive and famously unreliable.  Kudos to finding them in this economy. 

1 minute ago, Tiger337 said:

When I was a kid, we had no internet.  I had to wait until Friday to get all the stats in The Sporting News.  

I recall pouring over stats in the Sunday papers.  The league qualifiers were sorted by AVG and ERA.  Seems so primitive.

And Baseball Weekly (makes sign of the cross), God bless the old Baseball Weekly arriving on Wednesdays.  Those stats were almost a series too old, but damnit if they weren't worth studying anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

When I was a kid, we had no internet.  I had to wait until Friday to get all the stats in The Sporting News.  

The cost of getting someone to attend the game, run to the payphone to call me at the Club to give me the results of an at bat was ludicrous but worth it.   In the end I saved a lot by threatening the family of the person I sent to watch the games for me. 

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

The cost of getting someone to attend the game, run to the payphone to call me at the Club to give me the results of an at bat was ludicrous but worth it.   In the end I saved a lot by threatening the family of the person I sent to watch the games for me. 

Did you send a stenographer to take down copious play by play notes or did the simple scorecard suffice for your needs?

The Free Press or News would post "league leaders" once or twice a week and that's how I got my stats throughout the league. 

The first time I remember getting updated scores was on Headline News Channel, they were the first to run a live News/sports scroll at the bottom of the screen 24/7,or atleast 1st I was aware of. 

Then ESPN started doing it too but they only did at 28 and 58 mins after the hour. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1