2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Depends on who is playing. They’ll travel for Michigan-USC or Ohio State-Oregon. Probably not so much for Penn State-Purdue. The Wisconsin-Nebraska Championship ten years ago game had well less than a capacity crowd at Lucas Oil. I doubt those fans will travel to Allegiant Stadium and fill those seats.

So if/when more conferences are eliminated, conference championships also go away.  It’s just a regular season followed by playoffs.

In the case of Wisconsin-Nebraska, do you go to Indianapolis knowing that there’s  another game to play, or do you go to a warmer bowl game?

Now move those fan bases to playoffs.  Do they travel early, wait for later?  Does it depend upon their seeding and/or who the competition is?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

So if/when more conferences are eliminated, conference championships also go away.  It’s just a regular season followed by playoffs.

In the case of Wisconsin-Nebraska, do you go to Indianapolis knowing that there’s  another game to play, or do you go to a warmer bowl game?

Now move those fan bases to playoffs.  Do they travel early, wait for later?  Does it depend upon their seeding and/or who the competition is?

so tell me again, once all the intangible ties to tradition and alma mater have been devalued, am I still watching college football when  the NFL is on 3 days a week? I mean if it's a minor league - I don't watch minor league baseball or G-league basketball.

I guess you see a little more offensive variety in college football because more things work that you wouldn't get away with against pro defenses.....

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

are you referencing the NCAA infraction case? LOL - this could fit the old Nasrudin story. Maybe if Harbaugh drags the case out for another year the NCAA may be dead before then.....

they'll suspend him for a whole season with a rule to show cause order.  at that point he'll quit and go back to the pros.

I'm a member of board devoted to Bowling Green State athletics.  We used to get together and tailgate before the home games.  A kid who had committed to sign found our board and showed up at our tailgate before a game.  He was welcomed to the party and given some free food.  The guy who covered BG sports for the Toledo Blade wrote a story about it....to make a long story short..the department self reported the "violation" and the kid had to give the University $10 to set things right.

F**k the NCAA...

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so tell me again, once all the intangible ties to tradition and alma mater have been devalued, am I still watching college football when  the NFL is on 3 days a week? I mean if it's a minor league - I don't watch minor league baseball or G-league basketball.

I guess you see a little more offensive variety in college football because more things work that you wouldn't get away with against pro defenses.....

Well, its going to be tough to keep fans from doing what they do on Saturdays in the fall.  And gambling is a hook to keep the interest going for those without a specific team.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, buddha said:

they'll suspend him for a whole season with a rule to show cause order.  at that point he'll quit and go back to the pros.

I don't know how many eyeballs Yahoo reaches anymore, but Dan Wetzel chimed in with a column they won't like

https://news.yahoo.com/sports/not-a-cheeseburger-comment-suggests-the-ncaa-is-hellbent-on-hitting-jim-harbaugh-hard-015020596.html

However, remember, no one is as obsessed with rules and procedures as the NCAA. Crawford’s statement potentially violated at least two of the NCAA’s own bylaws — 5.16.1 and 19.3.1 (we’ll spare you the details). The NCAA is supposed to serve as a fair arbitrator of its agreed upon rules. This was unusual.

It gets worse, of course. Crawford mentions — in the opening salvo — that the core of the case is “not a cheeseburger.”....

The thing is, Harbaugh has never come out and publicly argued that this was just about a “cheeseburger.” Neither has Michigan nor anyone associated with the case in any official capacity. They’ve stuck to “no comment.”

The NCAA is arguing with message board posters.

“Not a cheeseburger” suggests the NCAA is so embarrassed by the dragging it receives online, that it is hellbent on hitting Harbaugh even harder than its own enforcement staff thought was acceptable.

The weakness for Michigan if they really wanted to go to the wall for JH in court (not suggesting they would or wouldn't, but who knows?) would be that he's such a long way from a 'beloved member of the coaching fraternity" type where UM could expect any additional inside political support from other institutions.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, casimir said:

Probably only temporary anyway.

The roil in football I can understand, but what I can't understand is how all these supposedly smart people cannot figure out how to separate revenue from non-revenue sports and re-establish local conferences for non-revenue competition. The cost of travel is going end up killing the non-revenue sports at these schools. The non-Rev athletes will be the losers and it's just stupid. This isn't rocket science - put together an association so the tennis team doesn't have to fly cross country to play a match. Idiots. Blithering idiots.

Edited by gehringer_2

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The roil in football I can understand, but what I can't understand is how all these supposedly smart people cannot figure out how to separate revenue from non-revenue sports and re-establish local conferences for non-revenue competition. The cost of travel is going end up killing the non-revenue sports at these schools. The non-Rev athletes will be the losers and it's just stupid. This isn't rocket science - put together an association so the tennis team doesn't have to fly cross country to play a match. Idiots. Blithering idiots.

Common sense just isn't common, is it?

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

if it were easy, it would have been done already.

football super tv money has distorted everything and made the old model (geographic based "conferences") obsolete.  

7 hours ago, buddha said:

if it were easy, it would have been done already.

football super tv money has distorted everything and made the old model (geographic based "conferences") obsolete.  

I don't believe it's would be that hard. Universities already have more consortiums and joint working arrangements that span multiple schools for all kinds of other purposes than you can shake a stick at. They know how to do group stuff. the problem is they don't *yet* think they need to.

I can guess the process is going something like this: "We aren't  worried because we are going to make so much money we can afford sending guys all around the country for non-rev sports." Of course never mind that most non-rev sport competitors actually are students for whom that kind of time commitment will be a problem. But be that as it may, it won't be long before schools that are willing to beggar all their other programs to plow the most $$ back into winning the most FB games create a situation where everyone else also has to in order to compete, and all the other other actual student athletes be damned.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't believe it's would be that hard. Universities already have more consortiums and joint working arrangements that span multiple schools for all kinds of other purposes than you can shake a stick at. They know how to do group stuff. the problem is they don't *yet* think they need to.

I can guess the process is going something like this: "We aren't  worried because we are going to make so much money we can afford sending guys all around the country for non-rev sports." Of course never mind that most non-rev sport competitors actually are students for whom that kind of time commitment will be a problem. But be that as it may, it won't be long before schools that are willing to beggar all their other programs to plow the most $$ back into winning the most FB games create a situation where everyone else also has to in order to compete, and all the other other actual student athletes be damned.

playing out an entire schedule of athletics with the equipment, travel, venue restrictions, organizing spectators, charging fees, etc is a lot different than organizing a conference group of academics to sit and eat lunch and pontificate a couple times a year.  

8 hours ago, buddha said:

playing out an entire schedule of athletics with the equipment, travel, venue restrictions, organizing spectators, charging fees, etc is a lot different than organizing a conference group of academics to sit and eat lunch and pontificate a couple times a year.  

There are 7 figure research consortia with cooperative purchasing, joint logistics and management of major equipment at remote experimental sites. That Engin School does this stuff everyday. Legal details like potential licensing arrangements, etc, etc.. The Big U is more like a multinational corp today. University legal and logistics people could set up what they need for an alternative athletic org in their sleep. The holdup is not on the execution end, it's on the policy end. To finally separate out revenue sports will be to admit that amateur/student athletics is dead in those sports and no-one will take responsibility to finally make that admisstion.