2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I wouldn’t bank on Nebraska.  But then again, we’ve seen some upsets already and James Madison is up 17-7 over Virginia right now, so, you never really know for sure.

Nebraska was holding their own  for a while but couldn't overcome the constant mistakes from their own QB.  

After reading the USA Today article and reading Tucker’s comment where he admits to masturbating on the phone with a sexual assault survivor who was literally hired by the school to give talks to student-athletes on sexual harassment (!!!) I am FLOORED that Michigan State - of all the schools!! - did not placed him on paid administrative leave pending the results of this investigation. But instead they (probably illegally) dodged ESPN’s FOIA request and then conveniently scheduled the investigation hearing for a bye week five weeks into the season. Where are the adults???

Did they think that the alleged victim would not go public? Did they think they could just hide this? This absolutely reeks of a culture in the athletic program that learned absolutely nothing from the heinous acts of Larry Nassar and the tremendous shortcomings by the university in preventing further victimization.

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

After reading the USA Today article and reading Tucker’s comment where he admits to masturbating on the phone with a sexual assault survivor who was literally hired by the school to give talks to student-athletes on sexual harassment (!!!) I am FLOORED that Michigan State - of all the schools!! - did not placed him on paid administrative leave pending the results of this investigation. But instead they (probably illegally) dodged ESPN’s FOIA request and then conveniently scheduled the investigation hearing for a bye week five weeks into the season. Where are the adults???

Did they think that the alleged victim would not go public? Did they think they could just hide this? This absolutely reeks of a culture in the athletic program that learned absolutely nothing from the heinous acts of Larry Nassar and the tremendous shortcomings by the university in preventing further victimization.

As a parent of an MSU student I have to pay attention to this with a level of seriousness I wish I didn't.  My god MSU get your crap together.  But please don't hire a good coach. 

Mel Tucker is done.  What an absolute moron.  Getting involved with her is one of the dumbest decisions he could make.   Goodbye 95M contract and so long the hope of ever head coaching again.  

The only way anyone could survive this is if they were coaching at Michigan. 

Edited by Hongbit
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Mel Tucker is done.  What an absolute moron.  Getting involved with her is one of the dumbest decisions he could make.   Goodbye 95M contract and so long the hope of ever head coaching again.  

The only way anyone could survive this is if they were coaching at Michigan. 

Poor little Sparty bro trying to deflect.  

i enjoy taking shots at sparty as much as the next michigan fan but this seems more like a personal thing than something mel should lose his job over.  unless there is some sort of pattern here that is not in that very detailed report.  that said, if he was on company time or using the company phone that could be the hook sparty needs.

this is mana from heaven for sparty!  they can get out from under that horrible contract and fire him for cause!

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

i enjoy taking shots at sparty as much as the next michigan fan but this seems more like a personal thing than something mel should lose his job over.  unless there is some sort of pattern here that is not in that very detailed report.  that said, if he was on company time or using the company phone that could be the hook sparty needs.

this is mana from heaven for sparty!  they can get out from under that horrible contract and fire him for cause!

Hold up, what?  There is zero chance that this kind of "personal" conduct as you call it is going to be ignored, especially now that its gone public.  The only question is whether he's fired today or tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

This is our concern, Dude.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Hold up, what?  There is zero chance that this kind of "personal" conduct as you call it is going to be ignored, especially now that its gone public.  The only question is whether he's fired today or tomorrow. 

its "he said she said."  he says it eas consensual and she says it wasnt.

he's going to lose.  he's likely going to get fired.  we'll all be able to make fun of michigan state again and bonghit will be there to somehow make it about michigan.  dont worry.

• Like 1

Things get worse for MSU with every hour that goes by with Mel Tucker not being suspended from his duties. 

Being accused of sexual harassment by the person that you hired to teach your team about sexual harassment is idiotic enough but this is the foremost expert on the subject within the college football community.  She’s been hired and on site at at least half the programs in D1 and knows just about everyone in the college coaching profession.   This is such a poor lapse in judgment and not something that MSU can look past especially with their recent history.   

I feel bad for Mel’s wife.  That’s a lot of divorce money that she’s not going to see when MSU claws back $70M of his contract.  

25 minutes ago, MIguy said:

Poor little Sparty bro trying to deflect.  

Um, not quite. You don’t know so it’s cool. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, buddha said:

its "he said she said."  he says it eas consensual and she says it wasnt.

he's going to lose.  he's likely going to get fired.  we'll all be able to make fun of michigan state again and bonghit will be there to somehow make it about michigan.  dont worry.

This isn't some unknown person who comes out of the woodwork to make wild accusations against someone.  This woman travels the country giving talks and rubs elbows will all sorts of rich and powerful people.  If she was the type to make up false allegations looking for a payday or exposure, she could have done so a hundred times before she ever met Mel.

Mel is a sweaty pervert and is going down! 

