2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

11 hours ago, buddha said:

you know what it means.  college football free agency determining success.  each year a new team.

Yup.

But, hey, if coaches can move from season to season, if non athletic students can transfer from school to school, why can't the student-athletes?

Duke played a great game but Clemson still shot itself in the foot pretty much every chance they got.

Another thing, that targeting call on the 4th down play that didn't allow Clemson to retain possession because it was considered a dead ball foul is such a stupid rule.  That pretty much ended any thoughts of a Clemson comeback.  

13 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I expect that we will start seeing more of these marquee early season games as the playoffs expand and the TV networks take over more control of the game from the NCAA.    

yup.  theyre not paying $8 billion to watch indiana play south carolina a & m state.  

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Duke had a nice season last year and they have a really good QB. But I didn’t expect them to take a 21-point lead over Clemson with 3 minutes to go. 

Such an odd game.  Dabo was 58-0 as a coach when his team was over 200 yards in both rushing and passing.   3 redzone turnovers including 1st and G at the 1 twice and they got zero points.   

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

its is possible that TCU and Clemson were a tad overrated if you look at what they lost going into this season

I think so, every year there are a few teams that when you look back at the end of the season or even midpoint you think to yourself "how were they ranked that high?" and I think TCU and Clemson can both be those teams this year.

I saw a tweet by somebody last night that said that Clemson lost something like 20 players to the portal including their starting QB l and only picked up 1 player in return and that wasn't even accounting for any players drafted.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think so, every year there are a few teams that when you look back at the end of the season or even midpoint you think to yourself "how were they ranked that high?" and I think TCU and Clemson can both be those teams this year.

I saw a tweet by somebody last night that said that Clemson lost something like 20 players to the portal including their starting QB l and only picked up 1 player in return and that wasn't even accounting for any players drafted.  

dont forget Brent Venables left 2 years ago and when they were good Clemson had a great Quarterback

1 hour ago, Toddwert said:

dont forget Brent Venables left 2 years ago and when they were good Clemson had a great Quarterback

Dabo is the hominid who saw the jawbone of the ass and told his players not to pick that evil thing up and had his clan of proto-humans wiped out by the clan that did pick up jawbones of asses. 

5 hours ago, Toddwert said:

its is possible that TCU and Clemson were a tad overrated if you look at what they lost going into this season

It’s possible.  It’s also possible that this is their low point of the season and they rebound and find themselves in their respective conference championships.  We just don’t for certainty who’s who and what’s what for this season.  This is especially true for a team like Colorado that turned over so much of its roster.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

LSU-FSU was #1 with just over 9 million.  TCU-COL was #2 just over 7 million.

dont think nbc isnt well aware that notre dame v sister mary of the poor drew barely more (1.5 million) than a soccer game, while ohio state v indiana drew 4.6 million.  rutgers-northwestern drew over 2× what notre dame did.

why is nbc going to give notre dame all that money for 1/3 the audience of big time big ten games?

43 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Youngstown State is hanging with Ohio State early, despite Marvin Harrison Jr. putting up a 4/122/2 stat line in just the first quarter.

This is the kind of game where I don’t feel compelled at all to watch it live.  I can take care of yard work or whatever else I need to and watch the recording whenever.  If I find out a score ahead of time, ok, whatever.  Heck, I might not even watch the recording.

I think this is a replacement game for a series vs Washington that was cancelled.  I’m guessing it was cancelled due to Notre Dame in two weeks.  It was probably that Washington was on the schedule, the series bs Notre Dame was agreed to afterwards, OSU didn’t want both Washington and Notre Dame in the same out of conference season schedule, and OSU bought out UW.