2023 NCAA Football Thread

Deleterious

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yeah, I remember the Falcons and Saints in the NFC West and the Reds and the Braves in the NL West.  I remember wondering about that in a social studies class in grade school one day.

Football can get away with it, that’s fine.  All of the other sports with the more travel involved, it doesn’t make sense.  But, hey, whatever, I’ll still watch.

agreed.  unfortunately, its all about the football money.

2 hours ago, holygoat said:

This seems to have been a popular opinion, and I'm curious why. Everyone loved Dion for what he did at Jackson State, so why are so many rooting for him to fail at Colorado?

he's a self centered ass?  he went there and kicked half the team out?  he succeeded at jackson state because they were paying more than anyone else?

ive never cared for him.  that said, he'll be successful at colorado because he'll get top talent to play for him.

31 minutes ago, buddha said:

he's a self centered ass?  he went there and kicked half the team out?  he succeeded at jackson state because they were paying more than anyone else?

ive never cared for him.  that said, he'll be successful at colorado because he'll get top talent to play for him.

who knows, maybe he is a good football coach. We've seen enough examples to prove that doesn't preclude his humanity could also be seriously flawed. 

14 hours ago, MIguy said:

Oh boy, you sure got me.  I'll never recover from being wrong about the score of a football game.  

Um...   ok?

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think he was being mean, just poking fun. If any of us were good at predicting outcomes we’d be working for Vegas, not posting here lol

Yup, this.  If we can't poke a little fun at each other, if we can't poke a little fun at our own foibles, then what are we even doin' here, man?

Generic to the beginning of any new college football and definitely specific to Colorado this season, we just don't have anything to go on yet.  Rewind to a year ago?  Who knew TCU would make it the championship game last season?  Who knew OSU cast off Joe Burrow would turn into LSU pigskin god Joe Burrow?

Its why I hate preseason and early season rankings.  Nobody knows for sure what these teams are until they start playing that season.

8 hours ago, buddha said:

I see him as a s**t talker who usually backs up his s**t talk, but I get how people can be turned off by his personality. That said, if being a self-centered ass is disqualifying, then probably 80% of D-1 coaches gotta go! As for kicking out half the roster of a 1-11 team, so what? I'm not gonna hold it against a guy for taking advantage of the rules available to him to improve his roster. They were 1-11 for a reason.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, holygoat said:

As for kicking out half the roster of a 1-11 team, so what? I'm not gonna hold it against a guy for taking advantage of the rules available to him to improve his roster. They were 1-11 for a reason.

Didn't Tucker do pretty much the same thing at MSU? Heck, there was big exodus from Michigan when Harbaugh took over. Happens with every coaching change  - it's just a matter of degree depending on the local circumstance.

Edited by gehringer_2

43 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I see him as a s**t talker who usually backs up his s**t talk, but I get how people can be turned off by his personality. That said, if being a self-centered ass is disqualifying, then probably 80% of D-1 coaches gotta go! As for kicking out half the roster of a 1-11 team, so what? I'm not gonna hold it against a guy for taking advantage of the rules available to him to improve his roster. They were 1-11 for a reason.

ymmv.

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

“You can see where this is headed” what? Large schools in Texas (TCU… Baylor… A&M… Tech… UT) perpetually overhyping and underachieving? Welcome to the 21st century with that one.

(not directed at you Deleterious, just the thought that Baylor being incredibly overrated and losing to a Sun Belt school means more than that Baylor sucks this year just like they did last year)

Edited by MichiganCardinal

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Brian Kelly..........couldn't happen to a nicer guy.      

This is why high-ranked teams don't schedule other high-ranked teams early in the season anymore. 

Brian Kelly killed a kid. 

Yup. Why schedule Florida State and even possibly lose, when you could schedule Little Sisters of the Poor and win 65-3? LSU will probably have to win out to make the playoff now, while Alabama and Georgia can stand to lose a game along the way.

And Brian Kelly killed a kid.

22 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

“You can see where this is headed” what? Large schools in Texas (TCU… Baylor… A&M… Tech… UT) perpetually overhyping and underachieving? Welcome to the 21st century with that one.

(not directed at you Deleterious, just the thought that Baylor being incredibly overrated and losing to a Sun Belt school means more than that Baylor sucks this year just like they did last year)

you know what it means.  college football free agency determining success.  each year a new team.