Edited by MIguy
  • Like 1

If this was just a staffer, or a senior assistant, or some random fling by Tucker, it would be incredibly embarrassing for the school, and fireable if the sexual harassment allegations were sustained.

This is a woman who was brutally sexually assaulted by four members of the Oregon State football team in 1998. She goes to schools around the country, speaking to student-athletes, mostly football teams, about how to be good teammates and good men, and how to ensure that sexual assault and sexual harassment do not become a part of the culture, and how to react if a situation of sexual assault presents itself. In 2017, in the very infancy of the #MeToo movement, I had the privilege of listening to Brenda talk to a group of student-athletes and band members on my undergraduate campus. She was impassioned, serious, and devoted her life to sexual harassment prevention.

Even if we take everything Tucker said at face value, bad judgement doesn't even begin to describe the idiocy of his actions. Do you really think this woman, nearly 25 years after her attack, after spending many of those years combatting sexual harassment and sexual assault on college campuses, is going to enter into a consensual relationship with a head football coach? Even if you think the answer is somehow yes, do you really think that is at all even remotely a good idea?

I would be shocked if Tucker survives the week, but it blows my mind that he coached yesterday. For a school that paid out $500 million in settlements for Nassar, you would think they would learn something - anything at all - about taking allegations against people in power seriously. The allegations were made in April 2022. The second Tucker admitted to having phone sex with her, he should have been placed on paid administrative leave pending an expedited investigation... Instead, Michigan State has allowed USA Today and ESPN to run with this story 17 months later, catching them on their heels anyway. For WHAT?? And MSU sure better hope that this was a one-time thing with one person, because personally, I doubt it.

• Thanks 1

And then there is this. It gets worse and worse.

During the interview [with the Title IX investigator], Tucker also made an explosive new allegation: He said his associate had told him that renowned ESPN investigative reporter Paula Lavigne was investigating the veracity of the gang-rape story at the heart of Tracy’s public persona. The information, Tucker said, made him question how Tracy “goes about her business.”

Veidlinger did not address this allegation in her report, but Lavigne denied the allegation.

“Neither (Tracy's) organization nor Tracy is or has been the target of any investigative reporting,” Lavigne said in a statement to USA TODAY. “I’m perplexed that Mel Tucker would respond to a complaint of sexual harassment by involving me or ESPN.”

29 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If this was just a staffer, or a senior assistant, or some random fling by Tucker, it would be incredibly embarrassing for the school, and fireable if the sexual harassment allegations were sustained.

This is a woman who was brutally sexually assaulted by four members of the Oregon State football team in 1998. She goes to schools around the country, speaking to student-athletes, mostly football teams, about how to be good teammates and good men, and how to ensure that sexual assault and sexual harassment do not become a part of the culture, and how to react if a situation of sexual assault presents itself. In 2017, in the very infancy of the #MeToo movement, I had the privilege of listening to Brenda talk to a group of student-athletes and band members on my undergraduate campus. She was impassioned, serious, and devoted her life to sexual harassment prevention.

Even if we take everything Tucker said at face value, bad judgement doesn't even begin to describe the idiocy of his actions. Do you really think this woman, nearly 25 years after her attack, after spending many of those years combatting sexual harassment and sexual assault on college campuses, is going to enter into a consensual relationship with a head football coach? Even if you think the answer is somehow yes, do you really think that is at all even remotely a good idea?

I would be shocked if Tucker survives the week, but it blows my mind that he coached yesterday. For a school that paid out $500 million in settlements for Nassar, you would think they would learn something - anything at all - about taking allegations against people in power seriously. The allegations were made in April 2022. The second Tucker admitted to having phone sex with her, he should have been placed on paid administrative leave pending an expedited investigation... Instead, Michigan State has allowed USA Today and ESPN to run with this story 17 months later, catching them on their heels anyway. For WHAT?? And MSU sure better hope that this was a one-time thing with one person, because personally, I doubt it.

if/when tucker files a lawsuit against her and michigan state, that's when you'll find out what really happened.  the fact that she gets paid $10k a pop to speak about sexual abuse doesnt mean she cant get involved in a consensual relationship with someone on a football team.  she's a human being like everyone else.  which is not to say she DID here, but we dont know.  certainly looks bad for mel and was certainly unprofessional of him.  its likely to cost him his job and maybe his marriage.

i dont know if this is even subject to title ix, which is a point raised by mel's lawyers.

i want mel to win this because i dont want state to fire him.  i want them to be stuck with this bad football coach for the next decade or for matt ishbia to have to pay $80 million to buy him out.  make it hurt.

So, if Chris Creighton has another respectable year at EMU, will he get the offer?    Will it be PJ Fleck?    Does the Sweater Vest want to come back?    Maybe MSU goes fully insane and hires Bobby Petrino.     Hey,  what's Matt Patricia doing? 

I'm guessing Chris Kapilovic the rest of this year.  Maybe Scottie Hazleton.