09/23/2023 9:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

casimir

5 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Oh good call on Tigers/A's.

Thanks.  I forgot about his Oakland stint.

Knowing his background and the story of Detroit’s social issues, and having a spot in my fan heart for one team careers, it sucks to know that he was traded away.  And I know it had to tear him to pieces when it happened.  Seeing him trot out to LF for the last game at Tiger Stadium…., man, if that didn’t hit you in the heart for him, I just don’t know what to say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Thanks.  I forgot about his Oakland stint.

Knowing his background and the story of Detroit’s social issues, and having a spot in my fan heart for one team careers, it sucks to know that he was traded away.  And I know it had to tear him to pieces when it happened.  Seeing him trot out to LF for the last game at Tiger Stadium…., man, if that didn’t hit you in the heart for him, I just don’t know what to say.

Yes, say what you will about Jim Campbell but that was a nice touch.  Obviously the trade was made in spring training but Campbell brought him back to Detroit for one more game and started him in left field, which had not happened very often in the preceding years, so that he could hear the applause.

8 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Yes, say what you will about Jim Campbell but that was a nice touch.  Obviously the trade was made in spring training but Campbell brought him back to Detroit for one more game and started him in left field, which had not happened very often in the preceding years, so that he could hear the applause.

I think we might be talking about different “final” games.   I was referring to the final game at Tiger Stadium in 1999 when former Tigers took to the field after the game against the Royals.  I remember Willie taking his spot in LF, trying unsuccessfully to hold back his tears.

I don’t know too much about his trade out of Detroit.  I wasn’t even in grade school yet, so none of it would have made any sense to me at the time.  I never realized it before, but I see he played one game for the Tigers in 1977.  I think this might be the game that are speaking of?

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think we might be talking about different “final” games.   I was referring to the final game at Tiger Stadium in 1999 when former Tigers took to the field after the game against the Royals.  I remember Willie taking his spot in LF, trying unsuccessfully to hold back his tears.

I don’t know too much about his trade out of Detroit.  I wasn’t even in grade school yet, so none of it would have made any sense to me at the time.  I never realized it before, but I see he played one game for the Tigers in 1977.  I think this might be the game that are speaking of?

Yes, they needed to make room for Steve Kemp, so Horton was traded, but Campbell brought him back for Opening Day one more time.

10 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Just tuning in. So McKinstry on twice..once caught stealing and once picked off so a McStinky special. I hope Hinch's love affair with him ends next year.Third on the team in AB's despite a .643 OPS !!

Say what you will about whether Harris has done well or not overall, his incoming claim to that he was going to clear space for the prospects to play has been the worst kept promise since something that belongs in the political forum.