09/19/2023 10:10pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Dodgers

casimir

17 hours ago, casimir said:

5937291998.gif  6348892012.gif

Detroit Tigers vs Los Angeles Dodgers

Watch:  Dodgers - SportsNet LA, Tigers - Bally Sports Detroit
Listen:  Dodgers - Dodgers Radio AM570, KTNQ 1020, Tigers - 97.1 The Ticket

ccc821137590ebde49751cbdd900760f.jpg

Made me wonder how many other well-known players have played for both the Tigers and Dodgers. I Google'd it. 167 players have played for both teams, with Brad Ausmus and Curtis Granderson being two recognizable ones.

21 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not sure what else he would say publicly.

Oh - he could have said a lot of things. He might have said something like  "We know  Lange has been fighting it and we'll try to reduce his leverage until he rights the ship" which is not unlike things he has said about other relievers who have had struggles in the past. 

For me it's mostly that I think they are oversold on Lange's repertoire. I go back to what I have always believed. It doesn't matter how much your breaking ball breaks (i.e. how well you spin) if you let any MLB hitter see enough of it and know when to expect it, they can hit it or learn to take it.  You have to be able to throw your fast ball (or something else) too, and Lange can't right now.

I think the org tends to be oversold on spin for the sake of spin on a particular pitch instead of spin as a tool to create variation between pitches.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Oh - he could have said a lot of things. He might have said something like  "We know  Lange has been fighting it and we'll try to reduce his leverage until he rights the ship" which is not unlike things he has said about other relievers who have had struggles in the past. 

For me it's mostly that I think they are oversold on Lange's repertoire. I go back to what I have always believed. It doesn't matter how much your breaking ball breaks (i.e. how well you spin) if you let any MLB hitter see enough of it and know when to expect it, they can hit it.  You have to be able to throw your fast ball (or something else) too, and Lange can't any more.

I think the org tends to be oversold on spin for the sake of spin on a particular pitch instead of spin as a tool to create variation between pitches.

I’m pretty sure Hinch knows a lot better than we do what the state of Lange’s repertoire is, so I doubt we have a better idea of what Hinch knows about it than he himself does. I would bet Hinch measures his public comments carefully to elicit the optimum response from his own players. I wouldn’t doubt that unlike Avila, who told everyone exactly what was going on in his head, Hinch has a somewhat different, or at least more shaded, view of Lange’s repertoire and his future prospects with the team then he is telling us through the media.

Edited by chasfh

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For me it's mostly that I think they are oversold on Lange's repertoire. I go back to what I have always believed. It doesn't matter how much your breaking ball breaks (i.e. how well you spin) if you let any MLB hitter see enough of it and know when to expect it, they can hit it or learn to take it.  You have to be able to throw your fast ball (or something else) too, and Lange can't any more.

That's the thing with relievers.  They become relievers because they don't have enough pitches to start.  They can get away with that in short inning stints for a while, but they tend not to peak very long.  

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I’m pretty sure Hinch knows a lot better than we do what the state of Lange’s repertoire is, so I doubt we have a better idea of what Hinch knows about it than he himself does. I would bet Hinch measures his public comments carefully to elicit the optimum response from his own players, and I wouldn’t doubt that unlike Avila, who told everyone exactly what was going on in his head, Hinch has a somewhat different, or at least more shaded, view of Lange’s repertoire, or even future prospects with the team, then he is telling us through the media.

well, I don't really care what he says about it, I'd prefer he act to reduce Lange's leverage because he has better choices. I know they don't really care if they win games right now, but as a fan I don't have to accept that.